The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

randdom

If you want a mediciny book to read for interest complications by atul gwande is amazing!!!!

Thanks for that - just ordered all 3 from amazon :smile:.
Reply 41
Helenia
I read The Silmarillion and The Unfinished Tales by JRR Tolkien in my gap year. I still can't quite believe I was such a Tolkien-geek. :o:

I think we all are deep down. :p:
Smile88egc
At PMS they only rank us on our performance in the last 3 years of the course so you can chillax for the first and second years. Blanket reading of science won't do you a lot of good, you need to be able to apply it clinically to remember it well.
My advice would be to do more work experience type stuff, oh and earn some money, 5 years of uni is damn expensive!

ah im going to PMS in sept, and like the OP im on a gap year atm :o:
so do they quickly go over the A-level sciencey stuff in the 1st yr, or do they give u plenty of detail and go onto the deeper stuff asap?
Reply 43
SahilB91
I think we all are deep down. :p:

phew....

The 'obbit is much better boook, macca.

(also try BORN OF HOPE and THE HUNT FOR GOLLUM if you ave a spare moment hehe)
As a current medical student my best advice would be to enjoy the summer as much as you can and almost forget about (medicine related) summer reading. It isn't necessary to do any summer reading and most courses will have an introductory set of lectures that will bring everyone back up to speed with the basics.

Though I suppose if you were really keen then a bit of anatomy reading (I stress, a bit) wouldn't do any harm...
Reply 45
fortysixandtwo
Thanks for that - just ordered all 3 from amazon :smile:.

Hey- have you firmed yet? :smile:
Sanjetti
Hey- have you firmed yet? :smile:

I have indeed! :smile:

I withdrew from my 2 last choices just so I could. How about you?
vanilla camel
Bad Science is awesome! I mean that in the least nerdy way possible :p:

Embrace it. The chapter on drug company stat tricks is great! :cyber:
doesnotequal
Embrace it. The chapter on drug company stat tricks is great! :cyber:

pfft, that was supposed to be the boring one. I liked the one about the placebo effect, very interesting :beard:
vanilla camel
pfft, that was supposed to be the boring one. I liked the one about the placebo effect, very interesting :beard:

Yeah but you gotta ask yourself which one will make you a better Doctor for understanding :wink:
Memorise the concise book of muscles, you will need to learn much more later but its a good starting point.
Reply 53
Gizmo!
phew....

The 'obbit is much better boook, macca.

(also try BORN OF HOPE and THE HUNT FOR GOLLUM if you ave a spare moment hehe)

tbh the Hobbit is one of most readable Tolkein books I've read imo.

For some reason I find LOTR a bit dense sometimes, as if Tolkein just wants to use as many words as possible when about three would do.

The only other related Tolkein book I have read, is "The Children of Hurin", which is good but relatively pointless..
Reply 54
The reason I think I am gonna leave doing any work before term starts is because of the way Manchester is PBL and I have no idea what to start learning anyway...
SahilB91

For some reason I find LOTR a bit dense sometimes, as if Tolkein just wants to use as many words as possible when about three would do.

The only other related Tolkein book I have read, is "The Children of Hurin", which is good but relatively pointless..

I agree completely. The Silmarillion has to be one of the most boring books I have ever bought (and read). Tolkien's books just don't work...I mean whatever happened to supply lines and food and smiths and other practicalities of war. I find The Wheel of Time to be a much better fantasy work as the attention to detail is immense even if the author has verbal diarrhoea. Tolkien has however had an immense influence on fantasy literature for which I respect him greatly...it's just not my cup of tea.

On a side note, I'm currently reading Winds of War.
Reply 56
ahhh, but where would we be wiffout little 'obbits, macca?

they are luvvely. :biggrin:
Reply 57
SahilB91

some of the LOTR fan films are immense -

http://www.bornofhope.com/Watch.html
Any one read The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand?
Yea ill be reading over the summer!!

Its gonna be called "jamming :cool: , relaxing :yep: and sunbathing :danceboy: off the shores of northern Africa"

:biggrin: :smile: :dance:

Latest

Trending

Trending