The Student Room Group

A2 AQA BUSS4: Strategies Businesses could have adopted to prepare for the recession.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
TickTackToe
I have research general motors, is that okay because its an america business?

correct me if i'm wrong, bt i'm pretty sure that its abt the Uk recession and hence UK firms...:smile:
Reply 81
xbabyxchelseax
I wouldn't say pay 'rise' freeze is not so much a cost reduction method, unless it's unadjusted to inflation. A pay 'rise' freeze is a way of pausing growth, it's ok to limit growth and expansion plans but what I was saying previously is that significant retrenchment is likely to damage the long term prospect of the firm. Remember during a downturn, consumers are more money conscious, so inevitably, they would be looking for 'good value for money' but this should not be mistaken for cheap cheap prices. It's no good selling something at rock bottom prices that people don't want. Evaluation- consider whether defensive strategies such as cost reduction etc, is a sign of weakness in the business itself and the recession has made it more prominent than before? Actions to cut investment and growth are usually short term in nature, but have you considered the long term effect? It may depend on the type of business, in a recession there's winners and losers! Same may even argue, that strong and stable firms are able to take advantage of the low interest rate and the loss of competition etc.

thanks. this helps. so i have just researched Dominos UK which has expanded in the recession, opening 176 franchisees and their dividends increased by 31.4%...

they say that one of reasons their sales has increased is because of the poor weather and the recession itself. Also beacuse they have used sales promotion such as "two for tuesday"

so wht do you guys think, did they prepare for the recession or was their expansion stretegy and sales promotion part of their reaction to the recession?
Reply 82
jessica78
i focused on domino's pizza and starbucks but now i'm unsure about starbucks seeing as its more american ... they mentioned it on the tutor2u workshop though so should be ok?

:yep: starbucks is good company. they have started to open up a lot of franchisees in the UK. and its a good company to research in terms of employment rights and leadership.
Reply 83
monnie
thank you that was very useful.

i'll be posting one of my essays once i type it up so maybe you guys can have a look (if u have time or if u want to) and help me to improve it.

I'd have a look for you :smile:
Reply 84
TickTackToe
Unit 1 is all about the definitions , u do know u actually get marks for defining the key word in the question.

.....yes, 2/7 marks.
Reply 85
dogie
.....yes, 2/7 marks.

To quote Tesco, 'every little helps!'
Reply 86
Researching companies is absolutely the way to go. A minimum of two, and ideally one or two more. Along the way you can also pcik up insights into specific industries, perhaps comparing and contrasinting the fortunes of two different businesses in the same industry. That provides a rich seam of research evidence, and makes it much easier to write evaluative sentences in a strong BUSS4 answer
Fozila
thanks. this helps. so i have just researched Dominos UK which has expanded in the recession, opening 176 franchisees and their dividends increased by 31.4%...

they say that one of reasons their sales has increased is because of the poor weather and the recession itself. Also beacuse they have used sales promotion such as "two for tuesday"

so wht do you guys think, did they prepare for the recession or was their expansion stretegy and sales promotion part of their reaction to the recession?

...very important to keep the marketing up there, especially at times where consumers are more wary about what they buy.

Think of it this way, yeah the leisure and food industry has suffered as a whole. However, within these markets there are businesses benefiting far more. How? 'eat out' is a normal good, 'take outs' such as dominoes is an inferior good, it is seen as cheaper alternative to an expensive night out. (you probably already know this but inferior goods and normal goods are based on economic theory... if you do know this I hope you don't think i'm patronising you)
An industry as a whole may be suffering however there are certain segments within a industry who thrived through the recession.
Other examples, travel industry has suffered but budget airlines have benefitted. hotel industry...premier inn and travel lodge...
Reply 88
yes jimothy, your a star :biggrin:

i love you
Reply 89
The contrasting posts add emotional depth within my soul

BUSS4 has a massive role in my life thus i depend..

I live for the quality, and high expectations are the answer

-godbless-

arthur
Reply 90
shout out 2 the buss4 crew

pete
dave
claire
bertie
dan

ahh arthur

trace is a badman

bless
Reply 91
How do you get on to that 78 pg info pack on 'post 23?' It keeps saying i can not access it, any help please? cheers
Reply 92
liamcd05
How do you get on to that 78 pg info pack on 'post 23?' It keeps saying i can not access it, any help please? cheers

I can't seem to get on to that either :-S would anybody be able to send it in a email or some other way to me? Thanks :smile:
Reply 93
Guys im getting confussed, i didint know we had to reach about other company, i thought only on those points, so we gona have to relate the firm in the case study to our firm?
Reply 94
Swimmer
Guys im getting confussed, i didint know we had to reach about other company, i thought only on those points, so we gona have to relate the firm in the case study to our firm?

Correct - you need to be able to address both the firm provided in the exam paper, and also bring in evidence of your research on at least one other firm or industry. Comparing and contrasting is a key part of the Section A essay.

Jim
Reply 95
Jim Riley
Correct - you need to be able to address both the firm provided in the exam paper, and also bring in evidence of your research on at least one other firm or industry. Comparing and contrasting is a key part of the Section A essay.

Jim

How many case studies do you think we should learn? Obviously some are more flexible than others covering more of the specification, but my teachers keep telling me different things.. :rolleyes:
Reply 96
Subscribe.

Edit: for some reason this stopped showing up on my subscribes :s-smilie:
Reply 97
Jessica,
How many case studies do you think we should learn? Obviously some are more flexible than others covering more of the specification, but my teachers keep telling me different things.. :rolleyes:

If you have time, I would go for three or four. It is important to go into some depth, so dont spread your research too thinly.

I would also try to research firms / industries that have had contrasting fortunes during the recession.

Jim
Reply 98
What 2 business you suggest i should research about? sorry for asking but i had no idea we had to do this :frown:
Reply 99
Jim Riley
If you have time, I would go for three or four. It is important to go into some depth, so dont spread your research too thinly.

I would also try to research firms / industries that have had contrasting fortunes during the recession.

Jim

Thank you,
I think I'll do four if I can :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending