The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I was convinced immediately after I sent my application off that I had made a terrible decision and was going to be dismissed out of hand from every medical school.

However, by late December when I was holding two offers I was pretty confident I was going to get all four.
Phalanges
I was convinced immediately after I sent my application off that I had made a terrible decision and was going to be dismissed out of hand from every medical school.

However, by late December when I was holding two offers I was pretty confident I was going to get all four.

Then you massively underestimated yourself or overestimated the competition.
vas876

A combination of both I think. At the time I applied I was very unconfident in my own abilities. I also didn't really know the level of applicant that applied for medicine, and was convinced that the fact that I hadn't wanted to do medicine for all of my life somehow meant that I wasn't as committed as some other people for the course, and that interviewers would see right through this and just turn me down straight away.

It seems strange in retrospect, but I very nearly didn't apply for medicine because I was sure I stood no chance of getting in.
Phalanges
A combination of both I think. At the time I applied I was very unconfident in my own abilities. I also didn't really know the level of applicant that applied for medicine, and was convinced that the fact that I hadn't wanted to do medicine for all of my life somehow meant that I wasn't as committed as some other people for the course, and that interviewers would see right through this and just turn me down straight away.

It seems strange in retrospect, but I very nearly didn't apply for medicine because I was sure I stood no chance of getting in.

Im pretty sure no one has wanted to do medicine all their life. I seriously wanted to become an astronaut in year 9. I was trying to get Work experience at the UK Space Center or with NASA. (LOL :toofunny:)
So yea things change as we grow up, before astronaut it was doctor, before that pilot, before that actor, footballer before that i don't remember.

After many days of researching my competition i decided i would get 4 rejections last year, and i was right. ha
Reply 64
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I never thought I would hear that from you:rolleyes: . Will you be you hopefully be joining me in Aberdeen or is UCL your scene?

Haha, why do you think that? I still really don't know, it's so frustrating. I think I like Aberdeen more but it's so far away. I'm guessing you're slightly erring towards Aberdeen too then, as opposed to Glasgow?
Reply 65
vas876
Im pretty sure no one has wanted to do medicine all their life. I seriously wanted to become an astronaut in year 9. I was trying to get Work experience at the UK Space Center or with NASA. (LOL :toofunny:)
So yea things change as we grow up, before astronaut it was doctor, before that pilot, before that actor, footballer before that i don't remember.

After many days of researching my competition i decided i would get 4 rejections last year, and i was right. ha

I wanted to be a farmer until I was 10/11 :lol:

Then I thought about barrester (sp?!) but I used to call it bannister by mistake..
Reply 66
I always wanted to be a pilot until about Year 10
But I'm slightly short sighted and my parents said I wouldn't be allowed to do it :s-smilie:
That was one dream crushed.. :p:
Mahia
Not me.
My teacher told me not to apply.
Now I have 2 offers.
Her face when I told her was classic.

HAHA! awsome :rolleyes:
Woody.
Haha, why do you think that? I still really don't know, it's so frustrating. I think I like Aberdeen more but it's so far away. I'm guessing you're slightly erring towards Aberdeen too then, as opposed to Glasgow?

Yep, I'm going to cancel Dundee tonight probably, that will leave me free to accept. The interview didn't really go that well, so I know that the only reason i'm getting an offer is because I got the required number of 'points' for my application. I know I shouldn't complain about an offer but Aberdeen felt that they wanted me to go there at the interview.
Reply 69
lekky
I wanted to be a farmer until I was 10/11 :lol:

Then I thought about barrester (sp?!) but I used to call it bannister by mistake..

ahhh, macca. i ave done worse meself. at least your choice of words would 'ave took you up in the world.
Reply 70
elho
I always wanted to be a pilot until about Year 10
But I'm slightly short sighted and my parents said I wouldn't be allowed to do it :s-smilie:
That was one dream crushed.. :p:
ahh,macca, thats sad news.:frown:

but mush better than 'aving your cerebellum crushed, i fink you will agree. :biggrin:
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I know it sounds strange but how many of you lot with offers thought in October that you would actually succeed? I mean were you always confident or has it come as a surprise?

After looking at peninsulas requirements i knew i would definitely get an interview, and once you get an interview its easy to get an offer. I think i was one of the few people who came out of the interview thinking "I should definitely get an offer after that performance" I remember coming back home saying to my bro "If i dont get an offer i will be surprised, the interview was just too easy!"
vas876

Oh yeah, I know that now, and not to mention that idealising a course hardly makes you more deserving of it, but I was in a naïve state of mind. :p:

I wanted to be a spy first of all, and then a detective, and then a journalist. But then I realised that none of these are really careers that you can plan to enter. :sad:
Reply 73
i wanted to be a baker, baking lovely cakes for peeple passng by.

also i wanted to work in a sweetie shop hehehe or achocolate factory.
Reply 74
Knowing the level of competition I viewed this year of applications purely as 'practise'. Practising the UKCAT and maybe being lucky enough to practise one interview.

The plan was to learn from 4 rejections and then get a job for a year or two to fund the degree. Luckily I got nice interviewers and now I have to figure out how to fund it without the job!
Single Malt
This is my third year trying, my offer caught me wholly out of the blue, I was convinced I had failed. I do not think I have ever had to work for something so hard.

You got in at Durham? Congrats!
Reply 76
vas876

its good way to motivate yourself in the short run, especially when you feel short of other reasons.

Long run - it ruins you, and you end up doing fings you never wanted to really do.
AnonymousPenguin
You got in at Durham? Congrats!

thanks, Where are you off to this September?
Reply 78
Single Malt
thanks, Where are you off to this September?

Just wondering, did you by any chance have an interview at Peninsula on the 16th December? Having seen what you've said on here I'm pretty sure it was you, we were the only double gap yearers there! Either way, major congratulations on your offer, must have been a massive relief! Well done!

As for whether I thought I would get in... I got four straight rejections when I was already on a gap year (I applied for Law in Year 13 :o:), so the decision to try again was a pretty difficult one. I guess I knew with grades in hand I had a good chance of getting an interview at Peninsula... but I never thought I'd get into Southampton or get more than one offer, and there were many moments where I was convinced I'd fail again!
Frick!
Just wondering, did you by any chance have an interview at Peninsula on the 16th December? Having seen what you've said on here I'm pretty sure it was you, we were the only double gap yearers there! Either way, major congratulations on your offer, must have been a massive relief! Well done!

As for whether I thought I would get in... I got four straight rejections when I was already on a gap year (I applied for Law in Year 13 :o:), so the decision to try again was a pretty difficult one. I guess I knew with grades in hand I had a good chance of getting an interview at Peninsula... but I never thought I'd get into Southampton or get more than one offer, and there were many moments where I was convinced I'd fail again!

I had a Peninsula interview around that time, so quite possibly. You were not by any chance the girl (sorry to bring up old and bad news possibly) who was meant to be driving down with your boyfriend to Plymouth, but ended up going with your father? Either way, well done on getting some offers. Did PMS give you an offer, if so I assume it is not your first choice?

Latest

Trending

Trending