The Student Room Group

boaty boaty boaty

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
They won't need mercy, just good erg scores and land training....:wink:
Reply 81
H&E
Magdalen tried to qualify for HRR, but failed, probably in no small part due to the absence of their strokeman/talisman/double Isis/double Blue/U23 international.

Henley? we just entered a 4 AFAIK?
& i think it was made up of 1 of our 1st boat (men's captain who just finished finals) & at least 2 of our 2nd (including boat club captain) - can't remember who the 4th was - whoops. so they were actually quite thrilled with their time (one of the fastest non qualifiers?) rather than seeing it as a failure! :p:

but if the multiple '/s' are all referring to the one person - they were missing more than merely him from the first boat. & i think the other 7 do contribute something to the movement of the boat from time to time (say, in Torpids?), or maybe they do just look pretty, some more successfully than others! :love:

out of interest don't think he was the only U-something-or-other-international in it (do you know either of the Aussies..? obviously they didn't do the schoolboy thing in this country but are trialling this year, i think)

back on topic - hopefully they're going to put together a competitive Henley 4 next year. but i think we do a few regattas each year - Cambridge Winter Head & Bedford are the ones that spring to my mind. & M1 came back with two pots from Bedford & W1 won the novices there i think, but were thwarted by Magdalene in another! :smile:
Reply 82
Well, you are obviously massively better informed than I am about MCBC.

and no, I didn't know you had Aussie internationals in your boat. Didn't one of them race at ChCh?!

nb wasn't meaning to denigrate the remainign MCBC rowers. It's just he is bloody good! And obviously was in a key position. Plus probably had more experience of HRR racing than most college crews do put together.
Reply 83
H&E
Well, you are obviously massively better informed than I am about MCBC.

ooh, quite a complement from a semi-professional oxford sports observer.. yet perhaps quite tragic reflection of me - mental note: will find an all consuming sporting passion of my own so i can shout over him when he starts talking boatie to me.. :rolleyes:

and no, I didn't know you had Aussie internationals in your boat. Didn't one of them race at ChCh?!

we're not naughty like keble! the ChCh Aussie wasn't an international rower but an international something else (that may have had something to do with his cardiovascular stamina!) the rowing international Aussie (they're taking over college, evidently!) was a secret weapon grad student (who rowed at a junior level a few years back i think) who decided to give college rowing a go in Trinity (scared the hell out of the rest of our first boat contenders in the first erg of term!) & enjoyed it! :p:

nb wasn't meaning to denigrate the remainign MCBC rowers. It's just he is bloody good! And obviously was in a key position. Plus probably had more experience of HRR racing than most college crews do put together.

certainly agree with you there. & a nice guy too, good fun at the post celebrations. he was only stroke this 8s though, not in the headship crew, so think it was a bit of a change for him, although a decent way to end your oxford rowing career i imagine. :smile:

Henley's about racing..? must watch some next time i go..ahem.
Reply 84
hey im sooo excited bout rowing at cambridge. been rowing at my club for two years. i was old 18 so rowed novice 4+, 8, 4x+, 2x and 1x this year. raced 1x at irish champs! if u have rowed before do u get put in a boat with other ppl who have? how many training sessions per week?
Reply 85
mootle
hey im sooo excited bout rowing at cambridge. been rowing at my club for two years. i was old 18 so rowed novice 4+, 8, 4x+, 2x and 1x this year. raced 1x at irish champs! if u have rowed before do u get put in a boat with other ppl who have? how many training sessions per week?

You'll probably be able to go straight into the senior squad, might well be able to get into a crew for Uni IVs/Fairbairns depending on your college. If sculling's your thing, they might be quite keen for you to keep that up too...
Reply 86
im lightweight so ill prob try for that or at least i hope i will! college-gonville and caius!
Reply 87
mootle
im lightweight so ill prob try for that or at least i hope i will! college-gonville and caius!

what is it with boaties and that damn college!?
Willa
what is it with boaties and that damn college!?

Caius interview day:

The selection process will consist of zero or one subject based interview, a personal interview and an erg test. During the subject based interview you may be asked to discuss your rowing carreer to date, as well as your abilities to fit your education around your busy rowing schedule. The personal interview will immediately follow your erg test, where you will discuss your result and also details of your oppinions on performance enhancing drugs (actively encouraged) and non rowing related activities (actively discouraged). Offers will be made based on 2 E grades at A2 level to applicants who achieve a split time of under 1:30 over 2000m.
Reply 89
lol actually im studyin vet med and at interview i got a lecture on time management and how i would fail unless i gave it up!! was quite frightened!
Reply 90
There was only one Tab who was sub six this year...I don't think he went to Caius. (Can't remember who it was).

Mootle: If you're an experienced lightweight you should definitely try out for the squad, you'll be in a very strong position to make at least the second boat and probably the Blue boat (there are people in there most years who only start rowing at Cambridge). Though you'll have a lot of work - Oxford won this year by 3 lengths in the Blue Boat race and 6 lengths in the reserves!
Reply 91
H&E
There was only one Tab who was sub six this year...I don't think he went to Caius. (Can't remember who it was).

Mootle: If you're an experienced lightweight you should definitely try out for the squad, you'll be in a very strong position to make at least the second boat and probably the Blue boat (there are people in there most years who only start rowing at Cambridge). Though you'll have a lot of work - Oxford won this year by 3 lengths in the Blue Boat race and 6 lengths in the reserves!

unless mootle is a girl, in which case we won! :biggrin:
Reply 92
flip do u think i should train much before term starts? ive had a month off or so (irish champs were 16/17th july) and am back to official club training nights -3 times a week but dunno if i should go back to normal training for the next month.
oh and im female by the way-in case it wasnt obvious
Reply 93
mootle
flip do u think i should train much before term starts? ive had a month off or so (irish champs were 16/17th july) and am back to official club training nights -3 times a week but dunno if i should go back to normal training for the next month.
oh and im female by the way-in case it wasnt obvious

If you are interested in rowing for the University in your first year you will need to contact CUWBC before going up, as trialling starts in September.

Caius women are chasing Clare women in Lents so unless you're off doing Blues stuff by then I might have to declare you my mortal enemy.
Reply 94
could i not just go in oct and start rowing then? could i still row for the uni later in the yr?
Reply 95
mootle
could i not just go in oct and start rowing then? could i still row for the uni later in the yr?

highly highly unlikely. As helen said, trialling begins in september, and so you have to be with them training at that time. You are very very very unlikely to be accepted on to training any time after that. You would probably have to be the best rower in the world for them to make an exception!
Reply 96
mootle

I suppose it's possible if you've got experience behind you and you're fit that you would be able to join in the trialling programme once you've arrived, as H&E says, but worth checking with CUWBC first. It'd be virtually impossible to join after the end of Mich term as by then they are in crews and are training for the Blues races.
Reply 97
yeah would college training prepare me for trialing the next year?
Reply 98
mootle
yeah would college training prepare me for trialing the next year?

If you end up in one of the top Caius boats then yes, definitely. It's the route most women rowers take.

Latest

Trending

Trending