The Student Room Group

private candidate exam centres in london

so far i've tried contacting 16 colleges/sixth forms in my area and all but one have said no because they don't except students unless they've studied in the college.

north london college accept private candidates but they are now fully booked therefore i dont know where i could sit my exam.

i want to be entered for a resit physics A module (OCR), but my current college will not allow me to do so. does anyone know any exam centres in london that accept private candidates.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
http://www.campbellharris.co.uk/

I was there for the Jan exams. You'll have no problems getting a seat.
ah, cool! i think you just made my day of searching all the better, ill contact them asap (monday).

thank you!
Reply 3
If that doesn't work try;
http://www.londonbrookescollege.co.uk/

They always allow private candidates. But its pretty expensive. £40 - £75, I think
siQ
If that doesn't work try;
http://www.londonbrookescollege.co.uk/

They always allow private candidates. But its pretty expensive. £40 - £75, I think

woah just checked 70 for an A level module...and i got a gutt feeling im going to be affected by late fees by monday.
Reply 5
KeineHeldenMehr
woah just checked 70 for an A level module...and i got a gutt feeling im going to be affected by late fees by monday.

I went to the college full time, and I know you can get the fees down if you haggle with the headteacher, I remember people doing that last year and getting it down to £50 per paper.

If all else fails you can fall back on London brookes i guess.
Reply 6
I did mine at ealing college upper school for waaaay cheaper. 3 resits for about £80
Reply 7
KeineHeldenMehr
ah, cool! i think you just made my day of searching all the better, ill contact them asap (monday).

thank you!

I still need to register myself and i've only just seen today that the deadline for the normal exam rate is this Sunday. I'm gonna give it a shot and ring them up tomorrow. I doubt anyone'll pick up, but it's worth a shout.
if your the girl in your Avatar then i might be able to help out. :smile:
I'll be able to tell you if a college in London's Islington is able to take in private candidate's and you won't have to worry cause it won't be fully booked as it's just starting the whole private candidate system.

I've been told exams there is ranging from £30-£40 at most.
SSingh23
I still need to register myself and i've only just seen today that the deadline for the normal exam rate is this Sunday. I'm gonna give it a shot and ring them up tomorrow. I doubt anyone'll pick up, but it's worth a shout.

yeah, just tried, goes straight to voice message.
ah crap, how much more does it go up?

^ to above, you talking about C&I?
if so, that would be pretty good too. since i did forgot to ring them up too.

is a (physics) practical a module that you can resit?
if so, i would also be thinking of doing that too.
Reply 10
KeineHeldenMehr
yeah, just tried, goes straight to voice message.
ah crap, how much more does it go up?

^ to above, you talking about C&I?
if so, that would be pretty good too. since i did forgot to ring them up too.

is a (physics) practical a module that you can resit?
if so, i would also be thinking of doing that too.

Yeah, the same happened to me. I think the late fees double the original cost, so around £60 per exam? I had to pay £90 per exam for the REALLY late fees in Jan. They also do practicals depending on availability at C&H, btw.
SSingh23
Yeah, the same happened to me. I think the late fees double the original cost, so around £60 per exam? I had to pay £90 per exam for the REALLY late fees in Jan. They also do practicals depending on availability at C&H, btw.

ouch, double sounds like quite a pinch if you're entering for more than one.
thanks again.
Casshern1456
I'll be able to tell you if a college in London's Islington is able to take in private candidate's and you won't have to worry cause it won't be fully booked as it's just starting the whole private candidate system.

london brookes - 350 pounds for just a practical and that's IF they can get a group together for it. otherwise 500..woah.

campbell harris - 65 for a written paper isnt too bad..

Casshern1456

i am quite interested in what college you're referring to, though your conditions are rather dodgy, only if im a girl???
Reply 13
OP - I second Campbell Harris, I'm doing exams externally as well and after contacting like 20 colleges, they said ok with minimal fuss. And £65 for a late entry is very good (I was quoted £120+ at two others so...)
KeineHeldenMehr
london brookes - 350 pounds for just a practical and that's IF they can get a group together for it. otherwise 500..woah.

campbell harris - 65 for a written paper isnt too bad..

i am quite interested in what college you're referring to, though your conditions are rather dodgy, only if im a girl???

no. I said IF you are the girl in your avatar. But it doesn't really matter now...i can tell you tomorrow if my school accept private candidates, i really hope they do cause i need to do math modules.:rolleyes:
Reply 15
i have to sit 6 AS exams elsewhere cos my school is one of the worst in north west london and are worried my results will bring them down
Casshern1456
no. I said IF you are the girl in your avatar. But it doesn't really matter now...i can tell you tomorrow if my school accept private candidates, i really hope they do cause i need to do math modules.:rolleyes:

did you find out? good/bad news?
KeineHeldenMehr
did you find out? good/bad news?

Hello!!

I've got good news and bad news.

bad news first(for me anyways)- my school decided to not go ahead with the private candidate thing.

good news(for you maybe)- i found a school http://www.ecus.org.uk/ does the exams, hopefully for your aswell. I was quoted £30.60 + single £40 administration fee.

Good luck!:woo:
Casshern1456
Hello!!

I've got good news and bad news.

bad news first(for me anyways)- my school decided to not go ahead with the private candidate thing.

good news(for you maybe)- i found a school http://www.ecus.org.uk/ does the exams, hopefully for your aswell. I was quoted £30.60 + single £40 administration fee.

Good luck!:woo:

thanks,
is that for written exams only?
KeineHeldenMehr
thanks,
is that for written exams only?

Erm I think it's best if you phone up the school tomorrow, the £30.60 is the cost of the written paper. I don't know about the practicles sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending