The Student Room Group
Seems interesting and fun, and I can imagine studying it for 3 years.

I really can't think of anything else that made me want to study psychology over anything else.

Whether I'd like to go and do psychology as a career is a completely different thing though :p:
Reply 2
It's interesting :smile:
Reply 3
I was thinking of studying it but then got put off by the fact you don't really learn anything material, just different opinions that you could think up for yourself. Please don't shout at me.
Reply 4
I was pretty damn good at it in school. Wtf at the post above me. Been reading an AS level textbook or something?
oh wow
I was thinking of studying it but then got put off by the fact you don't really learn anything material, just different opinions that you could think up for yourself. Please don't shout at me.

Hey - not shouting - but I feel I should defend Psychology...
I'm in my final year of a Psychology degree and trust me, you learn material, not options. If by options you mean theories, sure, there are theories, but think about those as hypotheses that go on to be scientifically tested in laboratories like any other science subject (eg. theories of cognition, theories of social learning).
We learn material, if by that you are referring to facts; studying the anatomy of the brain required facts rather than options of what to call stuff!

To thread starter:

Reasons for picking psychology - fascinating subject, one that is overlooked by many as being an 'easy', 'mickey mouse' subject. It has a good mix of disciplines - essay writing, maths, and science.

Reasons you may not want to pick psychology - it is a lot more science based than many imagine - it is a science, just as biology is a science. There is a lot of maths and statistics involved too - experimental modules require you to gather and subsequently analyse your data.

Please don't think that the degree will be a continuation of the same thing as A level. It is very different.

Good luck with your choice! :smile:
Reply 6
Studying psychology at university looks quite interesting, but doing it at A-level really put me off. I still have an interest in the subject and some of it relates to linguistics, children's language acquisition and language disorders. It's not a subject I could commit to for three years though.
Reply 7
I admit that I'm not one of those kind of people who has 'always' wanted to do psychology. I'm just one of those unfortunates who's pretty good at most academic subjects but isn't very good at anything, so no particular subject has ever stood out to me as the obvious choice. I've always loved physics but really wasn't good enough to do it at uni.

I chose psychology at A-level because I figured I'd probably be interested in it and I was correct. I'm also pretty good at it and I like the combination of maths and essay skills needed. There are areas of psychology I'm particularly interested in, especially the biological and stats sides of things, but I'm not going to lie and say, 'oh, I LOVE psychology, it's like my DREAM subject and it's perfect in every way!' It just was the subject that made the most sense to study, and it still is, I hope.

I might be saying something completely different in three years' time, though.
Reply 8
I find the exam board long and boring (OCR) so have no interest in it anymore and I was talking too my mums client who is now studying for a phd as she said she does not have many decent career opportunities as of yet
Don't want to because although I'm good at it and I think it's interesting there's no real "spark" there. I think I could do it for 3 years but then the other factor is, what's at the end? From what I can tell careers options following Psychology are a bit bleak to say the least.
My school doesn't offer it :mad:. But if they did, I think I probably would have picked it. I like reading about psychology in books and the internet, it all seems rather fascinating.
I really enjoy most aspects of psychology and I am lucky i found a course which has cog. psychology modules. With psychology as a degree, it is something which I think I would enjoy for three years however I am not sure how good a psycho degree will help me get a job. But I thoroughly enjoy the subject and am quite good at it :smile:
Reply 12
SereneTurmoil
Hey - not shouting - but I feel I should defend Psychology...
I'm in my final year of a Psychology degree and trust me, you learn material, not options. If by options you mean theories, sure, there are theories, but think about those as hypotheses that go on to be scientifically tested in laboratories like any other science subject (eg. theories of cognition, theories of social learning).
We learn material, if by that you are referring to facts; studying the anatomy of the brain required facts rather than options of what to call stuff!

To thread starter:

Reasons for picking psychology - fascinating subject, one that is overlooked by many as being an 'easy', 'mickey mouse' subject. It has a good mix of disciplines - essay writing, maths, and science.

Reasons you may not want to pick psychology - it is a lot more science based than many imagine - it is a science, just as biology is a science. There is a lot of maths and statistics involved too - experimental modules require you to gather and subsequently analyse your data.

Please don't think that the degree will be a continuation of the same thing as A level. It is very different.

Good luck with your choice! :smile:

Thanks, but I'm a curious third year psychology student, as opposed to an A' Level student.
I want to do psychology because I really enjoy it, want to learn about the subject at a higher level than A-level. Also because I'm not ready to go from school to work, I'd like to go to uni for the ''university experience'' as well while I can and I'd feel like I'd be missing out if I didn't.

It was a toss up between psych and geography really.
Reply 14
It will hopefully be an interesting subject when I start in September but I wouldn't want to study it alone for three years.
Reply 15
Pyschology is the type of course where if you're not prepared to study further, don't even think about being able to get a job in a related field. A professional/managerial job, yes, but pyschology is one of those degrees where it's really the first stepping stone to more qualifications.

I'm doing a joint degree, speech pathology/pyschology. I wanted to do it because I wanted to be a pyschotherapist in the long-term future. You can only study for this if you've got a relevant degree. Speech therapy would qualify though I've always found pyschology interesting, I was always just never confident enough at maths to think I could do it. :smile:

Once you've graduated from speech pathology, you instantly qualify to be a speech therapist. I want to build up enough money from working as a speech therapist to be able to fund further studies in pyschotherapy. I don't think this'll happen till my 30s or 40s, which, by then, I'll have enough life experience to be able the help people the best I can.

By the time I'm fifty I want to be either able to work freelance as a pyschotherapist/speech therapist or to have my own practice with both, employing speech/psychotherapists as well as taking on work experience people regularly, since I know it's quite hard to get decent work experience in both areas.
Reply 16
oh wow

Theories based upon research, mostly of the scientific and quantifiable nature, are not opinion that you can just think up for yourself. If you think all that's in psychology is pop psychology and 'opinions' then I don't think you have a great idea of what it actually is.
llacerta
I admit that I'm not one of those kind of people who has 'always' wanted to do psychology. I'm just one of those unfortunates who's pretty good at most academic subjects but isn't very good at anything, so no particular subject has ever stood out to me as the obvious choice. I've always loved physics but really wasn't good enough to do it at uni.

I chose psychology at A-level because I figured I'd probably be interested in it and I was correct. I'm also pretty good at it and I like the combination of maths and essay skills needed. There are areas of psychology I'm particularly interested in, especially the biological and stats sides of things, but I'm not going to lie and say, 'oh, I LOVE psychology, it's like my DREAM subject and it's perfect in every way!' It just was the subject that made the most sense to study, and it still is, I hope.

I might be saying something completely different in three years' time, though.

This pretty much sums me up (especially the parts in bold), except exchange physics for biology and the fact that I can't see myself doing biomed at uni.

Latest