The Student Room Group

A-Levels to take to Cambridge ?!

Hey, thanks for clicking on the link

I am just a bit worried because I am finding articles about 'soft options' and how universities don't care about them etc etc etc...

I am doing my A levels this year, having gained 4 A's in my AS results in the summer. However, it is not the grades im worried about, it's the combination of subjects. I gave up Drama after AS although I got an A, and I am taking an additional AS in Classical Civilisation, because I am applying for History of Art and it seems appropriate. (in case you were wondering History of Art isn't taught at my school).

A Levels: English Literature, Geography, Art and Design: fine art

AS: Drama and Theatre Studies, Classical Civilisation

I know that the subjects I have studied were challenging and interesting but we all know that universities are swamped with applications and have to eliminate. Are there 'too many' 'doss subjects' in my A levels?

I am applying to Cambridge, Bristol, Edinburgh , Warwick and Leeds for entry in 2010, but if I don't get my first choice (cambridge) I am seriously considerin taking a year out and doing A levels in History of Art, History and Italian at a crammer.

Any advice??
Reply 1
cwg1992
Hey, thanks for clicking on the link

I am just a bit worried because I am finding articles about 'soft options' and how universities don't care about them etc etc etc...

I am doing my A levels this year, having gained 4 A's in my AS results in the summer. However, it is not the grades im worried about, it's the combination of subjects. I gave up Drama after AS although I got an A, and I am taking an additional AS in Classical Civilisation, because I am applying for History of Art and it seems appropriate. (in case you were wondering History of Art isn't taught at my school).

A Levels: English Literature, Geography, Art and Design: fine art

AS: Drama and Theatre Studies, Classical Civilisation

I know that the subjects I have studied were challenging and interesting but we all know that universities are swamped with applications and have to eliminate. Are there 'too many' 'doss subjects' in my A levels?

I am applying to Cambridge, Bristol, Edinburgh , Warwick and Leeds for entry in 2010, but if I don't get my first choice (cambridge) I am seriously considerin taking a year out and doing A levels in History of Art, History and Italian at a crammer.

Any advice??
I'm not sure what advice you need. You can check on the Cambridge website what the preferred subjects for HofA applicants are - it may vary by college. If you are determined on Cambridge and don't get in with the combination you expect to offer, you could go round again with those additional A levels - but there would be no guarantee of success even if you did that.
One list of good/less good A levels is on the Trinity website: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Obviously this would vary from college to college, but probably not by that much.

English Lit and Geography are both considered good A levels, and while Art would be less suitable if you were doing a different course, it should be fine since you're applying for History of Art.

I don't know about other universities, but if you've got an interview, then that's the best way they can tell how good you are. You won't be at a disadvantage because of your subject choice, especially since you meet the requirements Trinity state.
Reply 3
From the Cambridge website:

Any academic subjects; a modern language is an advantage.

But seeing as you've applied already, it's a bit silly to worry about this now isn't it?
Reply 4
It's fine, personally I would have swapped the geography for a science or maths, but you'll still have a perfectly good shot.
Reply 5
aww thanks everyone I seriously didnt expect anyone to read this awwww :smile: thanks for the useful advice and for (slightly) putting my mind at ease xx
Art is ok. A girl doing classics in my college did an Art A-level. Apparently she was alright or she wouldn't be here :P

Latest

Trending

Trending