The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Yeah, my new instructor has taught me to use 4th for 30 and 5th for 40 because it's more fuel efficient.

I managed to stall 3 times trying to reverse out of a bay at the beginning of my last driving lesson- I don't really function before 11am...:s-smilie:
Reply 41
So how long has it taken all of you so far to learn to drive?

I had to change driving instructors a few weeks ago, and after having a terrible instructor (he kept taking the wheel from me whilst doing manoeuvres so I was just doing the clutch control...), I've found a better instructor. However, he's been looking at how my previous instructor has marked me, and she's marked me high for most of the manoeuvres which he says means I'm test standard - but he said I can't be cos I still hit the kerb etc whilst doing them...

Just getting a bit fed up of it now, obviously I'm the one hitting the kerb but I can't work out if they're just taking their time and trying to squeeze every penny out of me!! Been learning since August and I know that everyone is different but just getting tired of it now. I know how to do the manoeuvres...I just go too fast and steer too slowly when it should be the other way around!

Don't quite know what sort of response I'm looking for..I think just reassurance cos I'm feeling really rubbish about the whole thing at the moment!!
DebraN9

I had to change driving instructors a few weeks ago, and after having a terrible instructor (he kept taking the wheel from me whilst doing manoeuvres so I was just doing the clutch control...), I've found a better instructor. However, he's been looking at how my previous instructor has marked me, and she's marked me high for most of the manoeuvres which he says means I'm test standard - but he said I can't be cos I still hit the kerb etc whilst doing them...

Just getting a bit fed up of it now, obviously I'm the one hitting the kerb but I can't work out if they're just taking their time and trying to squeeze every penny out of me!! Been learning since August and I know that everyone is different but just getting tired of it now. I know how to do the manoeuvres...I just go too fast and steer too slowly when it should be the other way around!

Don't quite know what sort of response I'm looking for..I think just reassurance cos I'm feeling really rubbish about the whole thing at the moment!!

I've been learning for 8 months so far and was very surprised when my instructor said I could book my test soon as he still sometimes has to steer the wheel a little bit so that I'm not so close to the kerb or parked cars, and I think he still has to use the dual controls at least once per lesson... If he's still doing this when we get close to my test date I would probably cancel the test! But he has over 25 years of experience as an instructor so he can probably see signs that everything will fall into place soon.

I'm a bit fed up of learning too as a lot of people I know have learned faster than me!
Reply 43
BlondeNorfolkGirl
I've been learning for 8 months so far and was very surprised when my instructor said I could book my test soon as he still sometimes has to steer the wheel a little bit so that I'm not so close to the kerb or parked cars, and I think he still has to use the dual controls at least once per lesson... If he's still doing this when we get close to my test date I would probably cancel the test! But he has over 25 years of experience as an instructor so he can probably see signs that everything will fall into place soon.

I'm a bit fed up of learning too as a lot of people I know have learned faster than me!

i'm quite relieved you've said that in some ways...cos i've been looking up on here most of the morning and a lot of people are saying they didn't have many lessons at all! as i think i said before, i know people are different, but it's nice to know someone is about the similar pace as me :smile: my old instructor seemed to think it wouldn't be long until my test at all but this one thinks i'll need at least another 20 lessons which i think is a bit extreme! but will just see how it goes.

are you just learning through lessons or are you going out with a friend/family member too?
Reply 44
DebraN9
i'm quite relieved you've said that in some ways...cos i've been looking up on here most of the morning and a lot of people are saying they didn't have many lessons at all! as i think i said before, i know people are different, but it's nice to know someone is about the similar pace as me :smile: my old instructor seemed to think it wouldn't be long until my test at all but this one thinks i'll need at least another 20 lessons which i think is a bit extreme! but will just see how it goes.

are you just learning through lessons or are you going out with a friend/family member too?

What main problems do you have?
Have you had a mock test?

Mock tests are what really helped me.

I went from 9 serious and 17 minors on my first mock to 1 serious 9 minors literally 2 weeks later, just because I realised what I was doing wrong.
How many of you guys drive with your parents? Because I'm trying to convince my parents to insure me as a learn (in MY car, I should say) so I can get more than one hour a week practise (+theory). They say once my instructor says that I'm okay to, they will. How many hours of lessons did you have before you got insured on your own car?
Reply 46
Wednesday Bass
How many of you guys drive with your parents? Because I'm trying to convince my parents to insure me as a learn (in MY car, I should say) so I can get more than one hour a week practise (+theory). They say once my instructor says that I'm okay to, they will. How many hours of lessons did you have before you got insured on your own car?

I think I did after about 8 hours.
Reply 47
Rucklo
What main problems do you have?
Have you had a mock test?

Mock tests are what really helped me.

I went from 9 serious and 17 minors on my first mock to 1 serious 9 minors literally 2 weeks later, just because I realised what I was doing wrong.

The main problems are all the manouvres. I believe I am capable of doing them but I'm mainly unsure of myself when I'm sat in the car and need constant reassurance. But when I do them, I do end up hitting the kerb most times. Otherwise, my actual driving is fine, mirrors and observations are all fine. It's just cracking these manouvres which seems to be taking agesssss!!

Did you have to pay for your mock test? I got the impression when my old instructor mentioned it that she would just do it, pretending that she was the examiner etc - but then i found out I would have to pay..and after the amount of money I'm already spending on the lessons, I thought it was a bit cheeky when she could do her own mock test in one of our lessons! But I do see the advantages of them!
Reply 48
Wednesday Bass

I've only recently got insured on the car. Think it was in February sometime and I have been learning since August. Had about 30 or 35 lessons by that time (felt I was going too slow so needed extra help!). I reckon your instructor will be okay for you to go out with your parents straight away - I think a lot of them encourage you to, at least my instructors have.
Reply 49
DebraN9
The main problems are all the manouvres. I believe I am capable of doing them but I'm mainly unsure of myself when I'm sat in the car and need constant reassurance. But when I do them, I do end up hitting the kerb most times. Otherwise, my actual driving is fine, mirrors and observations are all fine. It's just cracking these manouvres which seems to be taking agesssss!!

Did you have to pay for your mock test? I got the impression when my old instructor mentioned it that she would just do it, pretending that she was the examiner etc - but then i found out I would have to pay..and after the amount of money I'm already spending on the lessons, I thought it was a bit cheeky when she could do her own mock test in one of our lessons! But I do see the advantages of them!

Well if its just your maneuvers, which do you hit the kerb on? Them all?

And for the ones you do, what is your routine when doing it? Because i'm guessing its probably something wrong with the way you do it..
DebraN9
I've only recently got insured on the car. Think it was in February sometime and I have been learning since August. Had about 30 or 35 lessons by that time (felt I was going too slow so needed extra help!). I reckon your instructor will be okay for you to go out with your parents straight away - I think a lot of them encourage you to, at least my instructors have.

My brothers instructor told him not to go out too much with my parents when he was learning because he'd pick up their bad habits (because we all have them!).
Reply 51
Wednesday Bass
My brothers instructor told him not to go out too much with my parents when he was learning because he'd pick up their bad habits (because we all have them!).

Meh thats rubbish, best to get as much experience as possible.
Reply 52
Rucklo
Well if its just your maneuvers, which do you hit the kerb on? Them all?

And for the ones you do, what is your routine when doing it? Because i'm guessing its probably something wrong with the way you do it..

well...it's hard to say cos i was doing my turn in the road fine..i've done it whilst out with my dad so i know i can do it...it's so hard to try and describe the routine! for the turn in the road i just know when i do the second bit, the bit where i'm reversing and steering to the left, i just need to find the right reference point to stop and start steering back to the right..

for the reverse park...i hit the kerb probably cos i don't steer to the right quick enough..again, i did that fine, without hitting the kerb whilst out with my dad..but i think it's cos the cars are so different.

it's mainly just knowing when to stop i think..i find it really hard to judge it!
Reply 53
Wednesday Bass

that's true a point - but it doesn't mean you shouldn't go out with your parents. i just go out for the experience, just to practice what i already know..most people don't signal at roundabouts but i do whilst out with my dad because i know i have to in order to pass the test etc - you don't necessarily have to pick up the habits, do what you've been taught to do and just use it as extra experience in the car, getting your manouvres right, your driving, observations etc.
My instructor got a brand new car this week, so tomorrow's my first lesson in a shiny new Clio. Looking forward to it.
Reply 55
DebraN9

I've been learning since august and have also had two instructors. I dread to think how much I've spent on it...
DebraN9

Just through lessons at the moment, but I think once I need almost no help from my instructor I will get some practice in my parents' new (ish) car. At the moment I don't fully trust myself in a car with no dual controls, lol!
Reply 57
I just literally had my second driving lesson. I think the instructor is a nice guy. On my first, I started full driving on a village road after about 10 mins and I have had complete control since which I was slightly surprised about but it's good.

I keep forgetting to steer properly when im changing gears at junctions and stuff, and he keeps telling me I go to fast up to junctions and roundabouts :/ I've got up to 40mph on my first lesson and 50 today.

I've been up some really steep hills and turns and I did my first U turn today. It's nothing like I thought it would be.
:eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:
Reply 58
Atrixa
I've been learning since august and have also had two instructors. I dread to think how much I've spent on it...

ha, i know, i also dread to think!! how much longer do you think you have to go until you take your test?
Reply 59
Ahh I need help..I went out driving with my dad today and either it was just a terrible lesson or I am just terribly bad!! I tried doing a reverse park and reverse round a corner and both didn't go very well...I'm not sure if it's just cos it's a different car or i just can't get the hang of it...

I know they are quite hard to explain but was wondering if anyone could talk me through how they have learnt to do these two manouvres? it's just my dad seems to think i've been taught wrong (i don't necessarily think so though..) but thought it would be interesting to see if anyone can describe what they do...

feel so depressed that i still can't do it!! :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending