The Student Room Group

What do i need for clinical/counselling psychology?

Hello, my name is Daniel and i'm currently at secondry school. I'm looking to be a Clinical/Counselling Psychologist, but im wondering what qualifications will i need?

I'm studying 10 gcse's and predicted to get b's in the majority.

I'm going to do an A level in psychology, biology, and not sure on the other.

at uni? i have no idea... what do i need from leaving college to working as a psychologist?

Thanks!
Reply 1
A PHD in psychology for clinical and a Msc in counceling psychology for the other one.
other then that you needed an accredited Psychology degree.
and loades of work experiance and reading.
I've just had a thought - What do you want to do in Clnical Psychology?
Reply 2
A psychology degree that is accredited by the BPS, then for clinical psychology you would need to get on to an incredibly competitive 3 year doctorate course, probably after about 3 years of working in a highly sought after position such as an assistant psychologist.
Not sure for counselling psychologist, definitely the psychology degree plus a masters probably.
Reply 3
hmmm.. maybe rather than clinical psychologist, psychiatrist which one prescribes medicine while treating patients?
Reply 4
Firstly you need a 1st in a degree that's accredited by the BPS; you then need to do an MSc/Phd in clinical psychology or counselling. It's very competitive, so you'll need good grades.

In terms of A-levels biology and psychology are perfect. Others you may want to think about doing: maths, chemistry, sociology, geography, a language, english lit, philosophy. Basically you can do anything! I would very highly suggest having at least one core science (either biology, chemistry, physics or maths) and then another sciencey subject (pscychology, geography, sociology, geology, environmental science are usually included as 'sciences' by universities) and then the last subject is your choice.

You're thinking about this waaaaaay too early! You may change your mind later on throughout your A-levels!
Reply 5
skotch

You're thinking about this waaaaaay too early! You may change your mind later on throughout your A-levels!

Thanks for your answer!
Maybe i am, i know psychology is the road i want to go down, so thinking ahead isn't a bad thing, right?
Reply 6
Well merely looking at your A levels, I would advise your Psychology and Biology.

I'd add to this English Lit (you'll be writing a lot of reports in both your degree and later if you ever do go on to your dream job).
And
Maths or Statistics. (I'd have done Statistics if I could have gone back in time and told myself!)
Reply 7
Bleachy
Thanks for your answer!
Maybe i am, i know psychology is the road i want to go down, so thinking ahead isn't a bad thing, right?

Orginally, from around year 7 to year 9 I was intent on doing something to do with Law or Journalism, then around the time of my GCSEs I was set on doing Geography. But when I began my AS levels I knew that Psychology was for me and that I wanted to study it for the rest of my life! Just goes to show how much things can change in just a few years.

I would say a be a little patient. You don't need to start looking at unis yet, but you should be thinking about your degree so that you can decide on your A levels. Most people tend to start looking up and reading about universities around summer term of their AS year (although lots start earlier around christmas and some start later in the autumn term of their A2 year).
Reply 8
Bleachy
hmmm.. maybe rather than clinical psychologist, psychiatrist which one prescribes medicine while treating patients?

To be a psychiatrist you need to do a medical degree first.

Have a look here for some ideas and advice:
http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/career.shtml
I'd reccomend

Biology, psychology, maths (although not necessarily but will help you later in the degree!) and a subject with a lot of data handling, such as geography, physics..sociology etc

Latest