The Student Room Group

Final year research ideas

Hi you lot

I don't even know if I'll pass this year never mind make it on to the next, but soon I have to put forward a research proposal as part of this semester's Research Methods 4 module, and it will be marked, so regardless I now *have* to pick my research project area.

I am studying Psychology with Criminology and have a particular interest in women as violent offenders. However, not going to get past an ethics board with anything on that subject unless I pick a media review format, which is not likely to look good apparently.

Can anyone provide me with some inspiration? I have other psychology ideas but none tie in with Criminology (weight loss, spirituality) and nearly everyone doing their final year this year is doing something along the lines of jury bias and eyewitness testimony (eg offering students crime cases to review, one with photo of black victim, other white). I suppose I could bring gender into that but I was hoping for a good and meaty qualitative project if at all possible. I don't want to just focus on passing, I want it to be relevant to future work, and I want to work with female violent offenders if possible. Other gender-related areas considered too.

All ideas much appreciated!

Kathy
Reply 1
My first thought was to study something about female offenders motives compared to male offenders motives or just to compare the motives between female offenders.

Hopefully your research project goes well. :smile:
Reply 2
KathyM
Hi you lot

All ideas much appreciated!

Kathy

Hi,

I'm neither a psych pro nor a crim expert, but, how about

"The use of psychological issues as part of the court defence of female violent offenders"

- How often do defending solicitors revert to 'psyhological' factors as part of the defence case for women charged with violent offences
* How does this equate to similar defences for males charged with violent offences

The benefit of this is that you could attend court proceedings first hand and report on the proceedings as a primary resource.

Apologies if the idea is crap.

Latest