The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey there...in my first year I got an A in A-level Maths, and B's in AS Chemistry and Physics, and applied. I got an offer for Maths. You might aswell go for it or else you'll always think 'what if'!
its fine as long as you dont apply for PPE because im applying for PPE next year and i wish all Possible PPE applicants die of a plague so the competition decreases...
History, Biology and Maths are all strong subjects therefore take them on next year and you stand as good a chance as any :smile:

Don't worry too much about AS levels. The fact you've done five would make up for the fact Psychology isn't as respected as the others and Sport even less so.
Reply 4
Haha yeah I can imagine!!! I'm thinking of applying for Biological Sciences if I get the A grades in Maths and Biology (which I'm predicted to get). Also when it has the entry requirements AAA I'm guessing that includes the required subjects and preferred subjects but do they take into account the other grades or do you just submit 3. Sorry I'm pretty new to this... :smile:
Reply 5
number11
Haha yeah I can imagine!!! I'm thinking of applying for Biological Sciences if I get the A grades in Maths and Biology (which I'm predicted to get). Also when it has the entry requirements AAA I'm guessing that includes the required subjects and preferred subjects but do they take into account the other grades or do you just submit 3. Sorry I'm pretty new to this... :smile:

Well all your grades will go on your UCAS form, but your offer will (almost certainly) be based on three grades. Usually AAA with an A in Biology.
number11

You have a good chance if you get the grades, but it's obviously not as simple as that or the entrance requirements for Oxford would be A*A*A like they are for some courses at UCL, Imperial, etc.

Most people applying will probably have 3-4 A Levels that they're predicted A or higher in. That's just fact. What you need to do is make sure you stand out. Get some work experience relevant to your course decision. If you get to interview, it's make or break, so prepare for it.
Reply 7
TwilightKnight
You have a good chance if you get the grades, but it's obviously not as simple as that or the entrance requirements for Oxford would be A*A*A like they are for some courses at UCL, Imperial, etc.

Most people applying will probably have 3-4 A Levels that they're predicted A or higher in. That's just fact. What you need to do is make sure you stand out. Get some work experience relevant to your course decision. If you get to interview, it's make or break, so prepare for it.

What do you mean by work experience?
x_muneeb_x
its fine as long as you dont apply for PPE because im applying for PPE next year and i wish all Possible PPE applicants die of a plague so the competition decreases...

this is what my friend keeps telling everyone at school
number11
What do you mean by work experience?

Well, it depends on what you're applying for. Obviously if you're wanting to do Medicine, you want to try and get like, consulting shadowing experience etc.

They aren't looking for the real deal this early on, but anything that will make you stand out is worth doing.
I think as long as you get AAA in Maths, Biology and History at AS you may as well apply.
number11

I wanting to apply for biological sciences too! Youre a level choices are fine but try to ensure that you het A's in at least biology,maths and then history. Oh an btw what did you get at gcse?
Reply 12
walesisthebest
I wanting to apply for biological sciences too! Youre a level choices are fine but try to ensure that you het A's in at least biology,maths and then history. Oh an btw what did you get at gcse?

Oh I got 2A*'s (History and PE), 6A's (English Lit, English Lang, Statistics, Maths, Geography, Art) and 4B's (Double Science - not great I know, RE and French). How did you do in your GCSE's?
Reply 13
I think you should apply.
Reply 14
x_muneeb_x

haha funny guy, worry about yourself and not the competition.
number11
Oh I got 2A*'s (History and PE), 6A's (English Lit, English Lang, Statistics, Maths, Geography, Art) and 4B's (Double Science - not great I know, RE and French). How did you do in your GCSE's?

I got 6A*'s (Maths, Double Science, History, Geography, Welsh) and 4A's (English Language, English Literature, French, Statistics) I also got an A in AS level Science in Society.

For as level I am doing biology, chemistry, physics, maths and history.
Oh an btw your gcse's are fine, shame about the double science but I don't think it will hinder you.
Reply 17
Wow your AS's look pretty good. Will you take them all through to A2?
number11
Wow your AS's look pretty good. Will you take them all through to A2?

I don't think so, I'll make up my mind when I get my results but I'll probably drop physics or history.
The_0001
haha funny guy, worry about yourself and not the competition.

Haha i see u would be applying next year as well, im guessing for PPE at Oxford to.
I have the same AS levels as you except instead of politics i have business and an extra subject sociology.

I also did 1 AP i wonder if that gives any extra credit :s-smilie:

Latest