The Student Room Group

Which universities should I apply to?

I'm having a really hard time deciding which unis to apply to. I've looked at the league tables and different university courses a billion times.
But, obviously, league tables really don't give good guidance and I'm not in the UK so I'm not able to visit the unis.

I talked to my careers counselor who recommended me to apply to:
UCL, Bath, York and Warwick.
UCL, Bath and York are all pretty high on the league tables so I know they're good for psychology.
But I'm not sure if I want to live in London because I really want the uni campus feeling.

What unis do you guys recommend me to apply to for psychology? what are some of the pros and cons of the universities I listed above?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why don't you look up the league tables for Psychology to see which unis are the best to apply to for Psychology?
Reply 2
pink giggle
I'm having a really hard time deciding which unis to apply to. I've looked at the league tables and different university courses a billion times.
But, obviously, league tables really don't give good guidance and I'm not in the UK so I'm not able to visit the unis.

UCL, Bath and York are all pretty high on the league tables so I know they're good for psychology.
But I'm not sure if I want to live in London because I really want the uni campus feeling.

What unis do you guys recommend me to apply to for psychology? what are some of the pros and cons of the universities I listed above?

What are your grades like? What subjects are you doing and what grades do you think you'll get? By the sounds of things you're a high achiever, as you're looking at top universities, in which case any university in the top 20ish is fine. League tables give a general overview, but they shouldn't dictate your decision. Is social life important to you? If you want the 'uni campus feeling' then Warwick's good for that, but you could feel isolated. UCL is miles above any of the other universities you mentioned, but very competitive, and if you think you wouldn't be happy living there, then don't apply. Make a shortlist of around 10 univerisites you like the look of, and try to visit as many of them as possible. Going to open days is extremely important and very helpful, as everyone will have a different opinion of a univeristy. You get a really good feel for it when you visit yourself.
EDIT: Didn't read that you can't attend any open days :s-smilie:
pink giggle

Warwick is a very campus-based Uni. Probably the most campus-based of all Universities! I would really recommend Birmingham though, as it is known as one of the best Universities for Psychology. My psychology teacher raaaved about it and as long as you're predicted AAB and have a good reference you should get in :smile:
Reply 4
moomin_love
Warwick is a very campus-based Uni. Probably the most campus-based of all Universities! I would really recommend Birmingham though, as it is known as one of the best Universities for Psychology. My psychology teacher raaaved about it and as long as you're predicted AAB and have a good reference you should get in :smile:

Wow, can I just say you must have had a pretty amazing personal statement to cover all the subjects you've applied for! :eek: Well done on all offers!

To the OP, I've applied to York and Bath so I can say that:

-If you like a small uni campus then York is good. They also have scanning facilities. York is only a mediumish size place though- not anywhere near as big as london, however it is really nice. The campus itself isn't the most aesthetically pleasing though! :P: They of course have a good reputation for psychology and are currently asking for less than most top league table unis for psychology.

-Bath is a really good uni for psychology and they have a placement year which could potentially be very beneficial. They have a amazing sports facilities, its situated in a very lovely, scenic town and they also have a good reputation. Their course is also quite flexible as you can take a language, biology, sociology etc alongside psychology too. Its main focus is health psychology but also focuses on social and cognitive psychology. The entry requirements are high. Its a little far out though, but I suppose Bristol is close by.

-I didn't apply to Warwick or UCL but if you don't want to live in london then don't go to UCL as you will be there for 3 years. Warwick as mentioned above is the exact opposite which is about as campus based as you can get!

- As for what to reccomend you, I'd say Bath, York, Warwick, if you quite like quieter places and you don't mind going to Scotland then perhaps St.Andrews/Glasgow? Then as a final choice maybe exeter or Birmingham. It really depends on what your looking for in a uni and what subjects you are taking. :yes:
HighSkies
Wow, can I just say you must have had a pretty amazing personal statement to cover all the subjects you've applied for! :eek: Well done on all offers!

Haha my personal statement was actually for Psychology. I changed my mind in February and so my Universities let me change course (apart from Exeter, as it's pretty much full unless you go to the Cornwall campus). So I actually recieved 9/9 offers :P:
Reply 6
pink giggle

I went to Leicester's UCAS applicants visit day yesterday and the professor gave us some really good advice about how to choose the best university for Psychology.

A research led university is far superior to a university that does not carry out any research. York is well known for their research in Psychology. He also said something about ‘Teaching Universities’ being less superior…

A university that teaches most Postgraduate degrees in Psychology shows that they are serious. (If they only do 1 or two it shows that they as a university don’t emphasise on Psychology enough).
Your degree has to be accredited but BPS (British Psychological Society).

And most of all you need to find out the course structure, what they actually teach, how they teach it and then you can finally make an informed decision. Most of this can be found on the university websites, the rest will have to be found on open days.

Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Anna---K
What are your grades like? What subjects are you doing and what grades do you think you'll get?

Is social life important to you? If you want the 'uni campus feeling' then Warwick's good for that, but you could feel isolated. UCL is miles above any of the other universities you mentioned, but very competitive, and if you think you wouldn't be happy living there, then don't apply. Make a shortlist of around 10 univerisites you like the look of, and try to visit as many of them as possible. Going to open days is extremely important and very helpful, as everyone will have a different opinion of a univeristy. You get a really good feel for it when you visit yourself.
EDIT: Didn't read that you can't attend any open days :s-smilie:

I'm doing the IB and am currently getting 6s in all my subjects.
Im doing Psychology HL, Bio HL, Eng A1 HL, Math, Mandarin, Swedish Self-taught.
I'm getting really close to getting a 7 in psych and mandarin so when it comes to my predict grade it'll be 38 and then plus 2 or 3 TOK/EE points.

The social life isn't too important to me, I'm not really a party person but I don't want it to be completely isolated.

Thanks for the help (:
Reply 8
Exeter, Birmingham, Warwick are all campus universities, and meant to be good.
Reply 9
HighSkies

To the OP, I've applied to York and Bath so I can say that:

-If you like a small uni campus then York is good. They also have scanning facilities. York is only a mediumish size place though- not anywhere near as big as london, however it is really nice. The campus itself isn't the most aesthetically pleasing though! :P: They of course have a good reputation for psychology and are currently asking for less than most top league table unis for psychology.

-Bath is a really good uni for psychology and they have a placement year which could potentially be very beneficial. They have a amazing sports facilities, its situated in a very lovely, scenic town and they also have a good reputation. Their course is also quite flexible as you can take a language, biology, sociology etc alongside psychology too. Its main focus is health psychology but also focuses on social and cognitive psychology. The entry requirements are high. Its a little far out though, but I suppose Bristol is close by.

-I didn't apply to Warwick or UCL but if you don't want to live in london then don't go to UCL as you will be there for 3 years. Warwick as mentioned above is the exact opposite which is about as campus based as you can get!

- As for what to reccomend you, I'd say Bath, York, Warwick, if you quite like quieter places and you don't mind going to Scotland then perhaps St.Andrews/Glasgow? Then as a final choice maybe exeter or Birmingham. It really depends on what your looking for in a uni and what subjects you are taking. :yes:

Thank you for all the info about Bath and York! Have you been to visit both of them? How big are the two campuses in comparison to each other?

Yeah, I've looked into St.Andrews. But i'm not completely sure yet, the first year in Scotland Unis is just kind of different general courses, right?

Right now I'm just looking for a good psychology course that i would enjoy, and a nice university feel - like i don't want anything super big (so not London, i guess ;D ). I kinda like the whole idea of old traditional buildings but that's just cause i love those Harry Potter looking buildings :rolleyes:
I'm not really picky, just really fickle. I keep looking at unis and keep changing my mind.
pink giggle
I kinda like the whole idea of old traditional buildings but that's just cause i love those Harry Potter looking buildings

How about this beast:

Reply 11
GodspeedGehenna
How about this beast:

:eek3:
Wow! Where's that?!
Chibelta
:eek3:
Wow! Where's that?!

Royal Holloway University of London.
pink giggle
Thank you for all the info about Bath and York! Have you been to visit both of them? How big are the two campuses in comparison to each other?

Yeah, I've looked into St.Andrews. But i'm not completely sure yet, the first year in Scotland Unis is just kind of different general courses, right?

Right now I'm just looking for a good psychology course that i would enjoy, and a nice university feel - like i don't want anything super big (so not London, i guess ;D ). I kinda like the whole idea of old traditional buildings but that's just cause i love those Harry Potter looking buildings :rolleyes:
I'm not really picky, just really fickle. I keep looking at unis and keep changing my mind.

I have yet to visit Bath (will be doing so in the easter holidays) so I can tell you for certain then! :p: York is known for having one of the smallest uni campuses but I would hazard a guess that Bath is even smaller judging by the map!

Yeah, it is like that first year. Although its possible to get second year entry so you skip the first making it a three year course.

Harry Potter-esque? haha well how about Durham? You get to live in a castle. :wink:

Well, take your time. Don't get *too* worked up over it right now. :smile:
Reply 14
GodspeedGehenna
How about this beast:

<3 <3 love it. love it. love it.
Reply 15
HighSkies
I have yet to visit Bath (will be doing so in the easter holidays) so I can tell you for certain then! :p: York is known for having one of the smallest uni campuses but I would hazard a guess that Bath is even smaller judging by the map!

Yeah, it is like that first year. Although its possible to get second year entry so you skip the first making it a three year course.

Harry Potter-esque? haha well how about Durham? You get to live in a castle. :wink:

Well, take your time. Don't get *too* worked up over it right now. :smile:

Oh, awesome! Well, write to me once you've been to Bath and tell me what it's like (:

Oh really? It is possible? that's good to know, thanks! :yes:

Yes, Harry Potter-esque. :biggrin: Woahhh. Durhams college courtyard! gorgeous!
Reply 16
Mudya
I went to Leicester's UCAS applicants visit day yesterday and the professor gave us some really good advice about how to choose the best university for Psychology.

A research led university is far superior to a university that does not carry out any research. York is well known for their research in Psychology. He also said something about ‘Teaching Universities’ being less superior…

A university that teaches most Postgraduate degrees in Psychology shows that they are serious. (If they only do 1 or two it shows that they as a university don’t emphasise on Psychology enough).
Your degree has to be accredited but BPS (British Psychological Society).

And most of all you need to find out the course structure, what they actually teach, how they teach it and then you can finally make an informed decision. Most of this can be found on the university websites, the rest will have to be found on open days.

Hope this helps!

Ohh, that's good to know! I'm quite sure I've heard York is very research based so I'm guessing that's why it's known for being good in Psychology.

Thanks for all the info! :smile:
I'd been looking at the course structure but hadn't thought of looking much at how they taught it, so I'll definitely look into that. :smile:
pink giggle
<3 <3 love it. love it. love it.

We also have one of the best Psych departments in the UK and consistently produce internationally recognised research, particularly in cognitive neuroscience and vision research.
Reply 18
Have a look on www.unionview.com for info about each university.

In my opinion...
Top band for psych = Oxford, Cambridge, UCL
Next band = York, Birmingham, St Andrews, RHUL, Bristol, Bath
3rd = Exeter, Cardiff, Nottingham, Southampton, Glasgow
4th = Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield, Edinburgh, Durham, Warwick
5th = Kent, Surrey, Sussex, Bangor, UEA
etc.

(I've probably left quite a few good places out, but I can't remember everywhere at the moment!)

Another point - look at the research interests of the professors at each uni as you can then get an idea of the main interests of the department as a whole and what you will be learning about. If you like what you see, go for that uni!
Reply 19
skotch
Have a look on www.unionview.com for info about each university.

In my opinion...
Top band for psych = Oxford, Cambridge, UCL
Next band = York, Birmingham, St Andrews, RHUL, Bristol, Bath
3rd = Exeter, Cardiff, Nottingham, Southampton, Glasgow
4th = Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield, Edinburgh, Durham, Warwick
5th = Kent, Surrey, Sussex, Bangor, UEA
etc.

(I've probably left quite a few good places out, but I can't remember everywhere at the moment!)

Another point - look at the research interests of the professors at each uni as you can then get an idea of the main interests of the department as a whole and what you will be learning about. If you like what you see, go for that uni!

Kent's Psychology department is extremely good - Manchester's department is really not good compared to the rest of the Universities reputation. Southampton also isn't great - based on Graduate prospectus.

I would say

1: UCL/Oxford/Cambridge/York
2. Bath/Glasgow/St.Andrews
3.Birmingham, Sheffield, Southampton, RHUL
4.Sussex, Kent, Durham
5.Warwick, Nottingham

I too will have forgotton some, but look at SUBJECT SPECIFIC comments and not the general university reputation.

Hope this helps

Latest