Oxford Law Students and Applicants

Law interviews:

What were YOU asked?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
JamieLaw
Law interviews:

What were YOU asked?

to read a case study, then was grilled to death about it.
Reply 2
To discuss whether someone was liable for criminal damage in a scenario, for the prosecution, and against while the scenario kept changing.

Second interview, a compensation liability scenario, doing same as above with changing situations.

Asked "Why Law?", a little on my statement, and another more general question on law and how far society influences it.
Reply 3
About suicide, terrorism, trespassing assemblies, racist protests, why law, why oxford
Reply 4
I got *beeeeeeeep* (blanked out in view of the WARNING thread thing) , they asked *beeeeeeeep*, and then spent the rest of two interviews firing different scenarios at me and getting me to compare and contrast them, and asking how it would change things if such and such was changed.. I spent about a month learning about the stuff on my personal statement and they didn't even MENTION it!!

I appreciate that people have copied it into their posts and my editing it won't change it, but it makes my conscience feel better to have edited it... equally I've become ridiculously superstitious since my interview and I'd be worried about my tutor having seen it and worked out that it was me otherwise lol! Thanks folks x
Sami - I can't believe I failed to work out which one you were in all the time we were at Christ Church, I'm so sorry I didn't get a chance to speak to you! Hope you had a good time though. Where abouts in college were you staying?

I screwed up all the 'easy' questions which weren't related to the statute/case summary in my interviews, and I'm pretty sure I came across as really, really annoying. Did anyone else feel a complete fraud after talking to other applicants? I don't think I deserve to get in after meeting them, but that doesn't mean I won't sulk for weeks at the rejection letter.
Reply 6
know exactly how u feel...... :banghead:
Reply 7
Don't worry about it, I saw you both! I was in Peckwater Quad, and don't worry. If you impressed with the "difficult" questions that is the most important thing.
Reply 8
laura13
I got 'would you say you were intelligent or hardworking?', they asked what my favourite subject was and got me to justify it, and then spent the rest of two interviews firing different scenarios at me and getting me to compare and contrast them, and asking how it would change things if such and such was changed.. I spent about a month learning about the stuff on my personal statement and they didn't even MENTION it!!

oh my gosh! I got that question too. Which college had you applied for?
Reply 9
Pembroke. Which were you?
Reply 10
laura13
Pembroke. Which were you?

HAHA. I was interviewed by Pembroke last yr. Were you interviewed by 3 people? Apparently the main admissions guy (forgotten his name) fell asleep in one of the interviews. lol.

--------------

I was asked about Prof. Hart's philosophy and the other 2 asked me various questions on scenarios which they constantly altered. (one had its basis in negligence and the other in criminal).
Reply 11
Has anyone got any advice to help me in an Oxford interview? Any examples of questions that come up for law (or even PPE) interviews would be a great help!

Thanks!
Reply 12
beckynewsome
Has anyone got any advice to help me in an Oxford interview? Any examples of questions that come up for law (or even PPE) interviews would be a great help!

Thanks!

http://oxbridge-admissions.info/profiles/profiles-show.php?w=209

http://oxbridge-admissions.info/profiles/profiles-show.php?w=208

http://oxbridge-admissions.info/profiles/profiles-show.php?w=221

A lot of the profiles talk about entirely passage based questions, making preparation difficult.

Lawyers interviewed at Wadham during the 2005 cycle were asked to create/define laws/terms to do with "what is a lie", "what is a dwelling" ad "is torture ever acceptable". What you really need to learn how to do is think of your feet.
Reply 13
Why do you want to study law? Why in Oxford?
Reply 14
Serch the forum for threads on this topic. there's loads of 'em
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=266810
is a good place to start.
Reply 15
Have you already got the invitation from Oxford to interview? I also applied to law - but as for now - no offers.
I am from Poland - where are u from?
Reply 16
Ulala - You will have to wait a little while for them to let you know if you will be going for interview. They normally start coming around Mid-November.
Reply 17
Oh ok. - so not that long... :wink: I just can't wait ..
I did not get any offers yet - from my last 5 choices and I applied 2nd Oct..
Reply 18
I applied on the 19th of September - so you're not the only one :wink:.
Athena
Lawyers interviewed at Wadham during the 2005 cycle were asked to create/define laws/terms to do with "what is a lie", "what is a dwelling" ad "is torture ever acceptable". What you really need to learn how to do is think of your feet.

Ahh...thats where I went wrong in my interview.

Quick Reply