The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

Any ideas... what i can do with my car!?

Hi I have been accepted onto the health science certificate onto Notts vet sci, Studying at Riseholm campus but living at Lincoln halls, I need to take my car with me but I have been advised Lincoln uni has no parking and Riseholme only let resi's at their campus park there! So please any present students with cars got some advice on parking? I am not going to be using my car daily as will use uni transport between campuses, but i will need my car at the weekends to commute home, I cant afford the train!!!
Thanks
xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sidestreet, really annoys the residents of those streets but so many students do it. Pick any road on the south side of the high street, bit of a trek from halls but it's the only free place to park in Lincoln.
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 2
my boyfriend had this problem a few week ago. he brought his car to lincoln for the first time so he could drive to/from his work placement, it ended in a £30 parking ticket and £75 clamping fine :/ we spent ages looking around for free sidestreets, many of them are residential parking only and you need to display a permit in your window. We FINALLY found a little street but it's touch and go as to whether there's anywhere to park on there. My advice would be to leave the car at home.
Reply 3
West end is all permits, there's nowhere near courts, avoid any roads near pavilions/morrisons as it's lined/clamping town. The only place to park is off a sidestreet down the south end of high street. Some areas you will be competing with other students, especially sunday nights when people return to uni. I allow 10-15mins to get to my car from the pavilions.
Reply 4
Oh god! thank you all for your advice i think i am going to have to leave it at home but i really do need it so its a bit stressful, with the side streets is there anything to stop you leaving it there for long periods of time, its not like return with in the hr or anything?
xx
Reply 5
If you are lucky enough to find a side street that isn't miles out of the way then usually it's unlimited parking. But it's pretty hard to come by. Plus all the available spaces on these elusive streets are usually taken up by the people who live there. Most parking that is close to the university is for permit holders only or return within the hour.
Reply 6
Parking wise...Sycil bank end is where all the free parking is...although it is a tad dicey. I'm guessing your staying in Courts next year. You don't need to worry really about getting to and from Riseholme, as there is a free shuttle bus between Lincoln Brayford Campus and Riseholme that runs every hour form like 7am-6pm
Reply 7
noggin667
You don't need to worry really about getting to and from Riseholme, as there is a free shuttle bus between Lincoln Brayford Campus and Riseholme that runs every hour form like 7am-6pm

This is misleading.
There are 6 buses a day, I often have to get a bus 2 hours before a lecture starts at Riseholme. The first bus is at 8.20am (often gets full so I get there at 8.05), and the last at 5.15pm (again, often gets full of college kids).
Very annoying
Reply 8
There is.... nowhere... to park in Lincoln... unless you want a clamping or a fining it seems!
Reply 9
Oh dear this doesnt sound too positive! but thank you all for your comments :smile: xx
Reply 10
If your studying up at Riseholme and want your car with you it would just be easier to live up at Riseholme as there is free car parking. However down in town your best option is just going to be to find a quiet sidestreet and hope there's room.
Reply 11
pirate007
If your studying up at Riseholme and want your car with you it would just be easier to live up at Riseholme as there is free car parking. However down in town your best option is just going to be to find a quiet sidestreet and hope there's room.

they only problem with this is if you go home one weekend then drive back, you're not guaranteed to be able to park anywhere. Hoping there's going to be a free spot is a great risk imo.
Reply 12
pirate007

I agree it would be easier to stay at Riseholme, but the idea of living at a college did not appeal to me a great deal as i would prefer to be living with older students rather than school leavers? and from what i have heard it is all school leavers/college age at riseholme?
xx
Reply 13
Gnatalie
they only problem with this is if you go home one weekend then drive back, you're not guaranteed to be able to park anywhere. Hoping there's going to be a free spot is a great risk imo.

does sound really risky, am getting reallystressed about this situation! Grrr it seems strange to me that you cant park at riseholme if you study there and live at lincoln if you pay them!?
Reply 14
I have got a house with a few mates for my first year and they is parking with a permit available. Just dont know whether safe to bring it or not as dont want it keyed etc... as it is a colour that cannot be matched and is quite distinctive. Are back streets of lincoln fairly safe?
Tori687
I agree it would be easier to stay at Riseholme, but the idea of living at a college did not appeal to me a great deal as i would prefer to be living with older students rather than school leavers? and from what i have heard it is all school leavers/college age at riseholme?
xx

hi
riseholme's not like that. if you get in hals then you will be with other first years, there are halls for college students as well but not next to yours. and from what ive seen its a great place as eveyones together and they get on great with each other. there are college students there but they dont say anything, you will be with your coursemates. i think you should have a look at it. isnt there an appicant open day coming or has it gone?
Reply 16
Tori687
xx

There are college people living on Riseholme but there halls are separate so you only really have to intergrate with them if you want to. There are to separate college halls though - one for under 18 and one for over 18 so the uni students only really tend to talk to the college students in the over 18 halls as they are closer in age. However as the uni halls are separate you are living with your coursemates and the college halls being on site really isn't an issue, certainly this year there was a mixture on ages in the uni halls anyway with obvious 18/19 year olds but also some second year students and some older first years so its a good mixture. I think if you really want ur car at uni looking at Riseholme is going to be ur best option.
Reply 17
oh excellent that sounds good to me is it all shared bathroom accomodation or are the uni halls ensuite? and can you be self catered? thnak you all :smile: xx
Reply 18
pirate007
There are college people living on Riseholme but there halls are separate so you only really have to intergrate with them if you want to.

I disagree with this. As a student who chose to live in Courts and study at Riseholme, I find the college students very annoying. From messing around in the cafeteria, to loudly talking about so-and-so's bedroom exploits last night in the library, to having to dodge them wrestling on the grass is enough for me to not like having lectures there - let alone living there.

To answer your question OP, all the halls are catered for, don't have internet in the halls I don't think (at least that's what it says on the website), and are all shared bathrooms.
Reply 19
Aqualung
I disagree with this. As a student who chose to live in Courts and study at Riseholme, I find the college students very annoying. From messing around in the cafeteria, to loudly talking about so-and-so's bedroom exploits last night in the library, to having to dodge them wrestling on the grass is enough for me to not like having lectures there - let alone living there.

To answer your question OP, all the halls are catered for, don't have internet in the halls I don't think (at least that's what it says on the website), and are all shared bathrooms.

Ah now this doesnt sound to good to me, think i will be sticking to courts or private, I lived at a college previously as a maturer students and it was a bit like the above, so i think i will avoid it, and without sounding too snoby i really want my own bathroom :rolleyes: (just like to shower and things when i want and not have to wait lol ) Thank you for your honest response :smile: xx

Latest