The Student Room Group
Have you not covered the binomial expansion yet?

If not, split it into (a+b)^2.(a+b)^2, evaluating each and then multiplying together.
Reply 3
marcusmerehay
Have you not covered the binomial expansion yet?

If not, split it into (a+b)^2.(a+b)^2, evaluating each and then multiplying together.

Ah, thanks, I am doing binomial expansion at the moment, this being the first question of the section, (a + b)^4 looks at first glance deceptively simple so I was thinking that I should have been able to answer this already.
Reply 4
museobsessed

I laughed at first but then I noticed you have a picture of the 'new' doctor in your signature so I am taking a instant disliking to you :p:

Just kidding :tongue: although I do hate him for some reason :frown:
Shakaa
I laughed at first but then I noticed you have a picture of the 'new' doctor in your signature so I am taking a instant disliking to you :p:

Just kidding :tongue: although I do hate him for some reason :frown:

trust me, no one can have more love for the tenth doctor than me :love:
[mod edit: no full solutions]
Reply 7
Shakaa
Ah, thanks, I am doing binomial expansion at the moment, this being the first question of the section, (a + b)^4 looks at first glance deceptively simple so I was thinking that I should have been able to answer this already.

You should be able to do it already as it's just a simple but boring matter of expanding out brackets:

(a+b)^3 = (a+b)(a+b)^2 = (a+b)(a^2 + 2ab + b^2) = a^3 + ba^2 + ..... coma

Alternatively, you can view it as a simple example in using the binomial expansion where you can pretty much write down the answer as long as you know how to get the 5th row of pascal's triangle: 1 4 6 4 1

Latest