The Student Room Group

MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer)

hi ppl,

i spoke to my uncle this morning and he is urging me to begin studying for an MCSE qualification. he's actually an accountant who is considering an I.T career. he sounded very convincing and said a job is guaranteed etc etc. but i'm not so sure about it.

i have completed my A-levels, and i am assuming that a degree etc is not needed to begin MCSE study.

i just would like to ask those who may be considering/considered MCSE or something similar for their views on it.

eg. job prospects, earnings potential, competition difficulty etc.

thanks for any help, although i'm pretty sure nobody will offer any.
Reply 1
I might consider doing that after university to improve my job prospects. I know some job adverstisements in newspaper recommend having a Microsoft certification, but not essential. I read about this qualification on the website, and the course needs a CompTIA qualification or some equivalent skills and knowledge.

I think these exams are hard though. :frown: I am considering doing an MCSA in the future instead of MCSE.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/default.asp
Reply 2
hmmm im still not sure about the worth of this qualification. or how useful it will prove in getting a proper IT career, and whether this field of work really does have a future, because i dont think it has tbh
Reply 3
My boyfriends MCSE qualified and it does take a lot of studying and the exams are quite hard. Although he saaid that there are so many IT contracters around and not many of them are certified, so it defintely puts you ahead.
Reply 4
MCSE is a thorough exam that those who are qualified in can command a higher wage easily.

MCSE is the equivalent of Cisco's course. My HND lecturer stated that it is so bloody boring to teach as a result of its constant theory and not enough practical. The Cisco course however he praised as being a lot better vocationally.

Both courses are normally filled in next to no time with IT teachers etc, so early appointments are recommended. :smile:
Reply 5
ok but is there a high demand for MCSE or Cisqo qualified personnel? bear in mind i have no IT work experience
Reply 6
you guys help me out how can i learn and do some of these quickly and still go university do these on the side?
Reply 7
Anyone know how much it costs?
Reply 8
£1090 at Bickenhall College, London
Reply 9
cool so you done course or sumfin..u got a job?
I'm sure you need a bit of IT/Computer knowledge before you can do the MCSE. It is quite advanced, compared to basic qualifications such as A+.
Mr brother does it and it looks soo boring... look into it before you sign up. The avg course cost what, £2000?

Latest

Trending

Trending