The Student Room Group

RVC - what are the chances of getting accommodation?

Hello, I'm new to The Student Room and I would really appreciate a bit of advice, mainly about the Royal Veterinary College.
I am lucky enough to have a choice of three offers for Veterinary Medicine at RVC (6 year course) , Liverpool (6 year) and Nottingham (5 year). Which of these three universities would people choose?

I went to see the Camden Campus at RVC today and think that this would probably be my first choice, I'm just slightly concerned about the accommodation. Does anyone know if it's easy to get into University accommodation at Camden, for the first year and subsequent years? Also, does anybody know how much it would cost to get a shared house in Camden, the likelihood of being able to get a house, or even if this is the normal thing to do in London?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me! :smile:
I think it depends where you live, people further away are more likely to get accomodation than say people that already live in London. If everythings been allocated though and they have spaces, I think they then start giving places to people closer to the uni. Last year one of my friends wasnt given accomodation then on results day obviously not everyone met their offer so they had spare places and so she got a place at Mary B even though she doesnt live that far away. Hope this helped a bit.
Reply 2
Vet_Fresher
Hello, I'm new to The Student Room and I would really appreciate a bit of advice, mainly about the Royal Veterinary College.
I am lucky enough to have a choice of three offers for Veterinary Medicine at RVC (6 year course) , Liverpool (6 year) and Nottingham (5 year). Which of these three universities would people choose?

I went to see the Camden Campus at RVC today and think that this would probably be my first choice, I'm just slightly concerned about the accommodation. Does anyone know if it's easy to get into University accommodation at Camden, for the first year and subsequent years? Also, does anybody know how much it would cost to get a shared house in Camden, the likelihood of being able to get a house, or even if this is the normal thing to do in London?

RVC!!!!!!!

From talking to the students at RVC the people who tend to get the places in the camden halls of residence are those that live quite far away from london and the rest go to kentish town which is really close to camden anyway :smile: I am not sure how hard it is to get into the camden halls though i am sure someone will have some figures somewhere though. Not sure about the house thing again i expect it would be expensive as it is london, i expect you would be more likely to rent a flat as a student especially since it is in the centre.
Reply 3
by 6 year i assume you mean D101?
if you live in/near london RVC wont guarantee you halls, how far away do you live?
Reply 4
Thanks for all your replies. They've helped me out a lot, still got a tricky decision though!
I'd really like to go to RVC but I'm worried about not being able to get/afford accommodation after the first year.

Annaconda: Yes, it is the D101 course. I live in Dorset, too far to commute!
Reply 5
I live in West Sussex. How close is too close? I assume I'd be okay, but I want to check.
Living in Dorset you will get accommodation either in College Grove on campus or at Mary B which is only a 15min ish walk away.

Steph_v - I have a friend from Sussex who wasn't offered accommodation at first but then on results day or soon after, was offered accommodation probably due to people not meeting offers.

I'm currently a first year RVC so any questions feel free to ask but I don't read the forum very often anymore so might not reply quickly.
Reply 7
goldiesgirl
Living in Dorset you will get accommodation either in College Grove on campus or at Mary B which is only a 15min ish walk away.

Steph_v - I have a friend from Sussex who wasn't offered accommodation at first but then on results day or soon after, was offered accommodation probably due to people not meeting offers.

I'm currently a first year RVC so any questions feel free to ask but I don't read the forum very often anymore so might not reply quickly.

Do you know if there is an area they don't offer accommodation too, i.e 60 miles radius or something? I know that happened to my friend at a different university. I hadn't even thought about it, because I assumed it would be fine. I live pretty near Hampshire, literally the furthest point in Sussex from London. I'll check the distance now. Ah, it's like 80 miles from Camden apparently (never realised it was that far!), so that should be fine, really? They couldn't honestly expect me to commute?
Reply 8
goldiesgirl

Did you get into university accommodation the first year? I've seen the buildings and they look really nice. What are your plans for next year? Are you sharing a flat or going for the university accomodation?

Also, is anyone at Nottingham Uni at the moment? What do you think of the location of Sutton Bonington, does it make social life a little more difficult being so far out of the city?

Thanks!
I got into College Grove which is on campus. Living in Devon pretty much guaranteed this for me though! I don't know what their cut off in terms of distance is but I know of very few people in intercollegiate accommodation or who are commuting and all of them live relatively close to or in London. I also know of people who live in London who are in uni accommodation so I really wouldn't panic about it.

Next year I'm moving into a house/flat with 4 of my current flatmates. We haven't got anywhere yet but have been told not to start looking until after the easter break!
If you live in Dorset you have nothing to worry about, you will get a place in either Camden or Mary B. They tend to give the College Grove places to the international students and those who live far away, so you stand a good chance of getting them.

There doesn't seem to be a distance or time limit as such with regards to giving halls places, but the rough rule of thumb is if you live within the M25 you won't get halls. If you live within an hours train of london you're at risk, same if you live on the London side of herts, beds, bucks, essex, etc etc (ie all the counties bordering London/M25).
Of course, nothing isguaranteed and if you have exceptional home circumstances they will take these into account, but if you live very close always have an alternative in mind.

I didn't get halls ( i used to live in outer north west london) and so for first year with only (I think) about 6 weeks notice I had to find somewhere else to live. The RVC do publish a list of names of people who didn't get halls and through that list, and through TSR I found some people to live with (one was kent, one west london, one surrey). I ended up in a really really nice house, where I stayed for second year until the move up to Hawkshead. I know most people didn't struggle to find somewhere to live in second year but be prepared for either not very nice housing close to campus or living slightly further away for nicer house/cheaper rent.

I think I covered everything, feel free to ask if not.
Reply 11
batty_hatty
If you live in Dorset you have nothing to worry about, you will get a place in either Camden or Mary B. They tend to give the College Grove places to the international students and those who live far away, so you stand a good chance of getting them.

There doesn't seem to be a distance or time limit as such with regards to giving halls places, but the rough rule of thumb is if you live within the M25 you won't get halls. If you live within an hours train of london you're at risk, same if you live on the London side of herts, beds, bucks, essex, etc etc (ie all the counties bordering London/M25).
Of course, nothing isguaranteed and if you have exceptional home circumstances they will take these into account, but if you live very close always have an alternative in mind.

I didn't get halls ( i used to live in outer north west london) and so for first year with only (I think) about 6 weeks notice I had to find somewhere else to live. The RVC do publish a list of names of people who didn't get halls and through that list, and through TSR I found some people to live with (one was kent, one west london, one surrey). I ended up in a really really nice house, where I stayed for second year until the move up to Hawkshead. I know most people didn't struggle to find somewhere to live in second year but be prepared for either not very nice housing close to campus or living slightly further away for nicer house/cheaper rent.

I think I covered everything, feel free to ask if not.

Hiya, I am currently trying to choose between RVC and Liv, but one of my concerns with RVC is whether or not I would get into uni halls, I live in Surrey, outside of the M25. This is one of my major concerns with choosing the RVC!!

Also, what's the housing situation like when it comes to second year?? And are there enough houses around in the area?? Thankyou! :smile:
samz56
Hiya, I am currently trying to choose between RVC and Liv, but one of my concerns with RVC is whether or not I would get into uni halls, I live in Surrey, outside of the M25. This is one of my major concerns with choosing the RVC!!

Also, what's the housing situation like when it comes to second year?? And are there enough houses around in the area?? Thankyou! :smile:

You shouldn't really pick your vet school on housing (theoretically anyway) but on the relative merits of the two places. I really like the RVC but it is expensive but then you get more loan. I am biased, only you can decide, have you visited both?

It will depend on where you live in Surrey, how many other applicants from London, how they're feeling that day etc etc I can't predict I'm afraid. I would prepare yourself that its unlikely and then if you do get into halls you'll be even more pleased. I can say for 99% certain though that if you do get halls it will be Mary B.

There is always plenty of housing for second year (or first year if you don't get halls) so I wouldn't worry about that.
Reply 13
is lymington in hampshire to close or would I get in to accomodation:confused:

thanks just wandering:smile:
that's definitely far enough away from london- you would get accommodation!
Reply 15
Original post by Vet_Fresher

Chance of accommodation is quite high. I didn't apply to halls until end of July and got offered a place within 2 weeks of being on the waiting list. As far as I'm aware everyone who wanted to be in halls this year got in... there's spare rooms going in Mary B at the moment that no one wants to move into. Not many second years here, and I don't think there are any in College Grove. Most people live in houses.

I looked for a house/flat by myself and struggled. Everythings expensive, looking to be spending £100-130 a week on rent without bills. Whereas Mary B £133 a week bills inclusive, College Grove £127 a week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending