The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm finding it easier this way round probably because of depression. It just gives my mind something to think about rather than nothingness. But i am a little bit too wary of other road users, and don't take criticism very well.
Reply 21
Antimatter
Oooooh, oooh, check out MoodGym online, it's like free CBT, and really works :smile:

Oooh, that looks interesting. Signing up now. Thanks! :smile:

OP, I'd see a doctor first if you're concerned about how you're feeling. I find things more difficult when depressed, and it might be nice to just hear some advice and information about what you could expect from a professional. They're not going to think bad of you for having depression, nor are they going to tell anyone else or force you to take meds you don't want. Good luck with the driving and everything. :smile:
I have depression and im on fluoxetine for it. this was diagnosed half way through my lessons.
i came back after a few weeks off (because of the snow) and my driving instructor commented on how the break seemed to do me good etc, he felt i had hit a brick wall - which is exactly how the depression made me feel altogether.
and i passed my test on friday =] =] 2nd time
and my doctors say i still have to be on my tablets for the forseeable future at the moment.
i did it. you can =]
Never been diagnosed with depresion
BUT
I found learning to drive difficult because of a lack of concentration, forgetfulness, tiredness and a kind of irrational fear of the other drivers.
Ive stopped for 3 months but im gonna start to learn again, its only really the lack of motivation that stops yo, im just thinking of the positives, dunno how to up ma confidence though or how to help you tbh
Reply 24
Anonymous
I'm female

There's your problem.
I wouldn't say so.

I have bi-polar disorder and I learnt to drive; I was also having a petit mal seizure every ten minutes. I never passed my test, as I voluntarily gave up my license due to the epilepsy, but it's definitely possible.
Reply 26
elixira
I know exactly how you feel, don't worry. I used to place all of my faith in doctors and pills and stuff to make me happy, then when it didn't work as well as I'd hoped I felt... hopeless, so I realised I had to start making my own solutions. I'm much happier now :smile:

Perhaps devote your summer to learning how to drive and really put your heart and soul into it, imagine how you'll feel when you do pass!

Yeah, I was thinking of just leaving it till the summer, may be easier then. TO be honest, I wish I had just got it completed last summer, it would be all done now :facepalm2:. Oh well, never mind, that's the past now. I'll at least get some of my school work out of the way, see how I feel then. I'm not in a total rush to drive, but it is a useful skill and I really want to be able to do it. Thanks again :smile:
Reply 27
bigbosss
hey if your feeling depressed, then ask your self why you feel this way? Talk to someone you can rely on like a good friend, and just get your mind of it. oh why dont you make a list of the stuff you need to do, and consider them as your targets or goals. Whenever you think of a negative thing make it positive!

I'm depressed due to a number of things, it's a little complicated, mainly things like being bullied at school in the past, relationship issues, and failing at A Levels. You know what, I did think of the list idea, thanks for that, I'm gonna do it :smile:
Reply 28
mahaneap
There's your problem.

Not really, a couple of my female friends managed to pass within a few months of starting lessons. It's down to the individual person really.
Reply 29
Apart from a couple of silly sexist jokes, thanks to those of you who gave me useful replies, that's really nice of you :smile:
Reply 30
I suffered with both depression and anxiety when I was learning to drive, I also has depersonalization which isn't very nice. But, I managed to pass first time, so don't think it necessarily affects your driving ability! :biggrin:

Plus, I found that when I was concentrating on the road my symptoms subsided quote considerably.
Reply 31
I suffer from depression which fluctuates from mild to severe...

I learnt to drive and passed my test first time. It took me about 40 hours, which yeah is more than most but I think may just be down to me not being a good driver and I lacked alot of confidence.

The only times my depression ever effected me was when I first started driving if I did anything wrong I got upset easily and yeah I had lack of confidence in my ability. However now I have passed and got my own car; it helps me alot when Im feeling down as I can just go drive to either see a friend or go and get some space, and think about stuff.
Reply 32
When depression is bad enough it impedes your ability to do most things so I don't see why learning to drive should be any different. I know that sounds ridiculously fatalistic, but my that what I mean it you should get your depression sorted (go to your GP) that way you'll kill to bird with one stone (ultimately at least maybe not immediately however)- you'll be free from depression and you'll be learning to drive (successfully hopefully)

Good Luck.x
Reply 33
elldee
When depression is bad enough it impedes your ability to do most things so I don't see why learning to drive should be any different. I know that sounds ridiculously fatalistic, but my that what I mean it you should get your depression sorted (go to your GP) that way you'll kill to bird with one stone (ultimately at least maybe not immediately however)- you'll be free from depression and you'll be learning to drive (successfully hopefully)

Good Luck.x

Yeah, you're right. I have been to the GP a couple of times, all they have given me is a referral to some counselling which I am still waiting for after two months :mad: . I will probably go back soon and ask for some antidepressants to help me in the meantime.