The Student Room Group

What's the One Thing they don't tell you to pack...

Scroll to see replies

loving this thread
Reply 41
a stupid amount of cutlery expecially tea spooons
Reply 42
SereneTurmoil
Yep, definitely, you'll be surprised the number of school dress up nights there are!

Something to put dirty laundry in that is also portable so you can take it to the laundry room.

Small change - go to the bank and get £10 worth of 50ps, of 20ps, and of pound coins. 50ps are like golddust at my uni!

A lamp. Useful even if you are provided with one, then you can have one for your desk and one for near your bed. The main lights aren't often particularly bright.

Squash - in case you're coming from a hardwater place to softwater or vice versa and don't like the taste!

Mugs. Spare cups, plates, bowls, and cutlery - enough for 2-4 people - even if you are catered. Disposable cups are v. useful if you have people round for pre-drinks and you can get about 50 from a £1 shop. Also a small saucepan and a wooden spoon might be good for making pasta. And of course - washing up liquid, tea towel and dishcloth.

good one... i didn't like the taste of the water when i moved from one side of town to the other!!!!
Reply 43
moomin_love
I'm going to take a mat/rug for my bathroom floor :smile: There's nothing worse than having to be carried out naked in front of all your flatmates after getting out of the shower, slipping and smashing your head on the toilet. Yes, I'm a hypochondriac and those bathrooms are so small :smile:

just LOL. :rofl:

+ve rep for youuuu :smile:
Reply 44
Your parent's credit cards.
Cutley! I think it's already been said, but I cannot stress how much you need. It will all go missing, I'm on my second set (these are full sets for like like 8-10 people) and am approaching the need to buy more. I never have knives :frown:
*suscribes* :d
I think the list of suggestions on the forum and wiki are quite comprehensive.
Reply 48
If your parents take you supermarket shopping stock up on:

Berocca
Paracetamol
Lemsip
Any cough/flu remedies

You WILL get freshers flu, and it's suprising how much medicine costs! Especially the jazzy beechams all in one capsules. It's always handy to have them around.
MHorman
Lol, this isn't my idea, i read it somewhere...
I'm doing the same thing atm, starting to wodner what stuff i will need...

Item: A Traffic Cone

Reason: An interesting Conversation Starter

this Issas so funny...either that or yellow caution tape across the door threshold. Lmao
Mchunnigan1
this Issas so funny...either that or yellow caution tape across the door threshold. Lmao

Err no it's not. Not even remotly funny.
Reply 51
Sticky tape, drawing pins, bluetack.

And stationery. Yes, I forgot to bring pens.
Reply 52
Toilet roll - yes, I forgot...
A baseball bat to whack your annoying flatmates around the head when you can't stand them anymore
Lots of room spray to disguise your room smell/the smell of you/the smell of smoke/anything that doesn't smell nice
Cutlery. Marker pen it so you can have a go when you see someone using your stuff and then not washing it up after.
Reply 54
this thread is great, i'm going to save it to my favs and hope I remember to come back to it in the summer - I would never have thought to bring a corkscrew!
1. Don't take too much
2. Earplugs
3. Money

Honestly, that's all the advice I have. Take what's ESSENTIAL and will obviously sell out during freshers but anything else just chill about.
Reply 56
safety pins
Reply 57
loving this one, just having a laugh :smile: im gonna add some things when i start in august :biggrin:
Reply 58
misswilliams
1. Don't take too much
2. Earplugs
3. Money

Honestly, that's all the advice I have. Take what's ESSENTIAL and will obviously sell out during freshers but anything else just chill about.

I agree. Buy things like washing up liquid and washing powder / tablets when you get up there.
Reply 59
this thread has inspired me to make a little box of things for my friend when she goes away in september

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending