The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

changing from regular uni to open university

Hi,
So heres the story I'm in first year uni in Edinburgh (Napier) which i like ok i dont love it but up until christmas i was ok with it. Things sort of change at home (Northern Ireland) emotionally and financially and am now considering going home. I can't switch to uni there however as my course (Social Sciences Ba hons) isnt available. I know I could end the course here early but i would prefer to qualify as ba hons.
I like most people worry about how open university courses are seen by other people. I want to teach but am concerned about the number of teaching jobs and therefore like the freedom social science gives me. But at the same time am concerned that open uni degrees wont be seen as a good degree to start teaching with.
I'm very confused at the moment about it all and i'm hearing alot of different opinions from friends and family on what i should do:eek3:
Anyone help me?
Also a concern made by others is that i should do the uni thing to help my social skills and confidence and meeting people my own age. (Which is probably the main thing that sways me back to regular uni)
Also I took a year out then went to uni left after a month and am now here in edinburgh and the general thought by most is i just cant stick at anything which makes me even more anxious:s-smilie:
Confused and lost :frown:
Reply 1
Evening,

For the social skills part, confidence and meeting people and the like, just because you're studying at the OU, doesn't mean you have lock yourself in a room :smile: You could always build your own social circle at home. It's also possible you could get a short term position and get some teaching assistance experience while studying which would no doubt look good on your CV.

Also, it might be worth calling the OU and asking them how much credit can be transferred. At least then you'd know where you stand with certainty if you made the decision to do so.

While you're there, ask to talk to an advisor about your situation and concerns. They will be happy to discuss options with you without trying to pitch you on to a course.

+44 (0)845 300 60 90

As for the actual teaching part, I know there are people around here working towards teaching and know all the ins and outs of it, so I'll leave that part to the experts :yep:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Theres a very good careers forum ongoin at the ou atm, but unfortunately, the website is down for repair today, so if you try this link at a later date, you should find some help there.

http://students.open.ac.uk/vle-status/

(Im thinking i will have to repost this link once the site is back up and running tho)
I don't think that's quite the right link... :s-smilie: Also it might be one that you need to be registered to see, once they've finished farting about with it.
Much better :yy:

Latest