The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
There are bookstores and endless resources on the internet, The Rosetta Stone, Pimsleur, for dummies/idiots book guides, audio tapes, software, textbooks, the local library, and if you're lucky and live in a multicultural area you might meet native speakers or a regular basis.
:biggrin: Lanaugage students-soon to be one :biggrin:

P.S if you wanan try learning some Japanese don't bother with Japanese for dummies, its all in English based text and you won't be able to read or write a word of "real" Japanese
Reply 42
Kard
There are bookstores and endless resources on the internet, The Rosetta Stone, Pimsleur, for dummies/idiots book guides, audio tapes, software, textbooks, the local library, and if you're lucky and live in a multicultural area you might meet native speakers or a regular basis.

but from an employers point of view...who would they employ - someone who has a degree in the language...or someone who just says they can speak it with no formal qualifications?
Language degrees arent just about being able to speak the language, but gaining wider knowledge of the culture, literature and history...spending a year abroad is a vital part of this and shows independance etc.
Reply 43
If employers want someone with a degree, fair enough, but I think everyone should want to be able to speak at least one other language for the sake of being able to not just to be employed, and as school/governement whoever gets the blame has messed up so badly people should think about other routes.
Reply 44
I agree! But unfortunately there are loads of people out there who aren't interested in learning a language or about other cultures...and loads of people who say it's too hard and don't try.
Reply 45
I agree! But unfortunately there are loads of people out there who aren't interested in learning a language or about other cultures...and loads of people who say it's too hard and don't try.

...and I think people get the impression that it's hard from the school lessons, which are crap for the most part. In other countries even the old tramps are bilingual for crying out loud.
Reply 46
Yep...I went to Prague last year and the metalworker on the street selling his wares spoke to us in English, some other people in Italian and a couple in Spanish. No doubt he could speak German as well. It was so shaming...
Reply 47
Kard
...and I think people get the impression that it's hard from the school lessons, which are crap for the most part. In other countries even the old tramps are bilingual for crying out loud.

exactly..thats what i've found...not particularly bright people in other countries being able to speak many languages..
tis shameful.
i often come up against the most arrogant and annoying argument "why you wanna learn another language? they all speak english"

:mad: so irritating and obnoxious
Fleece
exactly..thats what i've found...not particularly bright people in other countries being able to speak many languages..
tis shameful.
i often come up against the most arrogant and annoying argument "why you wanna learn another language? they all speak english"

:mad: so irritating and obnoxious

I know, I hate that! You even see people who've moved to Spain and still haven't made any effort to learn Spanish because they expect everyone else to speak English to them! It gives us all a bad name.
Reply 49
BarbedRose
Many people don't want to learn a foreign langauges because they think the world speaks English and lives exactly like them. Total ignorance.
Reply 50
kellywood_5
I know, I hate that! You even see people who've moved to Spain and still haven't made any effort to learn Spanish because they expect everyone else to speak English to them! It gives us all a bad name.
Plus they're quick to complain when immigrant comminities in this country fail to integrate and learn the language.
Reply 51
luke88
Plus they're quick to complain when immigrant comminities in this country fail to integrate and learn the language.

aye..i'll complain about that though because i think its only right - if you go to live in a country, you learn to speak their language and respect their culture.
applies for everyone.
Reply 52
Fleece
aye..i'll complain about that though because i think its only right - if you go to live in a country, you learn to speak their language and respect their culture.
applies for everyone.

I'll ditto to that!

Latest

Trending

Trending