The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think its pretty easy am selfteaching chemistry and physics and am doing them in one year, for chem got a 97%, for phy my favourite got only 84%, you have to spend a bit of time on them, thats all!!
what subs are you planning to self teach?
Just like me. I chose maths, physics and biology, even though I dont care about either of them. But then again, I dont care about much. I chose them so that I could compete with the smartest people at my old school. Even though we dont all go to the same college.
Reply 22
waterinabottle
It is the best form of teaching there is. You have the choice to take it at your own pace (sticking within deadlines, of course) and you gain a new perspective on the subject.

It is quite difficult to stick to revising schedules, and keeping your head down and concentrating. If you acknowledge and keep your goal in mind, then you will be motivated to succeed.

I just wish I'd realised this before I started my A-levels in college..
Reply 23
During A-levels, i had too many problems so i was never the type that got work done. So, when it came down to the exams I had to learn everything on my own within a short period of time.
For my A2 history exam I got A,A,C. For the two A grades i revised only 3 days and managed to get high A's. Whereas for the C grade i revised only two days. For As Psychology I revised literally 2/3 days for each module and managed to get A,B and a C. For english, revised 3 days for each and got 3 A's. If you are the type that can memories quite alot of information, youll be fine, Seriously, i found self teaching much more useful than going into college and listening to the teachers...
Marshmellow.
I just wish I'd realised this before I started my A-levels in college..

It's never too late.
Reply 25
Academic Prowess
Just like me. I chose maths, physics and biology, even though I dont care about either of them. But then again, I dont care about much. I chose them so that I could compete with the smartest people at my old school. Even though we dont all go to the same college.

Same! I chose them because I thought they were 'clever' subjects but now I really want to do something I'm interested in! Admittedly I'm not interested in a great lot.. but y'know.
Im just starting this myself, Further maths and physics, however how would one go about coursework? or are there any exam boards that dont do physics coursework?
A levels of course :smile:
Marshmellow.
When did you start self-teaching it? I really want to self-teach either Maths or Further Maths but I'm not entirely sure how to juggle it with my current subjects.

I was thinking of starting once I've finished this AS year. Is it possible to cover both AS and A2 material and take the exams in one year?

Make sure you dont overdo it. I mean I doubt most of these things will have an overall affect on the path of your life, so you would pretty much be doing them for no reason.
Reply 28
waterinabottle
It's never too late.

What would you advise then?

Finishing the AS year and self-teaching A2's?
Reply 29
Academic Prowess
Make sure you dont overdo it. I mean I doubt most of these things will have an overall affect on the path of your life, so you would pretty much be doing them for no reason.

It is for personal benifit yes, just something I really want to cover :smile:
I self-taught myself for retakes in both Business and Psychology and did well in both exams. All you need is a good textbook, the specification and a few example mark schemes and you're away.
Marshmellow.
When did you start self-teaching it? I really want to self-teach either Maths or Further Maths but I'm not entirely sure how to juggle it with my current subjects.

I was thinking of starting once I've finished this AS year. Is it possible to cover both AS and A2 material and take the exams in one year?

Core 1 is mostly very simple. Core 2 is a bit harder, but I've heard core 3 onwards is very hard. FP1 is pretty simple aswell but again Core 2, 3 and 4 are apparently really hard. Oh, and I started FP1 about 2 months ago :yep:
Reply 32
Roo.s
During A-levels, i had too many problems so i was never the type that got work done. So, when it came down to the exams I had to learn everything on my own within a short period of time.
For my A2 history exam I got A,A,C. For the two A grades i revised only 3 days and managed to get high A's. Whereas for the C grade i revised only two days. For As Psychology I revised literally 2/3 days for each module and managed to get A,B and a C. For english, revised 3 days for each and got 3 A's. If you are the type that can memories quite alot of information, youll be fine, Seriously, i found self teaching much more useful than going into college and listening to the teachers...

Well done :smile: how long did it take you to cover the initial content? I'm practically self-teaching History now as I missed heaps of work at the beginning of the course.. So I'm writing notes and working through the textbooks.. Is this what you did? Thanks.
Reply 33
The Randy Panda
Core 1 is mostly very simple. Core 2 is a bit harder, but I've heard core 3 onwards is very hard. FP1 is pretty simple aswell but again Core 2, 3 and 4 are apparently really hard. Oh, and I started FP1 about 2 months ago :yep:

Hmm, so what step would you advise I take? Should I begin self-teaching over the summer maybe? :o:
I usually self teach. My college teaches us on how to pass not how to get the grade you want. :sad:
Reply 35
Dr.Black Knight
I think its pretty easy am selfteaching chemistry and physics and am doing them in one year, for chem got a 97%, for phy my favourite got only 84%, you have to spend a bit of time on them, thats all!!
what subs are you planning to self teach?

Well done :smile: Is that both AS and A2? What did you do about the practicals? I'm considering self-teaching Maths. I'm just not sure when to start/how to juggle it with my other subjects as I don't really want to drop any next year.
Reply 36
ibysaiyan
I am self-teaching Further maths hmm from what i can tell it all depends on the individual and his/her capability.Above all its your devotion (by which i mean time spent)+ understanding the basics.

nuodai
I self-taught 4 Maths modules. It wasn't too bad because all the information was contained inside the relevant text books so I just had to read through and do the exercises; I imagine it'd be quite a different experience for someone self-teaching something like History.

The Randy Panda
I second this. I'm nearly finished self teaching the AS Further maths module and its not too bad. History requires a really good memory though, I dont know how I'd have coped with a more arts based subject :woo:

Hi,

I really want to take Further Maths A level in a year. How hard did you guys find it? How did you do it ?:smile: Any tips would be great. I'm predicted an A* and feel fairly confident in Maths and have a tutor who could help a couple of times a week. Do you think its worth a shot?
Reply 37
I've taken a gap year and resat some of my worst exams (had timetabling issues last year) I managed to improve my Psychology paper from a U to an A after teaching myself everything again. Good luck if that's what your going to do :smile:
Marshmellow.
Well done :smile: Is that both AS and A2? What did you do about the practicals? I'm considering self-teaching Maths. I'm just not sure when to start/how to juggle it with my other subjects as I don't really want to drop any next year.

No thats only the AS doing A2 this june!!(scared) I did the alternative to practicals, if you doing edexcel maths it will be very easy since the book is very good!!!
Good luck!!!
Reply 39
Laurie161
Hi,

I really want to take Further Maths A level in a year. How hard did you guys find it? How did you do it ?:smile: Any tips would be great. I'm predicted an A* and feel fairly confident in Maths and have a tutor who could help a couple of times a week. Do you think its worth a shot?

If you enjoy Maths and you're good at it then go for it is all I can say. Most people who do Further Maths do it in a year (and they do the Maths A-level in a year too) so there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to cope with it.

Latest