Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Confused about C4 Binomial Expansion.........yes, I know it's easy.

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The question is: Find the binomial expansion of (1 + 2x)^3 up to and including the terms in x^3. I can do this.

I can't do this: State the range values of x for which these expansions are valid.

I thought you do:
    |2x| < 1
    |x| < 1/2
    That's not what you do. What do you do?
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    The question is: Find the binomial expansion of (1 + 2x)^3 up to and including the terms in x^3. I can do this.

I can't do this: State the range values of x for which these expansions are valid.

I thought you do:
    |2x| < 1
    |x| < 1/2
    That's not what you do. What do you do?
    That looks correct to me

EDIT: oh wait, it would just be |x|<1 because its the type of binomial expansion that you found in C1/C2.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought you do :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But the answer just says "Expansion is finite and exact. Valid for all values of x." There's no modulus signs or equality signs.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (1 + 2x)^3 \equiv 1 + 6x + 12x^2 + 8x^3

It is to the power of a positive integer, so the expansion is exactly equal to it, so it works for all x. There's probably a better way to explain it, and your method would work if it was to the power of something else, but that's pretty much it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Think about the expansion itself. As it is to the power of 3 this means that when you continue to use the binomial formula terms after x^3 will always be equal to zero (try it out). This is because if the power you are exploring is an integer then the expansion will work for all values of x. It is the same as rewriting (1+2x)^3 as (1+2x)(1+2x)(1+2x) which works for all x. If it still isn't clear tell me what you don't understand and i'll try to explain further.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    But the answer just says "Expansion is finite and exact. Valid for all values of x." There's no modulus signs or equality signs.
    Ah I see now. because the expansion is not to a fractional or negative power, It would stop after the 4th term. so there is no limitation of what values of x it is valid for.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IDGAF)
    Think about the expansion itself. As it is to the power of 3 this means that when you continue to use the binomial formula terms after x^3 will always be equal to zero (try it out). This is because if the power you are exploring is an integer then the expansion will work for all values of x. It is the same as rewriting (1+2x)^3 as (1+2x)(1+2x)(1+2x) which works for all x. If it still isn't clear tell me what you don't understand and i'll try to explain further.
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    Ah I see now. because the expansion is not to a fractional or negative power, It would stop after the 4th term. so there is no limitation of what values of x it is valid for.
    (Original post by gcseeeman)
    (1 + 2x)^3 \equiv 1 + 6x + 12x^2 + 8x^3

It is to the power of a positive integer, so the expansion is exactly equal to it, so it works for all x. There's probably a better way to explain it, and your method would work if it was to the power of something else, but that's pretty much it.
    So whenever it's an expansion to the power of a positive integer, it is valid for all values of x?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it has something to do with the power? All values of x apply if the power is a positive integer. You only use the modulus if the power is negative or a fraction. I think that's it anyway

If you do Edexcel C4 maths, check the summary section at the end of the chapter, it says it there (and I know this because I'm reading it now, haha :p:)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 20, 2010
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.