The Student Room Group

Why I Hate This Country.....at Times

So i'm currently 26, i study at a local college and had to pay £500 for my course. I'm around a month away from finishing my computer course with two distinctions and various other qualifications including ECDL and key skills, so i think you would agree that i have worked my back side off to get myself to uni yes?

Well i will be getting a total amount of UCAS points that will surpass the amount needed for my course, and all of the UCAS points are very relevant to the course. So at my age and with my qualifications you can see why i would be confident!

Well around 2 weeks ago, on this forum, i was asking why i hadn't been accepted or rejected from any of my universities. So it turns out after i had filled in my UCAS application, had it checked by the relevant people at my college and PAID FOR IT!!!!, my head of teaching "forgot" to put a reference on my application. Whats worse is the fact that the college knew about this and didn't bother to tell me until 3 months later!!!!!

So now even though i have more than enough relevant UCAS points, the kinf of age that most universities like, and basically worked my ass off to get to where i am now, i probably won't be getting on the course i want because of something completely out of my control.

I have contacted the university and they say that i sould get the college to email them and explain the situation and it may help my "late application" (i applied late 2009). Obviously the college are more than happy to help me (wow thanks, since you put me in the crap in the first place!!!) but i know i am not getting on that course now......this is why i hate this country, people are lazy, stupid and ignorant (which im sure you will agree has taken place on this occasion) i can't wait to get the right kind of job to leave GB!!!!

so any way........ what can i do? do i take legal action?
How is any of this the fault of 'Britain'? Do you honestly think administrative errors don't occur elsewhere?

I feel for you, but you can just ask the college to apply through UCAS for special consideration. It's senseless blowing up about it. Remain calm and all will be well.
:lolwut:
Reply 3
haha yea fair enough, to be fair i found this out about half an hour ago and wrote in a fit of rage.

Although i don't agree that its simply an adminisration error. If they knew about the fact that it had not been finialised and yet didn't tell me, well thats not an error thats lazy and stupid
Alright, let's assume the worst and say it was 'lazy and stupid' (personally I don't see how: did it happen to anyone else? It's clearly just a mistake) - you're still at a loss.

The college can apply to UCAS for special consideration on your behalf. Ask them to do so. The letter they send (should they choose to, and if what you say is true, then they will) is a vouchsafe (ie. no evidence required) and your problem will be swiftly dealt with. Money is on you being at University this September, and I never gamble.
iamdannib
haha yea fair enough, to be fair i found this out about half an hour ago and wrote in a fit of rage.

Although i don't agree that its simply an adminisration error. If they knew about the fact that it had not been finialised and yet didn't tell me, well thats not an error thats lazy and stupid

If you think it's bad here, you don't even want to explore the idea of living anywhere else, particularly anywhere third world.
Reply 6
If you think it's bad here, you don't even want to explore the idea of living anywhere else, particularly anywhere third world.

Hahas yea i wasn't exactly thinking of moving to Kenya because of my UCAS application. I was thinking America or Australia, possibly Japan.
Reply 7
lol you think Britain is bad? Sure it's not the best and is a **** country compared to how it used to be, but try spending a day in the third world...
Reply 8
You might be able to get something through clearing?

Just out of interest what type of course did you do / what did it cover.... I'm kind of interested in doing something computer // IT based myself.

If this were America you could probably take legal action if you failed to get in due to this cock up.
Reply 9
Just out of interest what type of course did you do / what did it cover.... I'm kind of interested in doing something computer // IT based myself.

I want to goto coventry university and study hardware and software engineering. What you looking at doing?
Reply 10
Bugger. I thought this was going to be a rant about immigration, political correctness and/or how some coloured person took yer jerb. :dry:

Oh well. Anyway, listen to sevendaughters. :yy:
Sue for negligence?
Reply 12
I agree with Cactus Man. I'm also in Southern California and in England in spirit (hoping to start my PhD in UK next year).

The system here is in no way better than anyplace else. Administrative errors happen all the time, especially here in state universities where administration can often consist of complacent or disgruntled workers who don't give a damn. On the other hand, even the 'normal' admin make mistakes/lose paperwork/forget to file it. It's happened to me a few times.
I find that the best way to deal with these things is to try to stay calm, be professional, and ask for exactly what you want. Tell them what you want the outcome to be and remind them how hard you've worked. If you want them to write a letter on your behalf, say so but don't be surly or demanding because they have the power to say no. If they say they are not authorised to write the letter, ask them to refer you to the person who can.
You have to work a little harder one more time to get what you want. Don't give up on it.
Cactus_Man
By all means, move over here [to the US]. I can assure you that our education system is far above and beyond anything the UK has to offer. The combined cost of tuition + living expenses can surpass $50,000 per year for the private schools (and that's for four years, not three) and even the bottom-of-the-barrel public schools still cost more than Oxford or Cambridge, but hey, you get what you pay for, right? I mean... granted, in California we've literally got students sitting on the floor because our budgets have been reduced to nil and there aren't enough spaces for the students who are lucky enough to get enrolled, but aside from that it's a great deal! Right?

Sarcasm aside, I'd never heard of a sandwich degree in my entire life until I began researching UK schools to escape from this ******** that is California. In the US, the way it usually works (unless you go to a top-calibre institution) is you get your 4-year degree, then desperately search for a job on your own. The world-renowned UC system (a total charade btw) starts charging students for alumni services, such as help finding a job, the day they graduate!

Practically all children who move to the US from Europe (or anywhere on Earth that takes education seriously) skip several grades upon arrival because our system is such a joke. I'll never forget being in the 9th grade (age 14) at a school where most of my biology classmates could not locate the US on a world map! People here are so stupid! :no:

And I haven't even gotten into the finer details! But I won't. I'm done... that's MY "fit of rage." :smile:

Lol! You should go into the finer details. I'm intrigued :biggrin:
Reply 14
OK, you are kind of disillusioned here. Every place is going to have it various good and bad points, I wouldn't say that countries are comparable like one is better one is worse, they are just different. Sure, there are lots of crap things about Britain, but if you move to Australia, there's bound to be something that annoys you there, that's life, it's inevitable, nothing's perfect. I'm from NZ obviously and it is a really nice place to live. But I think you should adopt an attitude where you focus on the positives of each situation you're in and make the most of it. UK universities really are better than the ones in most countries, you can get a really good education here. So you should be grateful that you're getting that, and don't leave Britain with hatred thinking it was absolute crap. Because if you think moving somewhere else is going to be absolutely amazingly better, you're wrong.
HelloImNeil

Exactly. I have a long list here in India. Some people are just so useless. Don't expect anything to be done in time. When they tell you it's just 5 minutes or tomorrow, it usually turns out to be 5 days or next month respectively. (No offense).

Don't complain, I'd rather be in GB :biggrin:
Reply 16
Mistakes happen everywhere, they aren't exclusive to Britain.
Reply 17
Cactus_Man
By all means, move over here [to the US]. I can assure you that our education system is far above and beyond anything the UK has to offer. The combined cost of tuition + living expenses can surpass $50,000 per year for the private schools (and that's for four years, not three) and even the bottom-of-the-barrel public schools still cost more than Oxford or Cambridge, but hey, you get what you pay for, right? I mean... granted, in California we've literally got students sitting on the floor because our budgets have been reduced to nil and there aren't enough spaces for the students who are lucky enough to get enrolled, but aside from that it's a great deal! Right?

Sarcasm aside, I'd never heard of a sandwich degree in my entire life until I began researching UK schools to escape from this ******** that is California. In the US, the way it usually works (unless you go to a top-calibre institution) is you get your 4-year degree, then desperately search for a job on your own. The world-renowned UC system (a total charade btw) starts charging students for alumni services, such as help finding a job, the day they graduate!

Practically all children who move to the US from Europe (or anywhere on Earth that takes education seriously) skip several grades upon arrival because our system is such a joke. I'll never forget being in the 9th grade (age 14) at a school where most of my biology classmates could not locate the US on a world map! People here are so stupid! :no:

And I haven't even gotten into the finer details! But I won't. I'm done... that's MY "fit of rage." :smile:

I dont think ive every laughed so much and yet also been enlightend by a forum post. Cheers dude that has actually cheered me up. And to anyone who has written on this forum please ignore my original post, yesterday i was really really angry (and im sure you can at least understand why) but its not the u.ks fault, like everyone has said it was a simple error in admin. To be fair to them they have tried to rectify it, and if i actually get onto the course ill forget about all of it, but hey dats life
Reply 18
this is nothing to do with 'the country', your college is incompetant.

i think you should go in there and blaze the place up. split some wigs.

Latest

Trending

Trending