The Student Room Group

The football rivalries that never were.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
LukeatForest
I don't know that there are many you can think of that never were. I can think of ones that shouldn't have been - the rivalry between Crystal Palace and Brighton is the one that mystifies most football fans. I can't wait for it to be renewed next year now Palace have been doomed by Paul Hart.

But rivalries than never were?

I mean there is no grounds for rivalry, there are no motives, the criteria for rivalry are not satisfied...there is essentially no rivalry, but the fans still hate each other :p:
Reply 21
Panthalic
I quite like Liverpool. :erm:

Arsenal and Liverpool isn't even remotely close to a rivalry so the thread fails since the principle example isn't an example at all. Leeds/Chelsea could be one, but their rivalry is based on years of fighting it out for the Biggest Bunch Of ***** In The Country award so even that kinda makes sense.

In other news, Mr Meskell should try holding Alt and pressing 0163 while typing.

It wasn't a "principle example". If you go re-read the OP it says "What about..." and then asks what you guys think. It was more of a question on the topic of rivalries than an example of one - it certainly wasn't the latter.

edit: or he could hold down shift and press 3? :P:
Reply 22
LukeatForest
I don't know that there are many you can think of that never were. I can think of ones that shouldn't have been - the rivalry between Crystal Palace and Brighton is the one that mystifies most football fans. I can't wait for it to be renewed next year now Palace have been doomed by Paul Hart.

Apparently that was due to the trains from brighton going through crystal palace station or something, so there was a fair bit of aggro going on between the two firms.
Dude, seriously, much of the stuff in the Arse soc is a joke. Again, a joke. The fans do not generally hate each other at all.

If anything it's sibling WUM.

God, people take the Arse soc far too ******* seriously sometimes.
Reply 24
I don't understand why I should be pressing either of those things :confused:
Reply 25
girl_in_keele
I live in Luton, they hate Watford, and vice versa... I don't understand this as we're not even in the same county... And its extreme HATE.

Apparently they both hate Millwall too, but hating eachother comes first then Millwall, and that's in London (??).

But the hatred is bad, to the point that I don't tell people I work with that my fella is from Watford, I tell them he's from Windsor where he works lmao! I wish I was joking but I'm not...

Crazy as Watford and Luton aren't even in the same league haha!

Watford don't particularly hate Millwall; Luton may, but possibly only because both clubs fanbases are primarly composed of mindless thugs. Watford and Luton are merely 20 miles apart, both are outside of London, Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire are 'neighbouring' counties. Often the rivalries where two sets of fans would largely be separate in terms of occupation of 'space' (i.e they don't work in the same offices, live in the same streets etc.) are far more intense and 'acid'. A reasonable explanation of the Watford Luton rivalry and its evolution from a 'friendly' rivalry in the 1950s to the fierce on we find today can be found here: http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/2944/29/ .
Reply 26
Hubert Poo
Dude, seriously, much of the stuff in the Arse soc is a joke. Again, a joke. The fans do not hate generally hate each other at all.

If anything it's sibling WUM.

God, people take the Arse soc far too ******* seriously sometimes.

Are you talking to me? ^^

I'm not saying there is a rivalry between the clubs, I certainly don't think there is - I agree with you.
Reply 27
I wish Gerrard a painful and horrific death. I feel nothing but bile and pure ph1 vitriol for the GEL. The horrific *****. Trufax.
Reply 28
reems23
I wish Gerrard a painful and horrific death. I feel nothing but bile and pure ph1 vitriol for the GELs. The horrific *****. Trufax.

Bile is an alkali, that would lead to a neutralisation. I concur. I wouldn't describe that as "horrific" though.
M_E_X
Are you talking to me? ^^

I'm not saying there is a rivalry between the clubs, I certainly don't think there is - I agree with you.

More some of the assumptions made about certain things. But yes, it wouldn't be a good example, to be frank. I don't think the thread is stupid though as one or two have said - the idea of what constitutes a rivalry is interesting to explore.

Gerrard is certainly a point of contention. Personally I think he's a gross scrote. The style of play issue much less; the earlier remark of a supposed superiority complex does exist, but perhaps not in the sense that is surmised. For the most part we're lapping it up in stark contrast to the **** we used to get under Graham, when we actually weren't that boring, I might add.
Brighton & Hove Albion and Crystal Palace have had long-standing rivalry. Can't understand why that might be though?
Reply 31
M_E_X
or he could hold down shift and press 3? :P:

Neg, because...

meskell
Also if anyone can tell me how to programme a pound sign into a Canadian laptop I would be most pleased. (It is a Vaio if that is any help)

...I'm replying to this. Of course, he doesn't seem to realise this, since he posted...

meskell
I don't understand why I should be pressing either of those things :confused:

...the massive rubbisher.

In other news, I quite like the idea of us just picking someone entirely random to have a rivalry with. No explanation will ever be offered other than; 'it's always been that way'. Extra cool points if it's someone utterly insignificant whose only claim to fame is our rivalry with them.
Reply 32
Panthalic
Neg, because...

...I'm replying to this. Of course, he doesn't seem to realise this, since he posted...

In other news, I quite like the idea of us just picking someone entirely random to have a rivalry with. No explanation will ever be offered other than; 'it's always been that way'. Extra cool points if it's someone utterly insignificant whose only claim to fame is our rivalry with them.

If he was confused, no wonder I was!

I'm trying to think of other things which can cause a rivalry. I think a player moving from one club to another could be the catalyst for a rivalry to start, but it still won't happen unless some other rivalry inducing factors are there.
Reply 33
Panthalic
Neg, because...

I thought it was because of that but I tried it and it didn't do anything :dontknow:
Reply 34
meskell
I thought it was because of that but I tried it and it didn't do anything :dontknow:

You're doing it wrong. Either because you're not holding down alt whilst pressing the numbers in order quick enough then releasing alt or because you're using a Mac OS which is an even bigger fail*.

*Or possibly 7, because I don't know about 7 but I'd doubt it's changed.
Arsenal - Spurs
Panthalic
You're doing it wrong. Either because you're not holding down alt whilst pressing the numbers in order quick enough then releasing alt or because you're using a Mac OS which is an even bigger fail*.

*Or possibly 7, because I don't know about 7 but I'd doubt it's changed.

You need to use the num pad, not the numbers at the top. :top:
Reply 37
Celtic_Anthony

Looks like that's why it isn't working then. I do miss proper number pads when using a laptop.
Reply 38
Celtic_Anthony

Everyone uses the numpad! But yes, I may've neglected to mention that bit...

meskell
Looks like that's why it isn't working then. I do miss proper number pads when using a laptop.

Do you not have one built into the keyboard as a secondary function?
Liverpool wouldn't think of a club like Arsenal as their rivals, especially looking at Arsenal's European history compared to the big guns.

Small fish.

Quick Reply

Latest