The Student Room Group

Oxford Law Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
superdillon
Ahh...thats where I went wrong in my interview.

:rolleyes: Silly boy. Your feet are always the most important part of any interview! :p:
Reply 21
Has anybody had an offer from Oxford, to do Law at degree, with an A Level in Law. Basically, do you think its possible to do Law at Oxford having done A Level law. Thanks.
I got into oxford to do law having studied law, psychology, sociology and english lit for A level (with biology, politics and critical thinking at AS). Don't worry too much about which subjects you do at A level doing well in them and having a good LNAT score, personal statement and most importantly interview are far more important. (and whatever anyone says the criminal law I did at A level did help when I did criminal law last term lol)
Reply 23
I have been told that they don't think it will scathe/help your application (by tutors at a conference) so yeaah :smile:
Reply 24
charlie47
Has anybody had an offer from Oxford, to do Law at degree, with an A Level in Law. Basically, do you think its possible to do Law at Oxford having done A Level law. Thanks.

Yes it's possible.

The notion of A level Law prejudicing one's application is nonsense.
i got an offer for oxford law with ABB as my AS results in my main subjects; if i can get that, you can get an offer for Law with Law at A Level
Reply 26
Yes, you can. Are you doing yourself any favours by taking it? probably not.
Yeah, me.

There's very little you can read, watch or study that's going to destroy your intellect enough to be relevant.
you've pretty much had an answer I think but I'm not going to let that stop me adding my 2 cents:rolleyes:
On the open day last yr one of the law students talking 2 ppl had got in for law with law A-level AND the tutor said it was not a problem as far as he was concerned.
:smile:
Reply 29
Doing A level law is absolutely fine- I found it really beneficial for me :P
It's possible to get in I'm sure, just at a slight disadvantage against candidates who did what they percieve to be more academically rigorous subjects.
Reply 31
ninety_nine
It's possible to get in I'm sure, just at a slight disadvantage against candidates who did what they percieve to be more academically rigorous subjects.

NO!

Law A-level is viewed just the same as any other A-level. it puts you at neither an advantage nor a disadvantage any more than doing French or Geography would do. About half the lawyers in my year at college did it and half didn't. Colleges care about your legal ability as it is demonstrated through the LNAT and in your interview and not about whether you have ever heard of Lord Denning or the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999. As far as A-levels go, they simply want to know that you're bright and that this can be demonstrated in good A-level results.

As for the suggestion that Law A-level is not 'academically rigorous', I never did it so I don't have a clue how hard it is, but what I do know is that there are plenty of people who do law at Oxford who have done it, so this is clearly rubbish. As I say, as far as I can tell the most important thing is showing that you have legal ability and that you're bright in that your A-levels are good.
Reply 32
Hi,

I have just been watching the mock interview video on cambridge university website and was wandering whether the format of interview is usually similar at oxford?

I have been told that they vary, however, most likely they are going to ask you to analyse a legal text and try and engage you into a discussion...

I also heard of some really daunting questions that the tend to ask, like :

are the british obsessed with paedophilia?
is ethnicity race?
in a society of angels, do you need laws?
and etc.

what do you all think about this?

it makes me rather worried (if i get invited to one of course)...not because i might not know the correct answer, because really there isnt one as such...but just that thought of getting stuck and not being able to think of a convincing argument at that particular moment...

how are the rest of you feeling?
Reply 33
Isn't the appeal that there is no right answer and it hinges on manipulation of logic?
eve_22
Hi,

I have just been watching the mock interview video on cambridge university website and was wandering whether the format of interview is usually similar at oxford?

I have been told that they vary, however, most likely they are going to ask you to analyse a legal text and try and engage you into a discussion...

I also heard of some really daunting questions that the tend to ask, like :

are the british obsessed with paedophilia?
is ethnicity race?
in a society of angels, do you need laws?
and etc.

what do you all think about this?

it makes me rather worried (if i get invited to one of course)...not because i might not know the correct answer, because really there isnt one as such...but just that thought of getting stuck and not being able to think of a convincing argument at that particular moment...

how are the rest of you feeling?

I saw a mock Law interview when I was applying via the Access Scheme and they did give the 'applicant' a bit of legal text to analyse. There were quite detailed questions about the exact wording and what the wording implies, etc. and in X situation how does the law apply and is that any different to situation Y, etc. Didn't hear any daunting questions like the ones you mentioned, but they probs could come up as well.

The tutors do know that people are nervous and that they might freeze. When I got stuck, my interviewers prompted me until I was heading in the right direction, though I suppose that could vary from tutor to tutor :smile:
Reply 35
The_Lonely_Goatherd
I saw a mock Law interview when I was applying via the Access Scheme and they did give the 'applicant' a bit of legal text to analyse. There were quite detailed questions about the exact wording and what the wording implies, etc. and in X situation how does the law apply and is that any different to situation Y, etc. Didn't hear any daunting questions like the ones you mentioned, but they probs could come up as well.

The tutors do know that people are nervous and that they might freeze. When I got stuck, my interviewers prompted me until I was heading in the right direction, though I suppose that could vary from tutor to tutor :smile:

Hopefully, if i get an interview, my tutor will be as nice as yours was:smile:

Thanks for the information...really appreciate it
No problem, I remember how nerve-wracking it all was! :smile:
where did you find the video of Law mock interview?
because I went on the Cambridge uni website, and only found maths and biology, chemistry, history videos and not Law... :frown:
Reply 38
If you follow the link from this page http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_stories/2008/081014_2.html you can find some mock law interview videos from Oxford.
Reply 39
mja
If you follow the link from this page http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_stories/2008/081014_2.html you can find some mock law interview videos from Oxford.

I cant seem to find it, although I did go on that page...any further directions?please?pretty please?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending