The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
*hi five*! I want some more offers... Cambridge have posted their replies 2day - so we'll c what they say. But I'd like to get into nottingham or warwick
Reply 21
Yeh! I'd rather nottingham and I'm putting that as either first choice (when cam reject me) or insurance offer coz' the ABB thing is within reach and 3000 pounds bursary is also a good thing. I hope you get your nottingham offer soon! At least that will give you a good insurance choice. *fingers crossed* It'd be great if we got into Cambridge though.. Boo :'( *thinking happy thoughts*
Reply 22
:smile: Think happy thoughts indeed :smile:
Reply 23
You'll do well wherever you end up, so I wouldn't worry too much. Tells us how you go on tho!
Reply 24
This is quite funny. It's like our own private thread and we've managed to get to a 2nd page. Thanks so much for your company and encouragement. I've met so many nice cambridge applicants and I didn't think I would. LIke one guy waiting outside the interview room kept offering me encouragement and when I left he asked me if I was okay coz' my face was burning. hehe. Did you have a technical interview too? Mine was funny coz' they mixed the two. The general one had the statute thing, and the technical one was murder in 3 scenarios and contract in 3 scenarios.

Ooh and I have one bit of good news :smile: My only achievement in the interview. One of my referees (my employer) had done a groundbreaking case in the privy council which was pretty high profile and my interviewer mentioned it and said "I notice that one of your referees took the case of RBA v Phillip Tan. I'm extremely familiar with the case and thankful that he cleared up 150 years of pure mess with the legal system" ....

Apparently, my referee had also been interviewed by the SAME interviewer last year for his Masters.. and the interviewer grovelled to him and said "thank you thank you" and gave him an immediate offer. Lolz..... it was really a coincidence coz' I didn't even know my employer had applied to DOwning.
Reply 25
Well you'll have done ok then, that reference will carry a lot of weight.
I don't understand y u had the statute thing 4 ur general, my general was just talking about my school etc. and asking whether i'd ban advertising (?!?)

The cambridge people I met have been fantastic actually. No-one would go drinking with me after my interviews tho... :frown:
Reply 26
Hahahha. Bad advertising? Lolz. My general was damn weird. They talked about my grades and congratulated me. Talked about my reference.. Then they plunged me into the deep and gave me the statute thing.. that's when I died. They also asked me "Why Law" and NOTHING ELSE except the end question asking whether i liked Emma Woodhouse or Elizabeth Bennett better and why. !!! Nuts! Nothing about myself or my activities or anything ... just all these tricky things.
Reply 27
lilsunflower
Hahahha. Bad advertising? Lolz. My general was damn weird. They talked about my grades and congratulated me. Talked about my reference.. Then they plunged me into the deep and gave me the statute thing.. that's when I died. They also asked me "Why Law" and NOTHING ELSE except the end question asking whether i liked Emma Woodhouse or Elizabeth Bennett better and why. !!! Nuts! Nothing about myself or my activities or anything ... just all these tricky things.

Oops. Ban advertising. Typo
Reply 28
Who'd you choose?

We did Emma for AS, and were gonna do P&P for A2, but the guys hated it, so we've ended up doing two plays.

Oh, by the way, would you re-apply if you dont get in?
Reply 29
I said Emma was a more complex character and also, perhaps someone I could better relate too coz' her disillusionment, arrogance and meddling behaviour were very human traits that we see. However, I said that I didn't 'like' her and agree that Jane Austen had created a character that 'no one but myself would like very much' (however that quote goes).. and Elizabeth Bennett was a much more pleasant character, yet, less independent and free-thinking. Something along those lines.

Apparently that guy was a die hard Austen fan and he adores Elizabeth Bennett and hates Emma.... but Emma is way more complex. SHe' aggravating but more interesting that Liz. Ooh what 2 plays are you doing? My Lit class is filled with only females.. and we are doing Emma and Othello for A2 which is damn cool! We did Things Fall Apart, Glass Menagerie, Plath and Macbeth for AS. It was really weird though... all my class got A for one paper... and for the other paper it was all Cs, Ds and Es! Nuts.

I wouldn't reapply coz' I'm not desparate for Cambridge (well I am.. but you know).. and Nottingham seems to be a place for me. How about you?
Reply 30
We did Emma, A Streetcar Named Desire, Hamlet for AS
and we're doing A Clockwork Orange, Tenpest, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf and Othello 4 A2.

I don't know about reapplying - I've always thought it was a bti desperate. I did really like cambridge though!
Reply 31
Woah.. so you're considering reapplying? But what would you do for 1 year? Gosh.. let's just hope you're not faced with the option of having to do so. Just get in and get the grades!!!!! :smile:
Reply 32
Well that would be ideal. If I had your offer from Nottingham, I'd go there! :smile: I'd try and get myself some decent work experience, and teach myself economics and apply for that.
Reply 33
paymaster
Well that would be ideal. If I had your offer from Nottingham, I'd go there! :smile: I'd try and get myself some decent work experience, and teach myself economics and apply for that.

Okies :smile: That sounds lovely. Well if all turns out badly for us, I may see you in Nottingham! Then we'll be classmates. What grades did you get for AS and did you have really high scores? Coz' then I don't think you'll have ANY probs getting into nottingham. seriously :smile: don't worry.
Reply 34
I got As in all of them, but none of em were great. I got some 90% individual module scores, and 2 100%s in gen studies (including bizarrely, culture).
Reply 35
Is it just me or does this forum sometimes make you feel really thick?
Reply 36
paymaster
I got As in all of them, but none of em were great. I got some 90% individual module scores, and 2 100%s in gen studies (including bizarrely, culture).

Congrats. I'm sure you'll get in! :smile: They're really good scores and you shouldn't be thinking that they're not. Let's put it this way, if I got in.. so will you! Oh gosh, but I wonder how much the personal statement counts for. Mine was a pretty weird one.. like the first para talked about my work eperience and law. The second para about scholarships and living away from home since 11.. and the 3rd was just all the junk I could fit in. haha.. it was so funny. I had 29 drafts and in the end, my teacher chose my 1st draft and polished it up.
Reply 37
paymaster
Is it just me or does this forum sometimes make you feel really thick?

Lolz I totally agree with you! You're the only person I can relate to and I thank you so much for that! Everyone else seems so above me. Hehe... and I'm the only one speaking teenager language.
Reply 38
I started mine with a quote "the law must be stable, but must not stand still" Ruscoe Pound
Thought I'd try and get their attention!
Reply 39
The weirdest thread i saw was this
http://www.uk-learning.net/t16311.html
It's got some guy ranting about how great cambridge is, and talking in latin! Made me think I might be better off somewhere other than cam

Latest