Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Learner Driver Progression Thread - MK II

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Eeep I have my test on Friday

It was all going well until yesterday and today when I kept making stupid little mistakes-now I'm really worried
    Been learning since September, but then had time off when I started uni, had my test booked for Jan but then it snowed and got cancelled :mad: and it's taken this long to get a rebooking!

I am utterly useless at parallel park. Just can't do it-I'm certain I'll screw it up when I have absolutely no guidance...ohh dear :o:
    It would be nice to pass first time, but then again I'm way too nervous to even think about driving on my own!!!
    Scary times!!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenmgbowden)

It was all going well until yesterday and today when I kept making stupid little mistakes-now I'm really worried
    Been learning since September, but then had time off when I started uni, had my test booked for Jan but then it snowed and got cancelled :mad: and it's taken this long to get a rebooking!

I am utterly useless at parallel park. Just can't do it-I'm certain I'll screw it up when I have absolutely no guidance...ohh dear :o:
    It would be nice to pass first time, but then again I'm way too nervous to even think about driving on my own!!!
    Scary times!!!
    I have mine on friday too, what times yours?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patriceee)
    I have mine on friday too, what times yours?

9.15 am ....not my favourite time-going to be tired ! Means my warm up will be in rush hour, might be a bit stressful!

When is yours? Is it your first attempt?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    9.15 am ....not my favourite time-going to be tired ! Means my warm up will be in rush hour, might be a bit stressful!

When is yours? Is it your first attempt?
    mine is 9.50, i live near really good practice roads where everyone comes to learn so no sweat when it comes to the practice, i'd rather have it in the morning to be honest haha i'm worried sick already and yeah its my first attempt :eek3:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Scary times!!!
    Don't worry about Paraelle park. I mean I couldn't and can't now after passing 2 months later do Paraelle park. I can't even do reverse around the corners, don't stress too much about it :hugs:
    Good luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Me too! I failed my first one with 1 major and 4 minors, i failed in the first 5 minutes

Good luck on friday, i'm sure you'll do a lot better than my first test lol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    lucky about the practice roads, I have to drive a way to get to them near me, but I'm Hoping it'll get me into the swing of it :o:
    How many hours have you had? Good luck!

(Original post by TheOneCurlyFry)
    ...l
    Ooh, what time is yours? Sounds like you just made one real mistake last time, hopefully you'll breeze through this time!!

(Original post by Ducklighter)
    Hehe yeah when I said in desperation that I couldn't do parallel park to my instructor he said 'don't worry, neither can 30million other drivers!' lol :p:
    Did it come up in your test?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    lucky about the practice roads, I have to drive a way to get to them near me, but I'm Hoping it'll get me into the swing of it :o:

Ooh, what time is yours? Sounds like you just made one real mistake last time, hopefully you'll breeze through this time!!

Hehe yeah when I said in desperation that I couldn't do parallel park to my instructor he said 'don't worry, neither can 30million other drivers!' lol :p:
    Did it come up in your test?
    Nope. I had a three point turn, and did it in 5 turns, becuase the road was stupidly narrow and the examiner helped and allowed me. Shh.
    I also hadd reverse around the corner. It went swimmingly well.. Examiner didn't help me for that though I promise.

I was gutted that I didn't get bay park. I'm amazzing at that indeed. :yep:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I had a three point turn, and did it in 5 turns, becuase the road was stupidly narrow and the examiner helped and allowed me. Shh.
    I also hadd reverse around the corner. It went swimmingly well.. Examiner didn't help me for that though I promise.

I was gutted that I didn't get bay park. I'm amazzing at that indeed. :yep:

heheh..I seriously hope I get an examiner that kind!!!
    Ideally I want bay park and turn in the road, although for some reason recently my bay park has been a bit tight But I know when I'm finished and everything's fine with bay park! The I suppose reverse round the corner, and I will cry with parallel park, just because I seem to have no idea of whether the result is ok or not. Ohhh well. If all else fails, I'll wait til October when they change it so you only do one manouevre....
    ....and still end up with parallel park :p:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    heheh..I seriously hope I get an examiner that kind!!!
    Ideally I want bay park and turn in the road, although for some reason recently my bay park has been a bit tight But I know when I'm finished and everything's fine with bay park! The I suppose reverse round the corner, and I will cry with parallel park, just because I seem to have no idea of whether the result is ok or not. Ohhh well. If all else fails, I'll wait til October when they change it so you only do one manouevre....
    ....and still end up with parallel park :p:
    Nahh think positive. Anyways what's the worse can happen if you do get Parallel park, you might just misjudege the kerb maybe and accidently touch it? Don't worry. Don't stress too much about the exam when your doing it.

I was quite lucky in the sense I thought I failed with 2 minutes because i accidently touch a kerb, but she gave me a minor for it, and I just drove like a normal day, albeit not concentrating and thinking when I can do next exam / lesson. But I would advise you to concentrate.

There's also Emergency stop which counts as a manouevre I think. I'm pertty sure it does.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did parallel parking today. :sexface:

I thought it was the easiest manoeuvre out of them all.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah 5 out of the 8 test routes use those roads! and it means that i don't have to travel far on the morn of the test
    i've had about 30 hours and only like 3/4 hours private practice, basically giving myself "lifts" where i need to go and my mum being in the car,
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    my parents refuse to let me use their car so i will have no hours of private practise.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    yeah 5 out of the 8 test routes use those roads! and it means that i don't have to travel far on the morn of the test
    i've had about 30 hours and only like 3/4 hours private practice, basically giving myself "lifts" where i need to go and my mum being in the car,

Ha bet you're pleased about that :p:
    I've had no private practice at all so I'm hoping I get through all right
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Done a few hill starts today.
    Didn't do too bad.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, what time is yours? Sounds like you just made one real mistake last time, hopefully you'll breeze through this time!
    9:37, not too happy about it being so early but HOPEFULLY i wont make any foolish errors this time
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    my parents refuse to let me use their car so i will have no hours of private practise.
    :hugs: It'll be okay. I didn't have any private practice, instead I only relied on my instructor but I had about 50 hours and I passed first time. No need to worry.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ha bet you're pleased about that :p:
    I've had no private practice at all so I'm hoping I get through all right
    You will get through it :p:. I had 2 different instructors, who had completely different cars (1 petrol, 1 diesel) in different cities and passed (albeit 3rd time :o:) in 7 months, with on average 2 hours every week. I basically had to relearn to drive when I got back down to london ... my reference points were very different (focus is much bigger than a micra) and petrol requires a different technique to diesel.

Everyone can do it; it's just expensive, whether you have your own car or not. Just sometimes people's parents pay so they don't realise the expense :p:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: It'll be okay. I didn't have any private practice, instead I only relied on my instructor but I had about 50 hours and I passed first time. No need to worry.
    haha well i've only had 18 hours driving practice but ideally i'd like some hours outside of driving lessons (as they don't cost me a fortune!)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    haha well i've only had 18 hours driving practice but ideally i'd like some hours outside of driving lessons (as they don't cost me a fortune!)
    Yeah I know, I totally get where your coming from and you can do it whenever you like.

My parents drove a 2L automatic hugee family saloon car, and wouldn't let me drive it I just had to stick with my instructors car. mehh oh well I passed eventually.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 17, 2014
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.