The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Questions about History

Last-minute questions before I stop procrastinating and make a decision, heheh - I've an offer for History at Exeter and was wondering if some current students/knowledgeable people could answer a few questions about the course.

First of all - what are the professors like? How accessible are they to students in and out of class? Do you get to know them as people, or are they just faceless lecturers most of the time?

Secondly - if any current historians want to share their perspectives on the structure of the course, the modules offered, the workload, and just generally how they've found it, I'd be really grateful for anything along those lines.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Could I please also ask how people found the jump between A-Level History and University level? I have a rough idea of assignment types, but are they much harder to get good marks in than at school?

Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
As nobody else is talking to you I thought I’d try and help

I’m in my first year studying Archaeology, but I started on a combined honours course with history (dropped it cause I like archaeology not cause I don’t like History!). I also have a few good friends doing history so know a bit about it.

@ upstartspacecrow
The lecturers seem nice and friendly. You'll have seminars and I think one-to-one feedback for some essays (may be wrong). Other than that I'm not sure, but you'll certainly be able to email them. This year the uni accepted too many people so groups were bigger than they’re meant to be. This should be all sorted out for you guys though.

As for the course, the foundation module is quite challenging and a lot of people say it’s boring but this will be the case whichever course of uni you choose (even my beloved archaeology is boring sometimes!). The option modules look good if you’re interested in the periods on offer. I wasn’t, that was my problem! If you’re looking for lots of medieval options or earlier then Exeter’s probably not for you. My friends have all really enjoyed their choices.

There’s quite a lot of work to do, but it’s manageable. Most weeks you’ll have seminar work, but I think they’re only short essays and stuff. Then you have some longer essays and presentations. More work than archaeology, less than physics!

@ arandlas
I’m not really sure having only made 2 lectures and 2 seminars before I dropped history! If you’re quite intelligent, got common sense, good at debates and spotting arguments and stuff, basically quite intuitive you’ll be fine. If you’re used to being spoon fed everything and can’t think for yourself any course is going to be difficult. If you’re willing to work and learn you’ll get by. Can’t really give you much more than that sorry…

Hope that’s helped you both a bit. Personally, I think Exeter’s and amazing uni and city. I love it here and wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. You’ll love it here!

Disclaimer: I’m not a proper history student. A lot of information is second hand. I stand to be corrected by a history student if one answers you, but as none has, I've given you what I've got!
Reply 3
Thanks dhunt every little helps :smile:
Are there no current/graduated history students out there?

Latest

Trending

Trending