The Student Room Group

Anyone had appendicitis?

I hate posting on here about health problems, because I know that I should be asking my GP and not a student forum, but I'm planning on making a doctor's appointment tomorrow. :yes:

Basically, I've had moderate to severe stomach cramps on and off for about a year or so. I didn't think much of it to start with, but recently they've been getting worse. I stayed at my boyfriend's last night, and the cramps started after we had watching tv and cuddling. I was standing in the kitchen, and it was literally like someone was stabbing me in my lower abdomen. I couldn't stand straight and had to sit down on the floor for a while. This carried on for the rest of the night. The pain went away when I was lying down flat on my back, but would come back as soon as I moved again. Usually, the stabbing pain goes away after an hour or so, but this lasted all through the night last night. This morning, the pain was still there but it was more of a constant, dull ache and this has carried on since I woke up this morning until now. I've actually been reduced to tears throughout the day because of the pain. I know it sounds serious, and I should be making an appt with the GP, but my mum's a nurse and she never expressed any urgency when I explained the cramps before, but now I'm getting worried because I don't think this is normal. I've noticed that the cramps tend to appear initially after I've cuddled someone for a while, which is weird.

Sorry, that was long.
Basically, I'm considering that it may be appendicitis, although I'm not sure because of the length of time that I've had the cramps. Anyone had appendicitis before and can tell me about their symptoms? Or any other suggestions?
Is it on the right side of your body? Like, just above the groove going down to your groin?
My dad had appendicitis before, but he just thought it was a stomach ache, took some powerful painkillers and it masked the pain for a few hours. Eventually, where he wasnt listening to the pain or where it was coming from, he ended up keeling over and needed an emergency op to get it out.
I wouldnt think that it would manage to last over a year though without bursting..

If, when you do go to the GP, it does turn out to be appendicitis, post back! I'd love to know the diagnosis.
Roxannabelle
Is it on the right side of your body? Like, just above the groove going down to your groin?
My dad had appendicitis before, but he just thought it was a stomach ache, took some powerful painkillers and it masked the pain for a few hours. Eventually, where he wasnt listening to the pain or where it was coming from, he ended up keeling over and needed an emergency op to get it out.
I wouldnt think that it would manage to last over a year though without bursting..

If, when you do go to the GP, it does turn out to be appendicitis, post back! I'd love to know the diagnosis.

I'm not sure, it's not really a localized pain. And that's what I was thinking about it being a year and not bursting. It's just so frustrating.

But yeah, I'll def keep this updated!
Reply 3
I had acute appendicitis got taken out of school, went to the hospital, waited 2 hours for surgery and then got stuck in the lift on the way to surgery resulting in my appendix bursting. DAMN NHS!!! :hmpf:

Anyway, you may be suffering from chronic appendicitis which is what someone in my school suffered from. She went to the hospital and they (DAYMM NHS) couldnt do anything as it wasn't severe enough for removal... Basically get to hospital when its really painful and act like its KILLING you and they will remove it...

To do a little self-diagnostis for you... basically if you start throwing up bile and feeling weak after... then you need to go to the hospital IMMEADIATELY for removal..

When you have the pain, it should feel like you REALLY need to go to the toilet (number 2 by the way), but when you try... you can't...

Also, it should feel as if performing an extreme fetal position will make you feel slightly better...

Press the area about 8cm North East of your belly button with your fingers when your looking down at yourself, and then across the whole abdominal area and if you suffer severe pain from that (especially the North East of the abdomen area) then get yourself to the hospital and see if you can get them to remove it...

I've just realised i've gone on and on about appendicitis... It might not be you know LOL :p: Just a lil bit of appendix self-diagnostics for you, See your GP is probably the best idea :yep: LOL
Coherence
I had acute appendicitis got taken out of school, went to the hospital, waited 2 hours for surgery and then got stuck in the lift on the way to surgery resulting in my appendix bursting. DAMN NHS!!! :hmpf:

Anyway, you may be suffering from chronic appendicitis which is what someone in my school suffered from. She went to the hospital and they (DAYMM NHS) couldnt do anything as it wasn't severe enough for removal... Basically get to hospital when its really painful and act like its KILLING you and they will remove it...

To do a little self-diagnostis for you... basically if you start throwing up bile and feeling weak after... then you need to go to the hospital IMMEADIATELY for removal..

When you have the pain, it should feel like you REALLY need to go to the toilet (number 2 by the way), but when you try... you can't...

Also, it should feel as if performing an extreme fetal position will make you feel slightly better...

Press the area about 8cm North East of your belly button with your fingers when your looking down at yourself, and then across the whole abdominal area and if you suffer severe pain from that (especially the North East of the abdomen area) then get yourself to the hospital and see if you can get them to remove it...

I've just realised i've gone on and on about appendicitis... It might not be you know LOL :p: Just a lil bit of appendix self-diagnostics for you, See your GP is probably the best idea :yep: LOL

Thanks for the information. I'm going to try and talk to my mum about it when I get home, but I have this weird thing about if I try and explain something and I get frustrated or it hurts then I'll just cry and won't be able to explain it lol. My friend called earlier and asked how I was feeling and I just burst into tears. BLEH. Anyone would think I'm a 7 year old or something..
But yes, doctor's appointment tomorrow.
Reply 5
Nahh its okay, i mean appendicitis is VERY painful, i should know LOL :woo:

Just next time it happens do the above and try and get to hospital in time but get that appointment ASAP!!!
Coherence
Nahh its okay, i mean appendicitis is VERY painful, i should know LOL :woo:

Just next time it happens do the above and try and get to hospital in time but get that appointment ASAP!!!

Dad's just made me phone NHS24, waiting on them to ring back now. :frown:
Reply 7
my little sister had the same sort of pains you've described over a long period of time but theyve recently gotten worse, nhs direct were no help and just told her to stick it out for a few days and take loads of painkillers!
Reply 8
Coherence

Self-diagnostics is NOT a good idea, and some of the symptoms/signs you describe are not classical of appendicitis.

Oh, and if your appendix burst in the lift, chances are it would have burst before they actually got knife to skin on you anyway once you'd arrived in theatre, so don't go slagging off the NHS for that.

And chronic appendicitis is quite a controversial one...
kaytee.
my little sister had the same sort of pains you've described over a long period of time but theyve recently gotten worse, nhs direct were no help and just told her to stick it out for a few days and take loads of painkillers!

Yeah, I waited an hour for them to phone back and got 'take some paracetamol and rest'. :rolleyes:

I went to the doctor this morning, turns out it's most likely a digestive problem because of the milk protein intolerance I had when I was a baby. Have to change my whole diet, apparently, which sucks. Soya milk. :puke:
Reply 10
Helenia
Self-diagnostics is NOT a good idea, and some of the symptoms/signs you describe are not classical of appendicitis.

Oh, and if your appendix burst in the lift, chances are it would have burst before they actually got knife to skin on you anyway once you'd arrived in theatre, so don't go slagging off the NHS for that.

And chronic appendicitis is quite a controversial one...

pwn'd

I love watching Helenia school webMD generated internet diagnosticians.
Reply 11
Where does it hurt when you have appendicitis?
I’m worried that I have appendicitis. My pain is in my lower abdomen, right above the groin area. I still am able to walk and eat and stuff, but I’m still worried. As per Everydayhealth, Abdominal pain is common in a lot of illnesses, such as irritable bowel syndrome, gastroenteritis, urinary tract infections (UTI), and pelvic inflammatory disease, an infection of a woman's reproductive organs. My symptoms are similar, I am totally confused I need Help?
Original post by macystu
I’m worried that I have appendicitis. My pain is in my lower abdomen, right above the groin area. I still am able to walk and eat and stuff, but I’m still worried. As per Everydayhealth, Abdominal pain is common in a lot of illnesses, such as irritable bowel syndrome, gastroenteritis, urinary tract infections (UTI), and pelvic inflammatory disease, an infection of a woman's reproductive organs. My symptoms are similar, I am totally confused I need Help?

Are you being serious?
Original post by macystu

I recommend your see your GP if you are concerned about your health like this. Also in future please check the dates of threads before you reply to them, as this one is 8 years old and has no need to be brought back. Thank you and I hope you get better soon!
Reply 14
Original post by DrawTheLine
I recommend your see your GP if you are concerned about your health like this. Also in future please check the dates of threads before you reply to them, as this one is 8 years old and has no need to be brought back. Thank you and I hope you get better soon!

I have an appointment this weekend as I cannot bear the pain any longer, I am new here... thankyou for getting it to my notice will follow your advice.
Reply 15
Original post by HopefulAgony37
Are you being serious?

serious as in.... ??
Original post by macystu
serious as in.... ??

As in, like, this is an actual question? Look buddy, if it’s a sharp shooting pain on your lower right side and you are nauseous, go to the doc. Better yet, go anyway and get checked... and even betttterre yet, go and get it removed anyway, whether or not that’s what it is. You got it dude.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by macystu
I have an appointment this weekend as I cannot bear the pain any longer, I am new here... thankyou for getting it to my notice will follow your advice.

You have a weekend GP appointment?
The symptoms are sickness , sharp pain in the lower right side of the stomach.If it’s getting worse talk to your local GP and they’ll have a look for you the treatment for appendicitis is normally surgery.

Quick Reply

Latest