The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
JordanCarroll
I daresay it sounds like you, applying for economics :p:

sorry i have a such a stereotype of anyone going for economics etc is just in it for the money.

i'm not lying to myself about it :p:

i'm doing economics for **** loads of money of course! im sure a lot of others are aswell! i want to go into IB etc.
the fact i enjoy economics also helps but if i wasnt going to be on big bucks afterwards i wouldn't do 3 years of it! i don't like it that much :p:
Reply 41
http://careers.bmj.com/careers/static/advice-salary-scales.html

doesnt seem much. Can earn more as a dentist.
Reply 42
I think for me the most appealing aspect of being a doctor(GP) financially is the mixture of high a salary and the flexibility to choose your own working hours, I mean a locum GP is in huge demand you can find work for £100/hour if your willing to travel granted its temp work but its flexible.

The fact that I will be helping people is a huge bonus but the work is interesting and varied.

I doubt most doctor's would have chosen to field if it paid less than 30-40k a year. (Training years excluded)
As long as this consultant is doing their job properly then I'd be fine with it.
Reply 44
terpineol
At the end of the day who cares why you do it provided you tell admissions its for 'the right reasons'.

Rubbish. Of course it matters. I do not want my doctor to have got into his job through lying. I only hope it is a vanishing minority of people that do it solely for the monetary value as there are plenty of better ways to get money in an easier way than through medicine. I really do not want to get into another huge debate about this as I did have one on a similar thread before. But personally I really despise the idea of entering medicine solely for the money and I do not think it is a valid reason to enter it.
Woody.
Rubbish. Of course it matters. I do not want my doctor to have got into his job through lying. I only hope it is a vanishing minority of people that do it solely for the monetary value as there are plenty of better ways to get money in an easier way than through medicine. I really do not want to get into another huge debate about this as I did have one on a similar thread before. But personally I really despise the idea of entering medicine solely for the money and I do not think it is a valid reason to enter it.

I have to say that I agree with you. If doctors do not care about what they do, if they only do it for the money then the quality of patient care will suffer. Plus the fact that if you don't have some drive then you will find the course and training even harder than most.

And you won by the way. The huge debate was worth it.
Reply 46
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I have to say that I agree with you. If doctors do not care about what they do, if they only do it for the money then the quality of patient care will suffer. Plus the fact that if you don't have some drive then you will find the course and training even harder than most.

Thank you, and you're absolutely right. As mentioned by someone earlier on - how the patient is treated as a person is fantastically important. It's so vital that doctors care about their patients on a personal level, I'm sure it would do plenty for their emotional welfare too. Doctors that are in it for the money and wish to have the patient done and dusted with will not show this compassion which I believe is so vitally important.

Also - to all of you who are saying anyone who says they go into medicine for altruistic reasons are liars, I think you're completely wrong yourselves. I have met many people who are doing medicine for that reason. Sometimes people do just have a desire to help people and try and alleviate their suffering and generally make things better for them, we're not all fixated on money and selfishness.
Reply 47
Lucky for that consultant. I'm amazed he got through med school with that attitude. I'd have thought most of the money grabbers would have dropped out by the point where they could become a consultant. I'm also amazed he got INTO med school with that attitude. He must have been a very good liar. Also, maybe he should have picked an easier job if he was after money.
TooSexyForMyStethoscope

aww. somebody has changed their ways! :smile: (so glad that we won, *high fives Woody*)
terpineol

-very rarely due to a massive drive to help people.

I genuinely want to do it to feel like I am positively helping out people , and in general am a very caring person.
I've come to realise though, a lot of medical students are not very nice, and no wonder people think doctors aren't very sympathetic.
blonde-beth
aww. somebody has changed their ways! :smile: (so glad that we won, *high fives Woody*)

Well you were right, there wasn't much I could do. My argument seemed to be that I am an evil sod, therefore your wrong. I have had time to reflect and have seen sense.
Woody.
Thank you, and you're absolutely right. As mentioned by someone earlier on - how the patient is treated as a person is fantastically important. It's so vital that doctors care about their patients on a personal level, I'm sure it would do plenty for their emotional welfare too. Doctors that are in it for the money and wish to have the patient done and dusted with will not show this compassion which I believe is so vitally important.

Also - to all of you who are saying anyone who says they go into medicine for altruistic reasons are liars, I think you're completely wrong yourselves. I have met many people who are doing medicine for that reason. Sometimes people do just have a desire to help people and try and alleviate their suffering and generally make things better for them, we're not all fixated on money and selfishness.

very true. hasnt got me into med school though aha.

(I swooped in as your personal calmer, but it looks all good to me :smile: accept that some people are in it for different reasons to you, and be thankful they are in the minority!)
Captshiznit
I guess, for me personally why i've decided to do medicine.

It was a glimmer in my mind at childhood which has only been rekindled now as i got maturer and looked for solid direction in life. I didn't have this direction till recently but its become stronger than ever, I want to do med cause I know i'll love it also because its a good profession and i'll enjoy working in it, and money is a bonus, anyone who says they are not doing it for money/security in any form is a bit of a liar because as we know it does pay well. But hell enjoying it too and being paid well is veeery good. So no problems.

Call me a liar then.

I honestly want to go into medicine for both the altruistic side and the rigorous scientific approach. As long as im earning enough money so that I don't starve, I couldn't care less if it was £10k or 10 million.

And no, im not pretending im squeaky clean, but that's just how I see the end result. Money has just never been a huge concern for me. I know there are lots of others with the same view.
Reply 53
There are people in my year with similar views to that. Me? Not so much.

Woody.

I'd rather have a good doctor who lied to get in because their reason was 'undesirable' from an admissions point of view than a crap one who told the truth and had very good reasons. I know it doesn't really pan out like this, but what I'm trying to say is: providing my doctor's good, I don't give a flying **** why he/she went to medical school.
Reply 54
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Well you were right, there wasn't much I could do. My argument seemed to be that I am an evil sod, therefore your wrong. I have had time to reflect and have seen sense.

Props to you, it takes a lot of integrity to do that, which I would say is a great characteristic of a doctor. Good luck to you, and maybe see you in Aberdeen, which I think I am erring towards at the moment!
Reply 55
TwilightKnight
Call me a liar then.

I honestly want to go into medicine for both the altruistic side and the rigorous scientific approach. As long as im earning enough money so that I don't starve, I couldn't care less if it was £10k or 10 million.

And no, im not pretending im squeaky clean, but that's just how I see the end result. Money has just never been a huge concern for me. I know there are lots of others with the same view.

I am glad you exist (:

blonde-beth
very true. hasnt got me into med school though aha.

(I swooped in as your personal calmer, but it looks all good to me :smile: accept that some people are in it for different reasons to you, and be thankful they are in the minority!)

Thank you (: I really hope that they are, I really do, and that it's just the small minority that get blasted out of proportion.

Kinkerz
There are people in my year with similar views to that. Me? Not so much.

I'd rather have a good doctor who lied to get in because their reason was 'undesirable' from an admissions point of view than a crap one who told the truth and had very good reasons. I know it doesn't really pan out like this, but what I'm trying to say is: providing my doctor's good, I don't give a flying **** why he/she went to medical school.

Surely the core principles of a good doctor are those that have a deep and meaningful care for the patient? Look on the second page, a person talks about a doctor who did it for the money and how awful she was.
TwilightKnight
Call me a liar then.

this.

I know it seems bonkers to alot of you, but being super rich dosnt really appeal to me aswell. what does appeal to me, however, is having a job which i really care about, which involves improving peoples well-being and involves acedemic subject matter which i have a genuine interest for. Obviously there is more to life than your career (and i do have alot of other intersts and purposes etc), but i do want my career to mean something to me, and use my abilities in the best way possible.

i dont understand those who say they are in it solely for the money - why on earth are you choosing a career than involves tons of work and stress, and years of training? there are so many more easier routes to make a hell of a lot more money!
Reply 57
Woody.
Surely the core principles of a good doctor are those that have a deep and meaningful care for the patient? Look on the second page, a person talks about a doctor who did it for the money and how awful she was.

That's one example...

Take most consultants over the age of 55. How many of them do you think went into medicine for 'good' reasons? Honestly, I think very few. Many in that generation went into medicine because their dads were doctors etc. Is that a 'good' reason? Are they crap doctors? You can't say all people going into medicine for the 'wrong' reasons will be crap. Just as you can't say all those going into it for the 'right' reasons will be good. I'll reiterate: I don't care whether my doctor lied about their reasons in order to get in providing they are decent.

I'll give an example of two people in my year... in my PBL group as a matter of fact. One's here more for the money and the other has reasons more inclined to your own. They'll both make decent doctors based on what I've seen, despite their reasons.
tig ol bitties
this sounds familiar, those whom got 4 rejections had this view- and it was portrayed in their personal statement.
Those who... :wink:

http://web.ku.edu/~edit/whom.html
Reply 59
Kinkerz
That's one example...

Take most consultants over the age of 55. How many of them do you think went into medicine for 'good' reasons? Honestly, I think very few.
Fine, if you want to think that please do. I think there would need to be some sort of survey in order to find out properly

Many in that generation went into medicine because their dads were doctors etc. Is that a 'good' reason? Are they crap doctors?

Evidence for this? That may have been one reason, among many.

You can't say all people going into medicine for the 'wrong' reasons will be crap. Just as you can't say all those going into it for the 'right' reasons will be good. I'll reiterate: I don't care whether my doctor lied about their reasons in order to get in providing they are decent.

I understand your point, but as I already stated, being caring towards a patient makes a huge difference and going the extra mile for your patient because you wished to help people by becoming a doctor is going to offer better patient care which is key in deciding how 'good' a doctor is.

Latest

Trending

Trending