The Student Room Group

New L101 Economics (International Programme) 4 years at UCL

Hi all,

As I was browsing through the latest 2011 prospectus on UCL's webpage, I noticed this new course.

You can find it here:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prosp-students/prospectus/shs/economics/

Apparently it is the same as the L100 but with an additional year abroad at approved US universities in year 3.

Requirement for this course remains at A*AA to include grade A* in Mathematics for A levels or IB 39 points with a score of 19 points in three higher level subjects to include grade 7 in Mathematics.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It sounds like an amazing opportunity... the big question, however, is which universities will you spend your third year at?
Reply 2
Does sound pretty amazing. Don't think many Economics courses offer a year in the US...
Reply 3
You'll probably be allowed to transfer onto it. Might even be a first come first serve; well worth asking the faculty. LSE I know doesn't offer any study abroad programmes.
Reply 4
Cool
I wonder which Uni the transfer will be with, nonetheless its a great opportunity.
Reply 6
Yea, could be great indeed.

But, do you get a masters (apparently not_? So, what the hell are you doing 4 years of study for? Do they want it to be like the US where the first year you piss about and take all sorts of classes?
Reply 7
Sounds pretty cool, if you can afford it.
Reply 8
Wonder what American university you will study with?

A great opportunity nonetheless.
Reply 9
danny111

So, what the hell are you doing 4 years of study for? Do they want it to be like the US where the first year you piss about and take all sorts of classes?

The main idea of international study is to "broden the mind" i.e. get a different way of learning /different people with different ideas to teach you instead.

Plus it would be a laugh
Reply 10
tknight7
The main idea of international study is to "broden the mind" i.e. get a different way of learning /different people with different ideas to teach you instead.

Plus it would be a laugh

Yea! But you could still do it in 3 years.

e.g. MIT and Cambridge have an exchange programme and they have 3 years only.

(its for not just econ but here: http://web.mit.edu/cmi/ue/cme-cam/cam-how-to-apply.html)

I get your point, but I still wonder what they do in this extra year. Do they just do more modules? Like at my uni you can only really get much choice in year 3, so is it like they do 6-8 3rd year modules (we do 4 modules a year)? In which case, again they might as well do a masters, since 3rd year and master should be close anyway.
Reply 11
danny111
Yea! But you could still do it in 3 years.

e.g. MIT and Cambridge have an exchange programme and they have 3 years only.

(its for not just econ but here: http://web.mit.edu/cmi/ue/cme-cam/cam-how-to-apply.html)

I get your point, but I still wonder what they do in this extra year. Do they just do more modules? Like at my uni you can only really get much choice in year 3, so is it like they do 6-8 3rd year modules (we do 4 modules a year)? In which case, again they might as well do a masters, since 3rd year and master should be close anyway.

I don't know what you would do in the year abroad - i would have thought its more of the same stuff tbh, just taught different? :confused:

But you if you end up at somewhere like MIT you get to experience a great university for what - 1/10 of the price as the US students? Plus it would be a good experince, and it would look mighty good on ya CV apparently, but i can't really see how - surely an eco degree from UCL would be good enough?

Not everyone wants to do a masters though - just do the 3/4 years and get on with a career

Sheffield does/did an option where you go to Aus, Singapore or USA in your second year, and the marks you got there counted as your second year of the degree i.e. 2 years in Sheff, one abroad :smile:
The list includes Columbia, Chicago and I think UPenn.
Reply 13
BetterThanHeaven
The list includes Columbia, Chicago and I think UPenn.

where did you get this information from?
eugeneho
where did you get this information from?

I'm a 3rd year Econ. What can I say, some stuff gets leaked.

It's hardly delicate information, but either way the opportunities are impressive. Suffice to say, I'm sure many who are currently here would liked to have had the opportunity to go abroad for the year.
Reply 15
BetterThanHeaven
I'm a 3rd year Econ. What can I say, some stuff gets leaked.

It's hardly delicate information, but either way the opportunities are impressive. Suffice to say, I'm sure many who are currently here would liked to have had the opportunity to go abroad for the year.

**** yea, Chicago!
Reply 16
haha those universities would certainly lure people over from LSE to UCL!
eugeneho
Hi all,

As I was browsing through the latest 2011 prospectus on UCL's webpage, I noticed this new course.

You can find it here:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prosp-students/prospectus/shs/economics/

Apparently it is the same as the L100 but with an additional year abroad at approved US universities in year 3.

Requirement for this course remains at A*AA to include grade A* in Mathematics for A levels or IB 39 points with a score of 19 points in three higher level subjects to include grade 7 in Mathematics.

Really great idea!

LSE should do the same, LSE could get any university on Earth!
danny111
**** yea, Chicago!

Agree. WOW at Chicago, would love to go there
Reply 19
Dragging this thread up...found it through a google search of L101.

I went to the UCL open day a week back and in the Economics talk we were told the destinations for this programme include Columbia University (New York City), Uni of Chicago, Toronto, and British Columbia. The list isn't finalised yet.

I'm considering applying for this instead of the standard L100, however due to the small number of places available (20-30), do you guys think it would be quite a bit harder to get in?

Quick Reply

Latest