The Student Room Group

BMI Confusion.. can anyone advise?

Hi,

Basically I'm a bit confused about BMI / body fat indexes, and general stuff like that. If you have an idea about these things, I'd much appreciate it if you read the following, which is copied-and-pasted from my cycle blog, and let me know if the analysis I reached is about accurate, or whether there is more to it.

(the following is from: http://thanetcycling.wordpress.com/2010/03/20/measurements-and-bmi/)

There’s a weight/height machine in Boots near Cecil Square Margate. I took the opportunity today to put 70p in it, and have my weight, height, BMI and body fat mass calculated.

I took a BMI measurement as part of my JB Sports gym induction before Christmas 2009 – 30/11/2009. I thought it might be interesting to compare it to the one taken today. The machines are virtually identical, and you get a receipt that you can take away and record.

The results were quite surprising to me. I have been mostly inactive over the xmas period from December to February, simply because it hasn’t been good weather for cycling, I don’t have an active lifestyle at the moment, and I don’t like the gym I signed up for. However I didn’t expect to put on as much weight as the comparison shows. Part of side-affects of both types of medication I have to take daily, is weight gain, and so it’s expected that I will gain weight quickly without an active life. I was anticipating this, and that’s one of the reasons why I started cycling every day. However it’s still surprising and quite worrying.

Date taken: 30/11/09 (at gym)
Weight: 12st 51lb / 78.8kg
Height: 5′ 73 / 1.71m
BMI (weight in kg / height in m ^2) = 26.9
Body Fat: 24.8%
Body Fat Mass: 19.5kg

Date taken: 20/03/10 (today at Boots pharmacy)
Weight: 13st 71lb / 86.0kg
Height: 5′ 8 / 1.73m
BMI (weight in kg / height in m ^2) = 28.7
Body Fat: 20.5%
Body Fat Mass: 17.6kg

Now I’ve never really looked at, or measured, BMI before, but it appears that my BMI (weight) has gone up from 26.9 to 28.7, yet the amount of fat that I have has gone down from 24.8% to 20.5%, with my actual body fat mass going down from 19.5kg to 17.6kg (1.9kg reduction), even though my overall weight has gone from 78.8kg to 86.0kg (8kg increase!).

So to me, it seems as though I’ve put on a lot of weight, but it’s mostly muscle. It seems.. 8kg of muscle, and I’ve reduced the amount of body fat I have by a total of 2.1kg. Can this be right? I don’t know, I’m not an expert. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers
Reply 1
the difference in scales might account for the weight gain.

My scales put me as 8lb/9lb heavier than the calibrated scales at the hospital .

According to these things your height has changed too by 2cm which providing your an adult is unlikely, those 2cm will change the BMI numbers significantly. Try to weigh yourself on the same scales at the same time of day . Neither of the two sets of scales are likely to be totally accurate, especially boots imagine the number of children who have jumped all over them

Are you doing weight training, if so you will have built up muscle, and muscle weighs significantly more than fat and generally as you gain muscle you lose fat.
Reply 2
bekki2308
the difference in scales might account for the weight gain.

My scales put me as 8lb/9lb heavier than the calibrated scales at the hospital .

According to these things your height has changed too by 2cm which providing your an adult is unlikely, those 2cm will change the BMI numbers significantly. Try to weigh yourself on the same scales at the same time of day . Neither of the two sets of scales are likely to be totally accurate, especially boots imagine the number of children who have jumped all over them

Are you doing weight training, if so you will have built up muscle, and muscle weighs significantly more than fat and generally as you gain muscle you lose fat.

Thanks, I didn't consider those points. The 2cm was probably because I was slightly slumped at the gym, and scared of the gym inductor person :smile:

I'll go back and use the scales at the gym before my membership runs out at the end of the month, for a more accurate comparison.

I've been cycling for 2-3 weeks, regular distances of about 10miles on average per day.. no weight training.
Reply 3
A better idea for checking your size might be to measure hips waist bust and thighs, because you may gain weight but lose an inch everywhere.

Cycling is more likely to tone existing muscle and possibly add a little , but wont bulk you up massively :smile: cycling in a a gear where it is hard to peddle will gain muscle and its really good exercise.

gd luck
Reply 4
Updates..

OK, so I went back to my original gym today and took another measurement on their scales, and then I went next door, and took a separate measurement at Boots Pharmacy in Westwood:

Date taken: 21/03/10 (today at gym)
Weight: 13st 11lb / 83.3kg
Height: 5′ 8.0 / 1.73m
BMI (weight in kg / height in m ^2) = 27.8
Body Fat: 17.1%
Body Fat Mass: 14.2kg

Date taken: 21/03/10 (today at Boots Pharmacy Westwood)
Weight: 13st 21lb / 89.9kg
Height: 5′ 8.8 / 1.75m
BMI (weight in kg / height in m ^2) = 27.4
Body Fat: 17.5%
Body Fat Mass: 14.6kg

So as suggested, the scales seem to tell a different story depending on which ones you stand on. Even though the Boots phamacy in Margate uses exactly the same scales as the on in Westwood.. not only do they get my height wrong, but also my weight varies, and Body Fat also. Argh.

However I’m content in knowing that by those two separate measurements, taken today, my Body Fat is probably accurate at 17.5%. This means that I am currently overweight at 83.3kg, but most of that weight is actually muscle. My “fat index” (how much of my body weight is fat) is better than normal, in fact it’s good at 17.5% (the average is about 23.3%), and suggests that I’m fit.

I’ll get this explained more by my GP next time I see him, but I think this is the case.
Reply 5
sounds like a good idea :smile:

Latest