The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No need to have done law at A-level whatsoever. Its not a requirement. I did Economics, Government & Politics, French and Business Studies at A-Level.
Reply 2
The universities prefer you not to have it, so you have absolutely nothing to worry about!
Most unis don't like students having law A-level anyway so not taking it may be more of an advantage to you.
Reply 4
sparklyglitter
Most unis don't like students having law A-level anyway so not taking it may be more of an advantage to you.

Why is this?
mR_CaRL
Why is this?

Not respected in the slightest. I was speaking to a student at Cambridge recently who told me that Law Professors hate students coming up to them and disagreeing with what they say on the basis that their A-level law teacher told them otherwise.
Reply 6
JohnStuartMill
Not respected in the slightest.

Forgive me, but in my opinion you're wrong.

For people like myself who recognise Law A level is merely a basic foundation to build upon, it is a distinct advantage.

I for one will not be confronting anyone, and recognise that some of what I have learned at A level may be challenged by my Undergraduate course... And I'm looking forward to that aspect of the course.

Law A level has provided me with a basic knowledge, and I enjoyed the course thoroughly. It has introduced me to addressing "problem" scenarios, and also more theoretical issues.

I wouldn't have gone without it for all the world, so please be careful before slating other people's hard work.
Dreama
Forgive me, but in my opinion you're wrong.

For people like myself who recognise Law A level is merely a basic foundation to build upon, it is a distinct advantage.

I for one will not be confronting anyone, and recognise that some of what I have learned at A level may be challenged by my Undergraduate course... And I'm looking forward to that aspect of the course.

Law A level has provided me with a basic knowledge, and I enjoyed the course thoroughly. It has introduced me to addressing "problem" scenarios, and also more theoretical issues.

I wouldn't have gone without it for all the world, so please be careful before slating other people's hard work.

In your opinion I am wrong? I am simply stating what admissions tutors say. They do not like Law A-level for people studying Law. Law firms don't even like people who have studied Law A-level and I was told this by someone who works in recruiting at a law firm. The basic knowledge that Law A-level provides is supposedly covered in basically the first week or two at top universities, it does not really give one an advantage in the course. It may be enjoyable, but that is not what was being asked, it was being asked why Universities prefer people not to have Law A-level and the answer is that they do not respect it as a qualification, they consider it a "Mickey Mouse" subject so to speak.

I never slated anybody's hard work, I simply stated that Law A-level is not respected by universities; which is true.
Reply 8
Definitely some don't mind iit but alot of tutors really do have a problem with it that I've spoken to. Even though they might not necessarily challenge the lecturers I've heard it makes students think they know more than they do which isn't necessarily a good thing.

Anyway I'm not saying its good or crap but you certainly won't be at a disadvantage having not taken it.
Reply 9
oh my, not the A-level law debate again ...
Reply 10
yawn
Reply 11
JohnStuartMill ~

I am entitled to an opinion just as much as you are... :smile:

You based your opinion on your experiences, and I based my opinion on mine.

Indeed, Law A level has not hindered my application process (It has perhaps done quite the opposite..) and perhaps that's all I should remain concerned with.

The very best of luck to you with your own application... :smile:

Dreama x
JohnStuartMill
In your opinion I am wrong? I am simply stating what admissions tutors say. They do not like Law A-level for people studying Law. Law firms don't even like people who have studied Law A-level and I was told this by someone who works in recruiting at a law firm. The basic knowledge that Law A-level provides is supposedly covered in basically the first week or two at top universities, it does not really give one an advantage in the course. It may be enjoyable, but that is not what was being asked, it was being asked why Universities prefer people not to have Law A-level and the answer is that they do not respect it as a qualification, they consider it a "Mickey Mouse" subject so to speak.

I never slated anybody's hard work, I simply stated that Law A-level is not respected by universities; which is true.

My A2 Criminal Law covers more or less the skeleton of what is learned in the criminal law module at UCL, which if I'm not mistaken is one of the top UK law schools. Obviously there's far less analytical thinking (although there is some analysis) but as I said, it covers all the main areas - homicide, general defences etc. That's quite a bit more than the first 2 weeks.

Furhermore the solicitors I worked with over the past year definitely saw law A-level as an advantage for a variety of reasons, not least that it shows the candidate held an interest in law from an early point and has been studying it for longer.

As for law admissions tutors... you'd expect the top academics in the country to recognise that people who are truly interested in law would want to study it at A-level. I definitely don't think it put me at any disadvantage (though music technology certainly did at certain schools i.e. manchester *evil glare*) and nearly all the other law candidates I talked to at Oxford were studying law A-level too.
Reply 13
JohnStuartMill
The basic knowledge that Law A-level provides is supposedly covered in basically the first week or two at top universities

It's been ages since I've read a comment so outrageously false as this. It is a absolutely IMPOSSIBLE that one could cover Law A Level in the first fortnight of a degree. It is utterly ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

I, like Dreama and Onearmedbandit, have actually DONE the A level. You have not. Your above comment insults my intelligence, and I would expect a potential law student to construct far better arguments. I really feel like picking apart every one of your posts, but I just can't be bothered to bang my head against this 'Law A Level is Bad' brick wall anymore.
Reply 14
Lauren18
It's been ages since I've read a comment so outrageously false as this. It is a absolutely IMPOSSIBLE that one could cover Law A Level in the first fortnight of a degree. It is utterly ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

I, like Dreama and Onearmedbandit, have actually DONE the A level. You have not. Your above comment insults my intelligence, and I would expect a potential law student to construct far better arguments. I really feel like picking apart every one of your posts, but I just can't be bothered to bang my head against this 'Law A Level is Bad' brick wall anymore.

U know that sht!
Reply 15
If doing a Law A-level is not such a great thing, as some people are suggesting (due to tutors prefering less knowledge of the subject before starting a degree course) then would i be right in thinking that when applyig to univesity that i should not ,for example, say that i have read a certain books to help further my interest of law?because htis would put me at a disadvantage, as i would have more knowledge of the subject??
If that makes any sense at all???!!!
Reply 16
Know saying you've read books shows an interest in the subject by all means mention it they expect you to exhibit an interest.

Also totally agreeing with the others here there is no way you would cover A Level law in 2 weeks at uni. Youve done A Level law and then a law degree have you?
While A-Level Law is unlikely to hurt you in any way and is definitely more than 2 weeks of content, as far as I've seen it does seem to be regarded as a relatively easy course (ala media studies) compared to something more academically challenging like (for eg.) english.

I haven't done it so can't say this is definitely true - it's just my perception of how people regard it.
My friend in the first year did really well due to her law A-level. She learnt about problem questions and techique at A level. Thus, issue rule application conclusion was already engrained and presenting legal arguments.

I don't see how it hurts, but she fizzled out in the second year after having a little head start with criminal law etc etc.

I think, in genera,l English based subjects perfer u well for law.
I haven't done A-level Law nor have I embarked on my degree for Law so Lord knows I can't judge. However, from reading some law books and the subsequent headaches I received, I can only conclude that any A-level that is based on this subject must be challenging and I think academically it is not given enough justice. Do you need it for degree, its doubtful but I really can't see how having a grasp of situations however loose will hinder. So what if people challenge what the professor is saying? Doing so can only help strengthening your understanding. The claim that professors don't like being questioned on areas of law is bizzare to say the least, its part of their job to explain back up what they are saying to the point that it is perfectly clear to the student. If they don't do this then they are not doing there job and if they don't like it they can just go and find another job...

Agh I apologise for the rant. In summary, it can't hurt all that much to do it and if you don't you will be in the same boat so don't worry too much about it :smile: Richard

Latest