The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
ramroff
what makes you say that, out of curiosity? if anything, that surfing degree is still an art of some sort?

I'd say it was more of a hobby than an art! At least they saw sense in the end .
Reply 101
Miles
I'd say it was more of a hobby than an art! At least they saw sense in the end .

This is becuase not enough people could make the two D's entry requirements :biggrin:

I do however think people should stop mocking degrees becuase of their title, before poking fun at least have a look at the spec. They said it was a management course but if its anything like the management modules I did it would be fairly easy as most management is just about common sense.
Reply 102
AT82
This is becuase not enough people could make the two D's entry requirements :biggrin:

I do however think people should stop mocking degrees becuase of their title, before poking fun at least have a look at the spec. They said it was a management course but if its anything like the management modules I did it would be fairly easy as most management is just about common sense.

Why not just do a Management degree then instead of an SS one? The former isn't going to disadvantage you? :confused:
Reply 103
This is a good question but why did I do Multimedia and Internet Technology instead of Computer Science which I had offer for? Because the idea of programming in Java for three years did not appeal to me at all and I have a big interest in human computer interfaces which my course covered quite a lot of but computer science didn't.

Yet it feels like people look down on it becuase its not computer science despite both coursing having virtualy the same entry requirements.
Reply 104
AT82
This is a good question but why did I do Multimedia and Internet Technology instead of Computer Science which I had offer for? Because the idea of programming in Java for three years did not appeal to me at all and I have a big interest in human computer interfaces which my course covered quite a lot of but computer science didn't.

Yet it feels like people look down on it becuase its not computer science despite both coursing having virtualy the same entry requirements.

Maybe people look down on it because its new? Could it be that what with the current climate about easier a-levels, and 'mickey mouse' degrees, any new courses (I'm guessing your degree only started being offered less than 5 years ago?) that are introduced are instantly derided, whether or not they are actually good?

you have to admit though, that surfing studies thing along with a few others in those links (air guitaring including) were a bit silly though :wink:
The question is a bit misleading really, since most of us aren't arguing that media studies etc is as respected as traditional subjects, we're arguing that it should be. Perhaps a better question would be 'do you agree that media studies is easier/should be less respected than traditional subjects?'
I would say that subjects like Electronic Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Global Politics, MORSE (Maths, Operational Research, Statistics and Economics), Informatics, Biochemistry, Cognitive Science, Development Studies, Ecology, Human Sciences, Molecular Genetics, Management, Economic History, Microbiology, Acturial Science, Astrophysics, Forensic Science, War Studies, Criminology, Heritage Management, Industrial Relations, Marketing, Pharmacy, and Urban Studies...

are all just as useful as the so-called 'traditional' subjects in ultimately getting the job you want, and they are all probably going to be far more relevant in the world you end up in as an adult. If knowledge always adhered to tradition, we'd still be living in trees. The cutting edge of learning and teaching is, by it's very nature, 'new'. Get used to it. The world is constantly changing, and education and qualifications need to move in a way that keeps up with it.

Of course, if what the questioner actually meant to ask was "To what extent do you think Media Studies is a piece of piss, because everyone else seems to?", then the answer from me is "Who gives a damn?" Media professionals will be more likely to give a job to someone with a degree in something like 'Media Practice and Theory' than to someone with a degree in Chemistry or French. Arguably, yes, they are less likely to get the job than someone with an English degree, but surely that's their risk to take?
Wise One
Pharmacy

I wouldn't really say pharmacy was 'new' ... of course the degree isn't the same as it would have been say 40 or 50 years ago but it's changing alongside the profession changing like many other healthcare degrees.

I do agree with the essence of what you were saying though :smile:
Reply 108
You've got to love Ramroffs perseverance!
I wake up in the morning to the Radio 1 breakfast show, go downstairs and put BBC1 on to watch the Breakfast news as I have a cup of tea and eat my breakfast. I check the Radio Times to see what's on TV that night. I walk down the road and see adverts on the side of my bus. On the bus I read Cosmopolitan, NME or the Guardian, or listen to my mp3 player which I brought off the internet. As my bus enters town I see billboard posters advertising cars, banks or Sky TV...etc etc...

We live in a society that is saturated by media and as such it is completely legitimate to study it. All new subjects take a while to find their feet...like sociology in the 70s. I had no qualms about picking media as a degree as my personal enthusiasm for the subject means that I will hopefully do better (at uni and in future employment) than if I'd gone for English at Cambridge. At least this way I can continue to build my showreel.

Latest