The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Getting back to the thread I reckon the best national anthem ever (tune wise) was the old Soviet Union's. That's one awesome piece of music!

Howard
Reply 41
Howard
Getting back to the thread I reckon the best national anthem ever (tune wise) was the old Soviet Union's. That's one awesome piece of music!

Howard

Russia and Ukraine still use it.
Reply 42
Howard

Howard

To be honest, I don't believe I've ever heard it.
Reply 43
Hibbsy
Coming back to the point of debate, God Save The Queen is a fine National Anthem for such a fine upstanding country. If it isn't broken let's not try to fix it - unless it's for Rule Brittania! :biggrin:

what would happen if our word for "queen" had more than one syllable?
Reply 44
Sire
To be honest, I don't believe I've ever heard it.

it is really good, dramatic and melodic. look it up in google, there should be mp3s do download.
Reply 45
Perhaps we should look at having Land of Hope and Glory for the UK National Anthem, just a suggestion
Reply 46
What about the UK?

no most likely it would be switzerland....and america of course, would win!
Reply 47
elpaw
what would happen if our word for "queen" had more than one syllable?

Like "God save the elpaw?" or God save 2776? A good choice.
Reply 48

it would be rather hard to sing though!
Reply 49

no, i was thinking if we didn't use "queen" but "kingette" or something like that. then the word wouldn't fit into the rhythm and there would ghave to be a seperate anthem for king and kingette.
Reply 50
What is it about America that makes them ever so arrogant?
Reply 51
Hibbsy

Superiority in weaponry and economic sense?
Reply 52
Hibbsy

for the first thing

the fact that we beat you in about 1775 when you had the best army in the world and we had pitchforks (and the french which isnt much better)

second....we won the war of 1812 and kicked you out of america AGAIN, while using a MILILTIA......more farmers with pitchforks

third...we won bith WW1 and WW2 :biggrin:
curryADD
for the first thing

the fact that we beat you in about 1775 when you had the best army in the world and we had pitchforks (and the french which isnt much better)

second....we won the war of 1812 and kicked you out of america AGAIN, while using a MILILTIA......more farmers with pitchforks

Oh there you go again. 'We saved your asses in WW2' blah blah blah.
Reply 54
curryADD
for the first thing

Oh really? I think we were involved in both wars the longest - wasn't it 41 before you became involved in WW2?

If it wasn't for the fool that was Chamberlain it may never have came to war.(I.e we could have stopped germany before they were on our doorsteps)
Reply 55
Hibbsy
Oh really? I think we were involved in both wars the longest - wasn't it 41 before you became involved in WW2?

If it wasn't for the fool that was Chamberlain it may never have came to war.(I.e we could have stopped germany before they were on our doorsteps)

yes but we still won it....and you completely ignored the upper one half of my post hehehe!
Reply 56
curryADD
yes but we still won it....and you completely ignored the upper one half of my post hehehe!

To be honest I don't give a diddly squat about America's independance - let's face it, it was going to happen anways.

There's no need to be jealous or hold admiration for yanks - anything that's anything normally has links to the British.
Reply 57
elpaw
Russia and Ukraine still use it.

Yes, the Russians did abandon it for while after the collapse of the USSR. The had a new anthem for a temporary time but it seems everyone thought it was shite so they went back to the old one.
Reply 58
Hibbsy
To be honest I don't give a diddly squat about America's independance - let's face it, it was going to happen anways.

There's no need to be jealous or hold admiration for yanks - anything that's anything normally has links to the British.

yeah like american football and baseball eh? and what about surfind and skating..? skating is purely american! plus basketball.....made up in america, played in america!
Reply 59
curryADD
yeah like american football and baseball eh? and what about surfind and skating..? skating is purely american! plus basketball.....made up in america, played in america!

Let's face it, that was not on my list of priorities. I'm not going to cry myself to sleep over that one.

Latest

Trending

Trending