The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

cystisis

ive got it yet again! any other cures for it anyone think of apart from cranberry juice (yuck!) and bicarb of soda (tastes worse!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When my friend got it she had to go on anti-biotics.
Reply 2
If its proper cystitus antibiotics. If you feel like you are about to get it . one a day cranberry tablets and drinking plenty of water works for me.
Reply 3
Antibiotics is the only way. Just book an appointment with your doctor ASAP. I agree with Viviki, if it's just coming on then you can deal with it with with the cranberry drinks etc, but if you have full blown cystisis then it's best to go to the doc now, then you won't be so uncomfortable. xx
Reply 4
For mild cystitis take painkillers for the discomfort and drink lots of water to flush it through if you hate Cranberry Juice that much. Or lemon/orange juice - it's supposed to be the acidity that helps. You could try sodium or potassium citrate, which you should be able to get over the counter at your local pharmacy

If it's more severe, a short course of antibiotics, and may be a bacterial culture, is the best way to go, so pop and see your GP.
Reply 5
but i cant go till tomorrow! :frown:
Reply 6
Go where? GP or pharmacy?
Reply 7
Cranberry juice.
Reply 8
GP. ive had it twice befoer and never went to my GP :confused:
Reply 9
erk
Cranberry juice.

ha. ha. ha. :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Do you know where you got it from? You should try and avoid whatever brought it on in future. It could have been cold ("sitting on a cold stone"), or quite common "honeymoon cystitis" which (usually) comes from (frequent) intercourse (once can do it as well though). Sorry to be so intimate but going to the loo more or less straight after sex can help a lot there even if it isn't romantic, but neither is a cystitis. Try to think about what brought it on the last times.
Help: drink loads (3-5 litres), herbal teas can help, beer (moderate!) flushes as well (check with any medicine you are taking), but usually 3 days of the antibiotic "Cotrimoxazol" will help. If the bacteria are not killed off by that antibiotic you will have to try another one.
If you can't get to the GP now you will probably have to suffer this night. Don't be stressed out if blood comes, that can happen and is not dangerous. Take some urine to the doctor's (first pee in the morning), so he can check.
Reply 11
i dont like cranberrys but i have cranberry juice with apple or raspberry and it makes it taste alot better. I get it around this time of the year, and i think i got a bout coming on, keep waking up with pressure and belly ache. Which goes as soon as i visit the little girls room.
Reply 12
Leisure17
Do you know where you got it from? You should try and avoid whatever brought it on in future. It could have been cold ("sitting on a cold stone"), or quite common "honeymoon cystitis" which (usually) comes from (frequent) intercourse (once can do it as well though). Sorry to be so intimate but going to the loo more or less straight after sex can help a lot there even if it isn't romantic, but neither is a cystitis. Try to think about what brought it on the last times.
Help: drink loads (3-5 litres), herbal teas can help, beer (moderate!) flushes as well (check with any medicine you are taking), but usually 3 days of the antibiotic "Cotrimoxazol" will help. If the bacteria are not killed off by that antibiotic you will have to try another one.
If you can't get to the GP now you will probably have to suffer this night. Don't be stressed out if blood comes, that can happen and is not dangerous. Take some urine to the doctor's (first pee in the morning), so he can check.

im feeling better now ive had some bicarb and a lot of water. i havent had sex for a few days and 8ive been inside mostly all day! ah well one of lifes mysteries
I don't like cystitis. It told my gf's mum I deflowered her.
Reply 14
Maybe you don't drink enough normally and then your kidneys and bladder don't get flushed as well as they ought to.
Honeymoon cystitis does not come on instantly it takes a few days for the bacteria to build up to the amount where the cause problems - so that could maybe be it (+drinking too little)
But whatever brought it on, I do hope you manage to get some sleep tonight.

You should have it checked though, because sometimes anatomical "malformations" can cause recurring cystitis (nothing dangerous) or the bacteria could "climb up" to your kidneys and damage them. So you do want to be sure you are rid of them.
The GP should do a sonography to look at your kidney just in case.
Reply 15
flipping heck!
Reply 16
Don't panic!
Reply 17
Wear cotton undies and have a shower and try and use alternating hot/cold water on the...area..:smile:...it helps soothe the burning sensation. Also try using some tea tree oil in water and bathing in it because it's antiseptic.

If you hate cranberry (yummy!) have the tablets or try neat lemon barley squash (rank but very effective..even if it stings like hell to pee for a couple of hours after).

I have recurrent cystitis and have only used antibiotics for it twice as I'm determined to beat it naturally...when it got too bad though (lasted more than 3days) I went to the doc.
Reply 18
well it seems to have gone now which was werid it only lasted 4 hours lol
Reply 19
trigger
flipping heck!

Are you restless?

Latest

Trending

Trending