The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
stressed at AS haha wait for A2 - i'm slowly losing my mind :biggrin:
steph_v
No, not yet. I'm looking at having a gap year now, realistically, and retaking exams in my gap year. If I'd worked harder at AS I wouldn't be in this position now. See a counsellor if you think it will help, that's what I'm going to do.

How's the rest of your application, in terms of work experience? Got lots planned for the summer? If you ever get stressed, just think about your work experience and remind yourself why you're doing it :smile:

Aww, i think i'm gonna have to take a gap year too :/ even if its just to get my head together properly before i start.
Yeh my school are trying to get me to talk to a counsellor but i've been reluctant so far, think i might take them up on their offer now though.

Work experience wise I've only got 4 weeks for this summer so far, 2 in a rescue centre in spain, 1 with rspca and 1 in an equarium. I really need to get some large animal/farm work experience but theres a serious lack of it round by me :/ i love work experience :smile:
Reply 22
I would be very wary about dropping an AS and only presenting with 3 when you apply next year. Most, if not almost every applicant will have 4 or more, and as we have all found this year, you need things which make you look good/stand out in a good way, rather than something which might immediately make the Unis think 'hmmm, maybe she can't cope with the workload of 4 subjects, better not give her a place then.'

I took French AS last year, hated EVERY second of it, with a passion, was predicted a C and by some total miracle/fluke managed to get an A. I dropped it the second we came back to school in Septemeber and just focused on science, and I'm much happier. I'm not saying I'm not stressed about the workload, I am very, but it is such a weight off my shoulders not doing French this year. I am saying all of this because I think you really should carry on with it, especially if your teachers think you will do you well. It will be a good grade in the bag, might help you stand out against applicants who have a narrower range of subjects, and even if you just take it to put on your UCAS, if it gets you into vet school it will be worth it! Every little helps!!

Good luck!!
oaktrees
I would be very wary about dropping an AS and only presenting with 3 when you apply next year. Most, if not almost every applicant will have 4 or more, and as we have all found this year, you need things which make you look good/stand out in a good way, rather than something which might immediately make the Unis think 'hmmm, maybe she can't cope with the workload of 4 subjects, better not give her a place then.'

I took French AS last year, hated EVERY second of it, with a passion, was predicted a C and by some total miracle/fluke managed to get an A. I dropped it the second we came back to school in Septemeber and just focused on science, and I'm much happier. I'm not saying I'm not stressed about the workload, I am very, but it is such a weight off my shoulders not doing French this year. I am saying all of this because I think you really should carry on with it, especially if your teachers think you will do you well. It will be a good grade in the bag, might help you stand out against applicants who have a narrower range of subjects, and even if you just take it to put on your UCAS, if it gets you into vet school it will be worth it! Every little helps!!

Good luck!!

Hey thanks for replying :smile: wow i see you've got into bristol :woo: i'd love to go there :biggrin: do you mind me asking how much work experience/extra curricular stuff you had? I kind of know deep down that i shouldn't drop spanish, its just tempting when it stresses me so much.
Reply 24
GilmoreGirlsFan
Aww, i think i'm gonna have to take a gap year too :/ even if its just to get my head together properly before i start.
Yeh my school are trying to get me to talk to a counsellor but i've been reluctant so far, think i might take them up on their offer now though.

Work experience wise I've only got 4 weeks for this summer so far, 2 in a rescue centre in spain, 1 with rspca and 1 in an equarium. I really need to get some large animal/farm work experience but theres a serious lack of it round by me :/ i love work experience :smile:

Well, if you've only got the four weeks, a gap year might be a good idea too. Take a look at the sticky thread about work experience. Obviously you need to focus on school work at the moment, so the work experience could be done in a gap year. Plus, if you don't feel like you'd be ready to start university next year then that's a great opportunity to just relax, away from the stresses of A Levels. All the vets I've spoken to say that A Levels are the most stressful part of it all (with the exception of finals) because you're having to balance your application with it and there's so little time.

Just think positive, believe in yourself, as cringey as that sounds :smile:
Reply 25
GilmoreGirlsFan
Hey thanks for replying :smile: wow i see you've got into bristol :woo: i'd love to go there :biggrin: do you mind me asking how much work experience/extra curricular stuff you had? I kind of know deep down that i shouldn't drop spanish, its just tempting when it stresses me so much.

Sure I'll PM you, and anyone else, just ask, although there are other people on here who would be far more help!
steph_v
Well, if you've only got the four weeks, a gap year might be a good idea too. Take a look at the sticky thread about work experience. Obviously you need to focus on school work at the moment, so the work experience could be done in a gap year. Plus, if you don't feel like you'd be ready to start university next year then that's a great opportunity to just relax, away from the stresses of A Levels. All the vets I've spoken to say that A Levels are the most stressful part of it all (with the exception of finals) because you're having to balance your application with it and there's so little time.

I've only got 4 weeks booked for this summer but i've done 6, will have done 7 other weeks by the time summer arrives- 3 in vets, 1 kennels, 1 stables, 1 urban farm and 1 lambing.

haha i shall try to think positive from now on if i can :smile:
steph_v

I've only got 4 weeks booked for this summer but i've done 6, will have done 7 other weeks by the time summer arrives- 3 in vets, 1 kennels, 1 stables, 1 urban farm and 1 lambing.

haha i shall try to think positive from now on if i can :smile:
Reply 28
this is going to sound dumb, but the way i try and cope with stress is write my jobs/homework/coursework into a planner/book and cross them off as i go, doing one at s time, it's a more fulfilling way of doing work i have found, also you can see your progress!!!!
Reply 29
Keep with Spanish. Never let a subject stress you out to that point, if you are good at it and it sort of comes naturally there is no harm in taking it easy and doing the exam anyway. A D in AS Spanish (not that you would get a D) is much better than no grade after coming so far in the year. Take it easy and just keep it for the ucas application lol.
I wish I could speak a foreign language :biggrin:
Good luck
Reply 30
DJ AgnieszkaA
woah, how on earth did you get yourself in that position?
restecp just for attempting.

I move around countries a lot.... there is no guarantee that I will be there to sit A2 next year if I sit AS this year, so I have to get it done in 1 sitting....
Reply 31
GilmoreGirlsFan
Okay so I'm in year 12, and just got my AS january module results back and they weren't as good as they had to be. I got an A in Biology which is great :biggrin: but then a C in Chemistry not so great! I also got a B in maths but considering i stressed myself out immensely in the middle of the exam to the point where they nearly had to take me out then i think thats pretty darn great.
The obvious problem here is chemistry :confused: and I know its pretty much essential that I get an A, my teacher seems to reckon that it was more exam technique than knowledge that dropped my grade so we're gonna get my paper back and go from there.
However my 4th AS level is Spanish- which according to my teachers I will pass with ease and still get a good grade in it. Yet spanish still gives me the most stress out of all of my subjects and it always has, god knows why i took it for AS level in the first place, i mean it stresses me to the point where i attempted suicide the night before my spanish gcse and with the amount its stressing me now i'm scared that the same might happen again.
So what I'm asking is whether I need 4AS levels or not or whether i can get away with dropping spanish/ do you think i should drop something just because it stresses me and would it not be of more benefit to me if i kept on with spanish and found a way of dealing with my stress?

Heyyy,

I only did 3 A Levels... started doing English Literature but dropped it for the stupid reason that I hated my teacher. Who has now left college.

Anyway, I really regret not taking 4. I picked up Extended Project this year which is OK but I just think "Hmm, I could have 3 A Levels and 2 AS's if I carried on."

That's just me anyway :smile:

Stress-wise, it's horrible. I applied to Vet Med this year and it's kinda like "oh, I'm working so much atm to get the grades, then I don't even get a summer holiday cos of work exp." not that I minded actually, all my placements were fun. A change is as good as a rest eh?!

I found it really helpful just to spend a couple of hours making a really detailed revision timetable.

Look seriously at all your commitments, then work out how many hours, realistically you'll be wanting to do each night. For example, if you go swimming every Wednesday after your longest day at College, chances are you won't be wanting to do much, so don't plan to get through a whole module of Chemistry on a Wednesday night.

Go through the syllabus and break it up, plan EXACTLY what you are going to do and print it off so you can cross things out when you have covered them. It doesn't sort out the problem of how much work you have to do, just spreads it out a bit and, for me, made it realise that it was manageable, as long as I did it in small chunks.

Hope that helps! X :o:

p.s. I love Gilmore Girls too :P

Latest

Trending

Trending