The Student Room Group

What's the One Thing they don't tell you to pack...

Scroll to see replies

My list:
1. A spare mobile phone is a Godsend. Take it out when you go out, and if you lose it it doesn't matter too much. Also very handy for having people ask for your number and you never intending to call them :rolleyes:
2. Random bits of string, blue-tack, scissors, a marker pen etc. Amazing how these come in useful for last-minute fancy dress. Breezers box + scissors + hole punch + string + marker = superhero mask.
3. As previously said, medicine. You will not want to walk to nearest shop to get Lemsip when you need it :p:
4. Masking tape. For the time you get bored and will find it funny to tape over the entrace to someone's room in many layers, trapping them from the inside.
Reply 201
colander!
Has anyone mentioned an iron yet?
also a glass dish - as in casserole dish for cooking in.
Sharp Knives?
Whisk?
Plastic Jug - The measuring kind and the Pitcher kind for cocktail making!
Stain remover - for when you spill red/rose/coke/mixture of drinks down your white/light clothes!
shower cap -for when you cant be arsed washing/drying your hair!
If ensuite a bin for your toilet!
Baking tray - you'll need to put your fish fingers and oven chips on something!
Cling film/ Foil

Most of the things on my rather comprehensive list has been covered by previous posts!
Someone else said it on page 5, but it bears reiterating. Bring board games - they're great for a drinking night in if you get creative with the rules :biggrin:
Reply 203
Original post by charlotte-rose
My list:
1. A spare mobile phone is a Godsend. Take it out when you go out, and if you lose it it doesn't matter too much. Also very handy for having people ask for your number and you never intending to call them :rolleyes:
2. Random bits of string, blue-tack, scissors, a marker pen etc. Amazing how these come in useful for last-minute fancy dress. Breezers box + scissors + hole punch + string + marker = superhero mask.
3. As previously said, medicine. You will not want to walk to nearest shop to get Lemsip when you need it :p:
4. Masking tape. For the time you get bored and will find it funny to tape over the entrace to someone's room in many layers, trapping them from the inside.

This i did as a club rep! funniest thing we ever did - but we did it with extra strong gaffer tape and lots of it! the person literally had to stab it with a sharp knife and cut themselves free!
Reply 204
Original post by MHorman
Lol, this isn't my idea, i read it somewhere...
I'm doing the same thing atm, starting to wodner what stuff i will need...

Item: A Traffic Cone

Reason: An interesting Conversation Starter

Seems quite arbitary really. Im going to go for a Llama from the local petting zoo, a neon sign from a bar or Barry Manilow.
Hi there - I move into my halls on September 18th or so and just looking to see what other students advise bringing with them;

So far

Wok
Pot
Couple of plates/ bits of cutlery
Glass/cup
Laptop
Stationery
Earphones
Immediate food essentials
Sheets if required
Ps3 if I trust my room-mates
Weeks supply of clothing
Books

Anything else ?
A duvet and pillows plus towels..
Kettle/toaster/toastie machine?
Dish basin/Dish rack - both times around, my flat had neither.
Bleach, dettol, fairy liquid, rubber gloves and a scrubbing brush - if your flat is as dirty as mine was on moving in, you'll want to literally scrub everything.
Tea towels
Kitchen bits - a grater, kitchen knives, bottle and tin opener
An alarm clock - or failing that, your phone
An extension lead - my room only had 4 sockets
Coathangers
Bin bags
Batteries
Pans/plates - you'll probably need a lot due to flatmates who burn on food, or stick plastic plates in the microwave
Washing powder and change for machines
All your documents - passport, birth cert, nhs medical card, uni certificates, exam certificates, bank details, proof of address..
Flip flops for showering
Air freshener
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 207
Original post by That Bearded Man
Hi there - I move into my halls on September 18th or so and just looking to see what other students advise bringing with them;

So far

Wok
Pot
Glass/cup
Laptop
Stationery
Earphones
Sheets if required
Weeks supply of clothing
Books

Anything else ?

Don't worry about your room mates, you have a lock on your door; I'm going to have a PS3 and an Xbox 360 in mine.
If you're taking a TV, or plan to watch live TV on a laptop, a TV license :smile:
Original post by charlotte-rose
My list:

Haha - all great points - I'm commenting just to say how great ur maths signature is. Flirtation via integration....kinky.

I'm gonna steal it :biggrin:
Some things that came in really handy
- sewing kit for when clothes from Primark get a hole/thread and you're too poor to replace them.
- mini tool kit, i had a mirror that the screw always came undone on so this was handy.
- corkscrew incase you buy a screw bottle of wine.
- keyring for your halls key and fob.
- lots of pens and highlighters.
- plasters.
- medical supplies i.e paracetamol, cold and flu tablets, sore throat sweets, vitamin C, iron, multivitamins.
- take some small cartons of orange juice or something to keep in your room (like under your bed where you're not going to be tempted to drink them) so that if you ever run out of juice and are too hungover to get to the shop you've got some there :smile:
- im getting a mattress topper this year too :smile:
Original post by That Bearded Man

So far

Wok
Pot
Glass/cup
Laptop
Stationery
Earphones
Sheets if required
Weeks supply of clothing
Books

Anything else ?

Where are you going to hide it? :teehee:

Seriously though, I can imagine sticky notes being a huge god send to note down dead lines, important dates etc. You can stick them anywhere, including painted walls, without them leaving marks meaning you can stick some next to your bed so you wake up looking at important reminders.
Original post by Joshalos
Where are you going to hide it? :teehee:

Seriously though, I can imagine sticky notes being a huge god send to note down dead lines, important dates etc. You can stick them anywhere, including painted walls, without them leaving marks meaning you can stick some next to your bed so you wake up looking at important reminders.

In between two textbooks :wink: whoops
Pro plus. Lots. More pro plus then you think is healthy to actually take.
*Subscribing*

Seriously good thread, especially seeing as I'm always forgetting things and will most likely need to start preparing now haha.
Reply 215
Best decision I ever made was taking a Poker set to uni, everyone loves a game of strip poker!

And for some of you, its probs your only chance to see some boobs!
Reply 216
Tweezers!
Wellies 'cause your gunna be knee deep in clunge?

No really can't beat a good pair of wellies in winter :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I wish id brought lemsip. I didnt think id need it so soon :frown:!
If you're sharing "bathroom" facilities with other students, you may wish to invest in one of these.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending