The Student Room Group

Nottingham interviewees please

I've been looking through the offers/interviews thread trying to see what kind of applicant got interviews from Nottingham vet school, but there seem to be very few of them, and I can't quite seem to find a pattern of the type of applicants they go for. I mean, I know that Liverpool and Bristol have the tendency to go for those with a lot of work experience, and ok grades. Cambridge seem to go for the A* people only, but I don't know about the other unis.

So, if people who have had Nottingham interviews could post their age, status (college, gap year, graduate), work experience, GCSE and A level grades, that would be super duper. I know the questionnaire must have some influence on who they take, but still...

Glasgow people who have offers are also welcome to post about their achievements. :3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Heyy. I had an interview on 17th Feb. But got rejected after. Not sure if this is any help. But here goes...

W/e: See spoiler
GCSE: A*x7 & Ax5
AS: ABBC
A2: Predicted AABB

Hope this helps a bit. :smile: x
Reply 2
I can speak for my friend, who doesn't use TSR. My friend didn't have a lot of work experience, relative to other applicants. I think she had 2 years work in a cattery, 6 months at a small animal vet, 1 week different small animal vets, 1 week city farm and maybe a little bit of other farm work. Her GCSEs were fantastic, something like 6A*s, 9 As and a B. Her AS grades weren't so good, so she transferred to a private school (I wish I had the money to do this!). She had loads of extra curricula stuff, which is what I think swung it. She played hockey for the county, did lots of skiing, Duke of Edinburgh and World Challenge.

I'm sure she won't mind me posting this. She has a Bristol interview tomorrow, which is her only other interview, but she doesn't really care because she has her Notts offer and that's her favourite. Liverpool and RVC rejected her without interview.
Reply 3
I had a nottingham interview (but for the lincoln health sci cert pre lim year) but the inteview i believe to be the same as 5 yr programme as you will be onto the5 year.
I am 20yrs old
On a gap year
I got full marks and 3 Distinctions on my ND animal managent
And have done just under 800hrs of mixed work experience.

So I think they take a mixture of all types of people :smile: !
Reply 4
Heya, I'm a re-app, with quite a lot of work exp, look at my profile if you wanna see it, and 3 As, last year i got 3 interviews (camb, liv, bris) but no offers, this year applied to Notts and didnt get an interview, i dont think they like reapps, wish i hadnt applied there. I personally believe they base quite alot on peoples answers to the questionaire.
I got an interview off Glasgow though, which led to an unconditional offer :biggrin: I think they much prefer re-apps :biggrin:
W/e: See Profile.
GCSE: A*x5 & Ax4 Bx2
AS: AAAABB
A2: Predicted AAA

Got into lincoln cert.
Reply 6
Interviewed at Nottingham (although not sure on the outcome yet , waiting is fun...)
GCSEs: 6A* 3A's
AS:4A's
A2: Predictions 2A* 1A
Work experience wise I had 4 weeks at various vets around the country, equivalent of 1 week shadowing vets at a racecourse, 1 week of lambing, 1 year of an animal sanctuary and 1 week of equine and a few days at a dairy farm
Extra curricular wise, I was in the historical research group, creative writing magazine (had a piece published in a competition held by a uni) , competed in dressage competitions, working towards grade 7 piano and grade 5 singing.

Hope this helps a bit

Oh and I'm 17
Reply 7
Heya

Study: Year 13 doing A2 levels
GCSEs : 8A* 2A 1/2 B
AS: aaaab
A2: predicted A*AA

Work Experience:
2 weeks mixed vets
1 week cat n kennels
1 week resident on farm animal sanctuary
1 week polo groom
Rode and helped at the local stables for years
1 day lambing
1 week at west midlands safari park (planned for next month!)

Extra shizzle:
D of E (bronze, silver, gold)
Work in a building society as a cashier, part-time
Do alot of voluntry work with adults with learning difficulties

Yeah I got a interview at the start of Feb... waitin to hear now!
Reply 8
My friend had 10A*s 1A at GCSE, 5As at AS (6 modules were 100%), a LOT of work exp and is predicted 5A*s... she was rejected without an interview. She has a cambridge and a bristol offer so i don't think she minds too much :P
Hah...I'm seeing a pattern of very good GCSE grades and a lot of AS and A2 levels with good grades... :frown:

Looks like Nottingham are looking for the overachievers... Anyone know of anyone getting in as a re-applier but NOT in the lincoln course?
Reply 10
~*starlight*conquest*~
Hah...I'm seeing a pattern of very good GCSE grades and a lot of AS and A2 levels with good grades... :frown:

Looks like Nottingham are looking for the overachievers... Anyone know of anyone getting in as a re-applier but NOT in the lincoln course?

I dnt think overachievers is the right word?
I have just done the amount of GCSE's and A levels that pretty much everyone in my school is expected to do. I just go to a normal state school, none selective etc

As they ask for lowish grades AAB, I wouldnt say that they go for over achievers, I think alot of it goes on the questionarrie and showing a good work/life balance and range of interests
FireAndIce
I dnt think overachievers is the right word?
I have just done the amount of GCSE's and A levels that pretty much everyone in my school is expected to do. I just go to a normal state school, none selective etc

As they ask for lowish grades AAB, I wouldnt say that they go for over achievers, I think alot of it goes on the questionarrie and showing a good work/life balance and range of interests

Well most people don't get 8 A*'s at GCSE. I suppose a lot of vet applicants do, but not everyone... 5 AS levels is impressive, especially with the grades u got. And apart for the critical thinking, they're pretty hard too. The norm at my college is 4 AS levels, and most students have 2 academic subjects and two non-academic. And getting A*AA for A2 would also be super impressive.

And you've got 3 DoE awards, a sophisticated part time job and you do impressive voluntary work. I think you count as an overachiever, and that's not even mentioning your work experience.

Just because they ask for lowish grades doesn't mean they'll actually interview or give offers to people with lowish grades.
Reply 12
~*starlight*conquest*~
Well most people don't get 8 A*'s at GCSE. I suppose a lot of vet applicants do, but not everyone... 5 AS levels is impressive, especially with the grades u got. And apart for the critical thinking, they're pretty hard too. The norm at my college is 4 AS levels, and most students have 2 academic subjects and two non-academic. And getting A*AA for A2 would also be super impressive.

And you've got 3 DoE awards, a sophisticated part time job and you do impressive voluntary work. I think you count as an overachiever, and that's not even mentioning your work experience.

Just because they ask for lowish grades doesn't mean they'll actually interview or give offers to people with lowish grades.

Lol at my sophisticated part time job :p: , my original reply to you wasnt meant to sound b*tchy if it did. One of my AS levels was a EPQ though, so not sure if i should have put it down. All I had to do was write a essay and do a powerpoint?

I look at my app. and think I havent got enough work experience?! But that goes by comparing myself against all you lovely people on TSR!

I suppose alot of the accadermic stuff depends on the school/college/sixth form you attend and what there aim is. Mine like to get you loads and push you to do them early and then resit. :rolleyes: And put alot of revision courses on during holidays, after school, before school etc and you are expected to attend.....

Nottingham is soooo secretive I dnt think we will ever really know what they are looking for! :yes:
Reply 13
~*starlight*conquest*~

Yeah a girl in the year above me reapplied this year and has an offer for the 5 year course, but she had really interesting and different work experience as well.
Hah, don't worry fireandice, your reply didn't sound bitchy. To be honest it's probably hard not to look in awe at all the other vet school applicants. I guess people who lack in grades make up for it in work experience and visa versa.
Reply 15
Hello! I don't think there is a real pattern with Nottingham, their offer isn't particularly high compared to the others, and they don't seem to place so much emphasis on work experience. I think they just look for enthusiasm and people they think would learn well with the structure of their course. But anyway here you go..

I'm 18 (A2 year)
GCSEs - 8A*s 3As
AS - 5As (one was gen studies though!)
A2 - I'm on for A*AAA atm (maybe hopefully another A*)
Work Exp -
2 weeks small animal practice
1 week mixed practice
2 days equine practice
1 day whipsnade zoo vets
2 weekends lambing
10 years riding/stable work
Working weekends on a dairy farm since Easter last year - I don't get paid!

Other bits and bobs-
Part time jobs (one for a year, one for christmas)
D of E (bronze, silver, gold)
Young farmers (competitions, organisation, etc etc)
Flute
Vetsim last year
Nuffield Bursary research project on the giraffes at whipsnade last summer (gold crest award and finalist at the big bang fair last week)
I have a dog

Oh I also said I prefer working with large animals atm...
Reply 16
i'm 19 first time applied an on a gap year
I had an interview for nottingham the end of January an received an unconditional offer the end of February

Although I got 3 A's in my a levels I don't think I had anywhere near as much work experience as some people or do as many hobbies
4 weeks SA practice
1 week Leahurst
1 week dairy farm
3 weeks Rspca
1 week childrens farm
1 week stables
5 weeks shetland rescue
3 weeks lambing (although at the time I'd only done one week)

I think that although nottingham take all this into account a lot of it is based on the interview particularly your attitude and enthusiasm, I felt I didn't know half of the answers but just stayed positive an made an effort. I think if you get to interview an throw yourself into it then they like that
Reply 17
Oh I also noticed that everyone in my group was either a postgraduate or on a gap year so I'm not sure if they favour people with related degrees or who have already achieved their a levels
hmm..maybe they interview the same types of people all at the same time? What about your GCSE grades Chloe?
Reply 19
Tori687
I had a nottingham interview (but for the lincoln health sci cert pre lim year) but the inteview i believe to be the same as 5 yr programme as you will be onto the5 year.
I am 20yrs old
On a gap year
I got full marks and 3 Distinctions on my ND animal managent
And have done just under 800hrs of mixed work experience.

So I think they take a mixture of all types of people :smile: !

With mine i dont think my GCSE's had much of an impact with 13 C's and 2 B's. I think mine was more work exp and FEducation
But must mean they go for all different types as most people have A*'s and A's

Latest

Trending

Trending