The Student Room Group

Whats the point in degrees in sociology/philosophy?

Scroll to see replies

jedpea
I do and i belive that if you want to do a degree for self enrichment/not to grow up/ to have alot of fun for 3 years then you should not recieve any gouverment help as you provide no benefit for your time at uni.

How sad that in a supposed developed nation such a pathetic utilitarian view of education is not only thought but that the person proposing it doesn't feel utterly embarrassed putting the view in the public domain. There are vocational degrees that are utterly redundant these days. For instance the UK produces more accountants each year than the rest of europe put together. How many accountants does a country need?
Reply 21
JB Johnstone
Philosophy teaches you to think, no?
For most non degree specific jobs surely it should be about as useful as a science or maths degree?

No because maths and science is alot more complicated also you actually get to learn about actual real life things and help to research genuine work.
jedpea
There are very few jobs to which sociology or philosophy can be applied too. The argument that you can become a sociology teacher or lecturer seems pretty self defeating.
There seems to be no benefit to future employers and i belive that the time could be better spent at an aprentiship or doing on the job training.

If you wanted to work in human resources, or social housing, immigration etc. sociology is quite useful
You're not really looking at degrees in the right way, OP. Just because there are no jobs really related to philosophy or sociology doesn't mean they're useless. They teach you to think in different ways and they both require lots of essay writing. These are skills that employers value and will therefore be valuable in the workplace. By your logic, everybody who studies economics will become economists and everyone who studies politics will become politicians.
jedpea
Surely a degree in enginering would be able to teach you to think rationally and would help you suceed in a career path alot more as it involves alot more pratical and real world thinking.

Equally with sociology i imagine it is good to have a few people who are able ot have opions on how society works. whats the point in having thousands of people who know the same amount about how society works?

nope, a degree in engineering teaches you to think mathematically.....rationality is a different thing.

You dont even know what philosophy is do you? 99 % of it could be defined as 'real world thinking'.

What about jobs that arent practical?

The point of having thousands of people who all know how society works is because there are hundreds and thousands of people who work in (and for)society.
these kinda threads suck!
Sociology teaches us to think critically about the social world around us. An incredibly important faculty! On a more tangible level though, it helps us to formulate social policy which (hopefully) is beneficial to the greatest number of people possible. This plays out especially in the field of the sociology of health/medicine. The **** runs deep son.
Reply 27
hypocriticaljap
How sad that in a supposed developed nation such a pathetic utilitarian view of education is not only thought but that the person proposing it doesn't feel utterly embarrassed putting the view in the public domain. There are vocational degrees that are utterly redundant these days. For instance the UK produces more accountants each year than the rest of europe put together. How many accountants does a country need?

Do you by any chance take a philosophy degree, i promised not to turn this into a slanging match but when you come out with pretentious stuff like this i find it difficult. I imagine you think the education is very important and make you somehow better than uneducated people. I hope I never have to sit next to you at a dinner party.
jedpea
Im hopping to study economics and mathmatics at wariwck(firm) or bristol (insurance)

Using your narrow utilitarian approach please justify your study of economics. The best you can hope to be is a parisitic economist, not actually producing anything but fiddling with figures.
Reply 29
Every degree requires philosophical thinking, its more than just an academic subject - Call it a life skill if you like.

And i actually disagree when you mentioned subs like sociology and philosophy (in particular) don't hold much chance in employment fields. I'm not so sure about Socio. but with Philosophy you could go into accountancy, writing, lecturing, teaching e.t.c.
Reply 30
morecambebay
nope, a degree in engineering teaches you to think mathematically.....rationality is a different thing.

You dont even know what philosophy is do you? 99 % of it could be defined as 'real world thinking'.

What about jobs that arent practical?

The point of having thousands of people who all know how society works is because there are hundreds and thousands of people who work in (and for)society.

Im not entirely sure what philosophy is and your not entirly sure what enginering or maths is. How can philosophy be defined as real word thinking. Do you actually learn anything or do you just leanr the benefits of learning, how to learn and why to learn?
jedpea
Do you by any chance take a philosophy degree, i promised not to turn this into a slanging match but when you come out with pretentious stuff like this i find it difficult. I imagine you think the education is very important and make you somehow better than uneducated people. I hope I never have to sit next to you at a dinner party.

A maths graduate actually but stupidly un thought out garbage like yours is humiliating to have to read.
When you are an old man/woman and you can or can't have access to free care the decision will have been determined by political philosophy.
jedpea

I imagine he does think education is important, yes. Most people do.

And using big words does not make him pretentious.
Reply 33
They may not be directly vocational-but how many degrees are? Many people with things such as maths/science degrees dont go into maths and science. My mum is the youngest NHS director in the country and she has a sociology degree....
I don't think there is such a thing as a useless degree. Even degrees that lots of people on TSR like to label as 'mickey mouse' degrees still teach people some valuable skills which employers can relate to.
Reply 35
You could make this argument about any university subject in all honesty. A degree shows an employer certain skills and can be useful whatever its nature. A philosopher might want to study the subject in order to publish academic works or teach it, or he might simply pursue an office job somewhere and be able to demonstrate his powers of reasoning and argument construction with the degree.
Reply 36
hypocriticaljap
Using your narrow utilitarian approach please justify your study of economics. The best you can hope to be is a parisitic economist, not actually producing anything but fiddling with figures.

Im studying economics and maths to make me an attractive candidate when I attempt to become employed in a fund managment fund. I will then attempt to grow peoples savings. What do you intend to do?
Philosophy is an awesome degree that opens up a ton of options.
jedpea
I was wondering what the point in doing degrees that have no real application in the real world. I understand that some people maybe intrested/good at these subjects but is there any point in the gouverment paying towards people doing these degrees and is not a waste of 3+ years. Sociology and philosophy were just the first degrees I could think of but I beleive there are lots of other pointless degrees out there.

Philosophy has no trade associated with it but it is very ignorant to suggest that it has no real world application. Philosophy is probably the single best subject for teaching someone to think in a logical, clear and constructive manner. It also helps people understand the way the world works, and many sciences and mathematics based subjects actually defer to philosophers when they hit intellectual brick walls.

Yes, there is a certain amount of "why am I here?" going on but during my philosophy degree I have covered religion, science (maths and theoretical physics), language, metaphysics . . . the list goes on. I now have a far more developed sense of the "real world" than I had before I came to university and I am able to argue in a clear and reasoned manner.

The kind of skills that philosophy teaches can be applied to a very wide range of professions.

It could be argued that learning how to think is a precursor to any number of other careers or specializations.
Reply 39
jedpea
No because maths and science is alot more complicated also you actually get to learn about actual real life things and help to research genuine work.

Not really. Science (certainly at GCSE and A-level) is more about memorising. I don't do any sciences anymore because I found them really boring due to the lack of independent thought - I learnt the textbook for my GCSEs and got A*s in science. The arts subjects take a lot more work and are a lot more complicated.

Also philosophy is very real life - what's more 'real' than whether or not we exist? Philosophy deals with intrinsic questions about reality and life. And if you want something more concrete, philosophy of ethics is incredibly important too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending