The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juno
this is something you'd have to discuss with the instructor.

They can pick you up and drop you off at different places, but it does depend where those places are. Most instructors have a "patch" of ground they cover, and might not like going outside that area (or may even charge extra for it) so even if it's not a far away place it might still be an issue.

Oh right, that makes sense, Thank You!:smile:
Is anyone else in the same position as me, I can drive (as in basic driving skills etc.) but I just keep having, dare I say it, stupid blonde moments? :P
Original post by LouieSax
Is anyone else in the same position as me, I can drive (as in basic driving skills etc.) but I just keep having, dare I say it, stupid blonde moments? :P

I was always doing stupid things, even right up to my test! The more you practice, the more they will iron out :smile:
Original post by lauraaaaa
I was always doing stupid things, even right up to my test! The more you practice, the more they will iron out :smile:

Haha at least I hope so. I have an awful problem where I can tell me left and my rights completely fine... until I get into the car...ow deary me :P
Haha at least I hope so. I have an awful problem where I can tell me left and my rights completely fine... until I get into the car...ow deary me :P

Haha, tbh, as long as you indicate correctly and follow it through, it doesn't matter if you go the wrong way. Obviously they want you to go the correct way, but as long as you drive correctly, it's not a problem
Original post by lauraaaaa
Haha, tbh, as long as you indicate correctly and follow it through, it doesn't matter if you go the wrong way. Obviously they want you to go the correct way, but as long as you drive correctly, it's not a problem

Yeah its good thing too because otherwise I'm going to fail so bad on my test haha. Hopefully going to get my theory done in summer holidays after my exams, so at least I'm heading in the right direction..slowly :P
Yeah its good thing too because otherwise I'm going to fail so bad on my test haha. Hopefully going to get my theory done in summer holidays after my exams, so at least I'm heading in the right direction..slowly :P

Haha, good luck! It's the best feeling when you finally pass after all those lessons :smile:
Ok so I have had about 20 lessons so far of either an hour or an hour and a half long. I have almost finished the syllabus apart from duel carriageways and I have been told I have good physical skills like the clutch etc. I am getting better at the whole being aware of other drivers/giving way thing but my instructor says all I need to do is slow down. He thinks I approach junctions and roundabouts etc too fast, which I don't think I do. He expects me to go at like 5mph literally. He gets me to break about 10 yards before anything (after mirror and signal) then change gear etc so I can be slow enough to see all around me. Is this normal? I mean really slow btw. He also says it's no good just looking with my eyes, I actually have to turn my head. Now is this all for passing the test? Because if so I will do it as I obviously want to pass, but it doesn't seem like normal driving if you get me...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by flutterby-x303
Ok so I have had about 20 lessons so far of either an hour or an hour and a half long. I have almost finished the syllabus apart from duel carriageways and I have been told I have good physical skills like the clutch etc. I am getting better at the whole being aware of other drivers/giving way thing but my instructor says all I need to do is slow down. He thinks I approach junctions and roundabouts etc too fast, which I don't think I do. He expects me to go at like 5mph literally. He gets me to break about 10 yards before anything (after mirror and signal) then change gear etc so I can be slow enough to see all around me. Is this normal? I mean really slow btw. He also says it's no good just looking with my eyes, I actually have to turn my head. Now is this all for passing the test? Because if so I will do it as I obviously want to pass, but it doesn't seem like normal driving if you get me...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hm, I was told I was approaching junctions too quickly and I'm fine now but I'm never going at 5mph, usually probably about 15 so I can slow more and change to first gear and stop if I need to if that makes sense?

As for turning your head I'd say that's just so when you sit your test the examiner knows you definitely looked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finally passed my test. I don't know how but I did. I drove better on my second test than this one. I mean I even hit a curb when parking up on a hill, then proceeded to roll back a little when recovering from it. I thought hitting a curb was an auto fail but seems not. The examiner said there was no one around and it didn't affect anyone so only gave me a minor. That was after driving well through the city centre so maybe he felt a major there would have been harsh. I also stalled on the test, again in a non-busy area but that was more nerves than anything.
Original post by Sephiroth
Finally passed my test. I don't know how but I did. I drove better on my second test than this one. I mean I even hit a curb when parking up on a hill, then proceeded to roll back a little when recovering from it. I thought hitting a curb was an auto fail but seems not. The examiner said there was no one around and it didn't affect anyone so only gave me a minor. That was after driving well through the city centre so maybe he felt a major there would have been harsh. I also stalled on the test, again in a non-busy area but that was more nerves than anything.

I think you fail if you mount the kerb? You can 'skim' it a little and you'll get a minor but if you cause danger to someone it's a major.

Well done though!! :biggrin: I finally have my test date, with 7 lessons left to go now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vitamin D
I think you fail if you mount the kerb? You can 'skim' it a little and you'll get a minor but if you cause danger to someone it's a major.

Well done though!! :biggrin: I finally have my test date, with 7 lessons left to go now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Good luck with your test, when is it?

Yeah I didn't mount it that much. Was doing about 5mph as I was finishing off parking and I turned in too much so I guess it was more a skim than a mount.

Got lucky on my maneuver. He made me do a reverse around a corner on the exact same corner I did one on during the lesson before the test.

Nice one mate, feels good to get it off your back now :bigsmile:
Booked my test a few weeks ago for the end of this month, can't wait mainly because I have a car waiting to be insured as soon as I pass and it's just sitting ever so lonely on my drive right now.
Original post by AmbaLaBamba
Booked my test a few weeks ago for the end of this month, can't wait mainly because I have a car waiting to be insured as soon as I pass and it's just sitting ever so lonely on my drive right now.

good luck with your forthcoming test AmbaLaBamba:biggrin:
Has anyone done mock tests? I did mine today, didn't do too badly to say I felt like **** and it was raining really heavily; ended up with 1 major and 7 minors. The major was because I did a mini roundabout in too higher gear and ended up going onto the other side of the road when there were cars there :/, most of the minors were for getting too close to cars on the other side of the road when going past parked cars. Booked my test today aswell, about a 6 week wait; my instructor said that if I drive on my test like I did today (minus the major) I should be fine.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've had 8.5 hours so far. Covered everything bar parking and emergency stops. Doing ok I think, he said we were flying through it (dual carriage ways on my 3rd hour etc.) and making great progress after about 4 hours, but I think I'm doing worse now, just doing stupid stuff like messing up gears a bit, or the wrong lane. I can do everything, just with a little prompting. I just need to buckle down and concentrate more I guess. I've got another 7.5 hours paid for already, I'm probably been stupid but I was hoping to be ready by then. I'm insured on my mums car (£85) so am doing the odd drive home from work, but that's only like a 20 minute journey so doesn't make much difference. I know in theory what I have to do, I'm just not particularly coordinated, steering is fine, just balancing the peddles some times.

Third fail I was in the right lane for straight ahead at a roundabout due to the bus lane on the left (it ends just before the roundabout and I didn't move over). My positioning wasn't the fail, the exit road is a dual carriageway but instead of coming off on the right lane I cut across back on to the left.

My instructor told me to always come off onto the left lane when coming off a round about...?

Yeah I am, will just make a random stupid mistake.
Original post by theronkinator
My instructor told me to always come off onto the left lane when coming off a round about...?

That's right, but I started off in the right lane for going straight ahead. That is confusing to the driver behind you who is in the left lane going straight ahead. Cutting across there can cause an accident. As I was going on to a dual carriageway I could have recovered by coming off the roundabout in the right lane.
Finally passed my test yesterday after taking it for the 4th time. Took me around 75 lessons but incredibly relieved :biggrin:
Original post by arnoob
Finally passed my test yesterday after taking it for the 4th time. Took me around 75 lessons but incredibly relieved :biggrin:

congrats arnoob,and well done on passing:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending