The Student Room Group

House of Lords & House of Commons -Similarities

Hi, I was trying to find the similarities between the HoC and HoL but it is quite hard! All I can think of is they both deal with bills and they play a part in parliament and the politics system. Help? Thanks!
Their site suggests: Making laws (legislation), checking the work of the government (scrutiny), and debating current issues.
They're both houses.
They are both elected.
Original post by Cesare Borgia
They are both elected.

Lords aren't elected by members of the public. This is a difference not a similarity.
The layout of the chambers have similarities and differences - both have parallel, facing benches, although the Lords also has crossbenches and the Woolsack.

Both have presiding officers elected from their number, but the Lord Speaker is considerably less powerful.

Both sides treat legislation similarly - a five-stage process (First/Second Reading/Committee/Report/Third Reading). However the Committee Stage in the Lords tends to be on the Floor, while the Commons uses actual committees.

Questions - Members of both can submit Questions to the Government, although the Lords currently has no cabinet ministers apart from the Leader of the House. Also Questions in both Houses have a different layout - the Commons normally lots of quick-firing questions, while the Lords normally has fewer questions but members discuss them for longer.

Committees - Commons committees are generally arranged to mirror Government departments. Lords committees are cross-cutting and holistic.
No they're not. The House of Lords is not elected. Life peers are appointed, hereditary peers are well, hereditary, and Lords Spiritual are appointed by recommendations to the PM from the Church of England.
ur a poo
Original post by Cesare Borgia
They are both elected.

shut it you wee hoor
Original post by xWing
Hi, I was trying to find the similarities between the HoC and HoL but it is quite hard! All I can think of is they both deal with bills and they play a part in parliament and the politics system. Help? Thanks!

Both houses scrutinise the legislation passed from government i.e. the Brexit bill 2018 on the customs union/ single market.

Each house can draft legislation known as a private members bill with a similar bill process in the contrary to EVEL, and the scrutiny is done by the whole House of Lords,
Reply 10
They're not😂
nice one
Original post by jakeforrestt
shut it you wee hoor

they're not both elected your right jakeforrest
ya da sells avon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending