The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
nuodai
If you enjoy Maths and you're good at it then go for it is all I can say. Most people who do Further Maths do it in a year (and they do the Maths A-level in a year too) so there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to cope with it.

Thanks :smile: I spose theres nothing to lose either so its worth a try
Reply 41
Josieee
I've taken a gap year and resat some of my worst exams (had timetabling issues last year) I managed to improve my Psychology paper from a U to an A after teaching myself everything again. Good luck if that's what your going to do :smile:

Wow well done! I don't think I want to improve any of my current A-levels as I still have A2 year for that opportunity. I just really wanted to study either Maths or Psychology out of personal interest!

I may leave self-teaching until I've completed A2 by taking a gap year. I know it isn't necessary. It's purely personally and I just really want to do it. Bit of a nut. :p:
Laurie161
Thanks :smile: I spose theres nothing to lose either so its worth a try

Exactly :smile: and if you don't manage to finish the syllabus, you might as well take the exam if you've entered it. You might suprise yourself :smile:
Marshmellow.
It is for personal benifit yes, just something I really want to cover :smile:

Fair enough mate, but this how I see it...
I have 6 AS and A levels (in total)
I'm sitting in my dorm room in 2 years from now and life is good at uni. If i had worked my arse off getting there and not enjoying life, I would feel that a lot of time had been wasted.

or

3 A* grades at A-level, knowing that I enjoyed my last year at college and home, whilst maintaining excellent grades.

Your family are proud, you are proud, and you can leave home knowing that your peers know that you are genuinley intelligent.
(I know I change from 1st to 3rd person)

What I am getting at is that either way, you would be in the same position (uni-wise). And ten years down the line, it will matter even less.

Thats just how I like to look at life, but thats just me. Lol.
Reply 44
I'm self teaching FM and it's alright actually :smile:
Of course it depends on the subject...I think maths is quite an easy subject to self teach but this varies from person to person.
I reckon that as long as you have a real interest in the subject you want to teach yourself then you will find it to be manageable as you will be willing to dedicate the time and effort required to do well in it.
Reply 45
Marshmellow.
Wow well done! I don't think I want to improve any of my current A-levels as I still have A2 year for that opportunity. I just really wanted to study either Maths or Psychology out of personal interest!

I may leave self-teaching until I've completed A2 by taking a gap year. I know it isn't necessary. It's purely personally and I just really want to do it. Bit of a nut. :p:

gap year is probably the best timee :smile:
I don't go to college anymore and therefore self teach all my A levels. I also self taught three of my AS levels.

It depends on so many things so I can't really advise you. It works for me because I'm lazy and so can just learn a little while before exams or something.

Good luck.
Reply 47
A slightly random perspective...

I've actually already graduated, and I'm on a year out at the moment trying to up-skill and get experience for the careers I'm going for in September. I was a straight As student in 6th Form, but I realized that one thing I could have done with was A Level Mathematics - and in fact some firms I'm applying to state this as a requirement on their applications (or at least a quant subject like Physics). So I thought I'd give it a try.

I've been busy in London for the last six months, and just a few weeks ago I started properly learning the course. I essentially have three months to master all six modules, while still working a full-time job.

My experience so far is that it really isn't too bad. I've been putting in four hours a day, six days a week on average. I've found this is enough for me to work my way through a module textbook each week - learning, noting, and doing some (by no means all) of the exercises. I'm on track to have learnt all six books in six weeks, at a basic level. I will spend the next 6 weeks consolidating this knowledge, pushing through any brick walls, and practising past papers.

I believe Maths is one of the easier courses to self-teach. However, I think all of them at A Level are eminently doable.
Marshmellow.
What would you advise then?

Finishing the AS year and self-teaching A2's?

Revise for your AS exams as much as possible - go over the syllabuses 2/3 times over to make sure you understand them completely. Find every past paper you can find and do them over and over again whilst timing yourself with exam conditions. Getting an A is every bit worth the scarification of your social life and other interests or hobbies till May/June. Then you have all the time in the world to relax. It is tough, but completely worth it. Just keep your goal in mind - be it Oxbridge or any other institution.

What I recommend for your A2's is to buy the relevant text books in accordance with your exam board, and cover some of the material during the summer holidays before you return to college. When January comes, you can perhaps sit the exams. Then in June you'll have the option of sitting Further Maths or whatever.

Also, create a revision timetable. What I found optimum was to spread it over a week, but only revising for 4 days, and the remaining days using to relax. You'd ideally want to revise 2-3 hours each day, with breaks in between - anymore than that, it'll probably completely kill your interest in the subject, or you end up committing suicide lol.

Plus, you'll have all of us here to help you out if you ever need it.

Edit: I just noticed that you'd like to self-teach after your A2's. Well, the advice still stands. The revision timetable, practicing past papers with exam conditions, and making sure you understand the syllabus is all you'll need. Best of luck.
Marshmellow.
This is reassuring :smile: I've always been interested in psychology.. I think I may self-teach it. Would you advise self-teaching it once I'm in my second year and then taking the AS in summer next year? Just a shame I can't carry it forward another year :frown:

I've always thought self-teaching is much much quicker. Is this true?

Yes, it definitely is easier to self-teach subjects like psychology where all the exam involves is essay-writing.
As long as you have a comprehensive textbook or two and some past papers, I'd certainly recommend it :smile:
With the exception of A level physics and philosophy, I've pretty much always taught myself everything and not paid too much attention in class. I just read the textbook really, and where that fails I find a different textbook or a suitable internet source. The key was just not moving on until I made sure I understood what I was reading. Applying it with all the work that I was given helped too, or rather was the only time that I did the self teaching anyway.
nuodai
I self-taught 4 Maths modules. It wasn't too bad because all the information was contained inside the relevant text books so I just had to read through and do the exercises; I imagine it'd be quite a different experience for someone self-teaching something like History.

I'm having to re-teach myself C2 (I had lessons, but a year ago. Mind you I never paid attention then :rolleyes:) and it's okay. I miss a few history lessons a week due to clashes and I'd say that the class input with History really does help, I wouldn't want to self teach the entire A levels! :eek:

OP, it's perfectly possible, many people on here have. However, it will require hard work. Good luck!
Reply 52
Marshmellow.
Is it easy/difficult?
Do you have to spend time, more than you would if you were in school, scrutinising the specifactions and mark schemes?
Share your experince and any advice, please. :smile:

Depends on the subject, maths in general is well set-up for self-teaching...and there's plenty of resources out there to help with that, quite liked self teaching some Math Modules, did those during sixth form and found I could easily fit them in after school

With Physics I've had the complete opposite experience, spend almost every minute studying...but there just aren't the same resources, and with just a text book & no support I'm finding I haveto study almost every minute of every day...not quite how I imagined my gap year

Heard some positive things about self-studying psychology...but haven't tried it myself so can't really comment :p:
Reply 53
I suscribe as well.
I will start self-teaching 6 A-levels (I want to do them in a year).

Well, actually, it is not exactly that. 1 of those is going to be only at AS (Spanish First Language), and I have been revising Past Papers, and I don't have to study anything, anybody native will get an A anyway. Another one is Thinking Skills (CIE), which I'll do for the sake of gaining some UCAS points, and will study (only) doing some Past Papers. I don't know if it will be only at AS-level or the full A-level.
The other four (Maths, Economics, Politics and Sociology) are a tad more difficult to cope with. I intend to take them all to the A2. But I won't be exactly self-teaching, I'll do them with the NEC. Does anybody know how it works, and how it is?

Academic Prowess
I am starting this. I want AAAA. I have 2 months. Wish me luck.

Wow! I wish I could do something like that. Do you think that 3 AS-levels are doable in two months?
Good luck, anyway.
SergioMZ
I suscribe as well.
I will start self-teaching 6 A-levels (I want to do them in a year).

Well, actually, it is not exactly that. 1 of those is going to be only at AS (Spanish First Language), and I have been revising Past Papers, and I don't have to study anything, anybody native will get an A anyway. Another one is Thinking Skills (CIE), which I'll do for the sake of gaining some UCAS points, and will study (only) doing some Past Papers. I don't know if it will be only at AS-level or the full A-level.
The other four (Maths, Economics, Politics and Sociology) are a tad more difficult to cope with. I intend to take them all to the A2. But I won't be exactly self-teaching, I'll do them with the NEC. Does anybody know how it works, and how it is?

Wow! I wish I could do something like that. Do you think that 3 AS-levels are doable in two months?
Good luck, anyway.

These grades are by no means secure. I will have to work quite hard. And, yes I do believe 3 a-levels can be done that quickly. What do ou study.
Reply 55
Academic Prowess
These grades are by no means secure. I will have to work quite hard. And, yes I do believe 3 a-levels can be done that quickly. What do ou study.

Wow, but anyway... it is very hard.
Anyway, I guess I'm late to inscribe on a college to sit my exams (besides, living in Spain, it can be difficult to arrange planes, accomodation, etc.). I'll have to wait until January to sit my AS. The thing is that if I do so, probably I'll have to wait to the 2012 UCAS cycle. Ah, who cares. I want to take a gap year anyway (actually I'm having it now).
As of now I study nothing. I ended last year Spanish equivalent to GCSEs (about 3 A*, 6 or 7 As and a B, but this is a rough approximation, I'm inclined to add another A* and convert the B to an A).
I started Spanish Baccalaureate last September (which is 10 subjects with the same workload of an A-level), equivalent to Yr 12, and in October I fell ill. Until December I could more or less go, sometimes, but I haven't attended school since January. All of January and February at the bed, and now halfway (end, actually) of March I'm starting to feel a bit better. I can't anyway do very much.
I will now start A-levels. Half the workload, anyway, as Spanish Bachillerato, and actually very easier to get higher grades.

Sergio
SergioMZ
Wow, but anyway... it is very hard.
Anyway, I guess I'm late to inscribe on a college to sit my exams (besides, living in Spain, it can be difficult to arrange planes, accomodation, etc.). I'll have to wait until January to sit my AS. The thing is that if I do so, probably I'll have to wait to the 2012 UCAS cycle. Ah, who cares. I want to take a gap year anyway (actually I'm having it now).
As of now I study nothing. I ended last year Spanish equivalent to GCSEs (about 3 A*, 6 or 7 As and a B, but this is a rough approximation, I'm inclined to add another A* and convert the B to an A).
I started Spanish Baccalaureate last September (which is 10 subjects with the same workload of an A-level), equivalent to Yr 12, and in October I fell ill. Until December I could more or less go, sometimes, but I haven't attended school since January. All of January and February at the bed, and now halfway (end, actually) of March I'm starting to feel a bit better. I can't anyway do very much.
I will now start A-levels. Half the workload, anyway, as Spanish Bachillerato, and actually very easier to get higher grades.

Sergio

Ok cool man. I hope you get better soon. And I was also wondering if I should take a gap year too. But I would not want to be one year older than most people when I start at university.
Reply 57
Academic Prowess
Fair enough mate, but this how I see it...
I have 6 AS and A levels (in total)
I'm sitting in my dorm room in 2 years from now and life is good at uni. If i had worked my arse off getting there and not enjoying life, I would feel that a lot of time had been wasted.

or

3 A* grades at A-level, knowing that I enjoyed my last year at college and home, whilst maintaining excellent grades.

Your family are proud, you are proud, and you can leave home knowing that your peers know that you are genuinley intelligent.
(I know I change from 1st to 3rd person)

What I am getting at is that either way, you would be in the same position (uni-wise). And ten years down the line, it will matter even less.

Thats just how I like to look at life, but thats just me. Lol.

Hmm, I suppose there isn't much point as it's not going to change where I end up. Although I don't even have any idea where I'm going to end up lol. :p: I think the only reason I'm considering self-teaching is because I have no idea what I'm interested in. So I wanted to take psychology for example because I was always interested in taking it and may want to proceed with it in the future. I mean I'm taking two sciences at the moment and have no interests in them whatsoever. I know them help me show a range but I doubt I'm going to pursue anything along the scientific line..

Ah :o:
Reply 58
waterinabottle
Revise for your AS exams as much as possible - go over the syllabuses 2/3 times over to make sure you understand them completely. Find every past paper you can find and do them over and over again whilst timing yourself with exam conditions. Getting an A is every bit worth the scarification of your social life and other interests or hobbies till May/June. Then you have all the time in the world to relax. It is tough, but completely worth it. Just keep your goal in mind - be it Oxbridge or any other institution.

What I recommend for your A2's is to buy the relevant text books in accordance with your exam board, and cover some of the material during the summer holidays before you return to college. When January comes, you can perhaps sit the exams. Then in June you'll have the option of sitting Further Maths or whatever.

Also, create a revision timetable. What I found optimum was to spread it over a week, but only revising for 4 days, and the remaining days using to relax. You'd ideally want to revise 2-3 hours each day, with breaks in between - anymore than that, it'll probably completely kill your interest in the subject, or you end up committing suicide lol.

Plus, you'll have all of us here to help you out if you ever need it.

Edit: I just noticed that you'd like to self-teach after your A2's. Well, the advice still stands. The revision timetable, practicing past papers with exam conditions, and making sure you understand the syllabus is all you'll need. Best of luck.

Many many thanks. :smile:
So that would give me a full Further Maths qualification?
I guess I feel it's almost irrelevant to have two science A-levels when I don't wish to pursue science further.. I do quite like Biology but I wish I had taken Psychology instead and I think Psychology is something I'd like to do in the future.
Sorry for my constant worries and concerns :eek3:
Marshmellow.
Hmm, I suppose there isn't much point as it's not going to change where I end up. Although I don't even have any idea where I'm going to end up lol. :p: I think the only reason I'm considering self-teaching is because I have no idea what I'm interested in. So I wanted to take psychology for example because I was always interested in taking it and may want to proceed with it in the future. I mean I'm taking two sciences at the moment and have no interests in them whatsoever. I know them help me show a range but I doubt I'm going to pursue anything along the scientific line..

Ah :o:

Fair enough lol:smile:

Latest