The Student Room Group

What's the One Thing they don't tell you to pack...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
there was 10 of us sharing a kitchen but not 1 of us thought to bring oven gloves - think we all burnt ourselves trying to use cheap thin tea towels!
think we also only had 1 potato peeler between us!

a foam matress topper - uni beds are never going to comfy! my bed was the envy of all my friends when they realised what a difference the topper made.

if you plan to drink a lot i got a lot of alcohol together over the summer whilst i had a bit of money and it lasted me pretty much the whole year! saved a lot of money!

airbed if you plan to have friends visit!
Reply 81
Han265
there was 10 of us sharing a kitchen but not 1 of us thought to bring oven gloves - think we all burnt ourselves trying to use cheap thin tea towels!
think we also only had 1 potato peeler between us!

a foam matress topper - uni beds are never going to comfy! my bed was the envy of all my friends when they realised what a difference the topper made.

if you plan to drink a lot i got a lot of alcohol together over the summer whilst i had a bit of money and it lasted me pretty much the whole year! saved a lot of money!

airbed if you plan to have friends visit!

Glad I'm not the only person who is doing this!!
Reply 82
hahaha glad ive fort of this :smile: although now i do think maybe i should buy some oven gloves lol
YoCole
hahaha glad ive fort of this :smile: although now i do think maybe i should buy some oven gloves lol

Glad I have thought of this, although now I think it may be an idea to buy some oven gloves.
Reply 84
Essential money saving things that will help you get through Freshers' Fortnight unscathed!

www.cleverstudentmoney.wordpress.com

Latest blog post discusses packing for uni!
:smile:
my boyfriend rang me on his first day moving into halls to tell me about how he forgot toilet roll.
i asked him what his alternative was?....
just to get in the shower straight after and bend over.
nice.
guys, what about those who come from other countries? ;D Do you also take kitchen stuff, lots of dvds, toilet rolls etc with you ? : DD I actually have no idea how to fit everything in 1-2luggages :\ : D
shutthedoor
guys, what about those who come from other countries? ;D Do you also take kitchen stuff, lots of dvds, toilet rolls etc with you ? : DD I actually have no idea how to fit everything in 1-2luggages :\ : D

A lot of unis sell you bedding/kitchen stuff when you get there.

Even if they don't it's easier to buy them cheaply at a local place then struggle trying to bring them from another country...
I started in September and here is my list of everything I didn't bring but wish I did (and some stuff that I bought that my friends didn't):

1. Shoe rack. My shoes are still in a pile at the end of my bed.
2. Big plastic boxes for storage under my bed. Instead, I have things like shoes at the end of my bed and hoodies in the bottom of my wardrobe.
3. A hook to go over the top of my door. Instead my hoodies are in the bottom of my wardrobe and my coat is over my chair because it won't fit in my wardrobe.
4. A sewing kit. I got my hoody attached to a barbed wire fence one night and it still has a mahoosive hole in the arm.
5. Blister plasters. Heels. 'Nuff said.
6. Face paints. You can get these super cheap from Wilkos but we wished we had them to hand at the start.
7. Proper scissors. Wigs to trim, outfits to chop up.
8. Cheesy dvds! Don't try to be all "cool" with your film collection. I bought nothing but chick flicks and Disney films and my collection is the most watched in my corridor :P
9. Games like Cranium and Scrabble. Bloomin' hilarious nights in teamed with alcohomahol and pizza.
Boxes.

And blue tack!
Original post by MHorman
Lol, this isn't my idea, i read it somewhere...
I'm doing the same thing atm, starting to wodner what stuff i will need...

Item: A Traffic Cone

Reason: An interesting Conversation Starter

Reaction: This guy is a clichéd, attention-seeking douche...
Reply 91
A decent mattress topper - even if you're renting a house, landlords don't usually make the effort to ensure your bed is anywhere near comfortable. The bed frame that came with my room is very near the end of its life, so if you can afford it it may be a good idea to buy a decent bed too.

An over-the-door hook for stray clothes/bags/scarves. Wardrobe simply isn't big enough.

Laundry baskets - great for storing studio stuff under the bed as well as clothes that don't fit in the undersized wardrobe or dresser. Also great for carrying stuff around the house, usually washing.

Shower organiser with a hook so you don't get bruises on your feet from dropping shampoo bottles in the shower. Hurts like hell.
Original post by shaniceee29
i asked him what his alternative was?....
just to get in the shower straight after and bend over.
nice.

:puke:

Although It'll be years till I'll be going to uni myself (IF I go to uni that is), I can think of something people haven't mentioned already such as those clothes bags where you can vacuum the air out of to make them to make them a lot smaller as I imagine the lack of space may cause some problems...
Hangers; enough mugs to have people around for drinks; spare lamp; and having a mini fridge is pretty much the best thing ever.
Reply 94
Original post by linkdapink
A bottle opener with a corkscrew on it. There will always be a time when someone buys a wine bottle with a cork on it, rather than a screw top, and you'll be going round room to room trying to find one!

I agree with a corkscrew! A corkscrew can make you a friend for life! (Sad :frown:)

Also a shower shelf thing with suction cups. Me and my fllatmate use the same shower gel and when the cleaner comes in, it is always a guessing game as to who owns what...
(edited 13 years ago)
Sore throat stuff and pain killers.
Any type of raincoat/umbrella...

Or am i the only one that stupid... lol
Reply 97
Do not click the spoiler.

Spoiler

Original post by -beads-
Do not click the spoiler.

Spoiler

judging by some of your other posts on this forum, i have come to the following conclusion...

you're a ****ing nympho aren't you? :awesome:
Reply 99
Portable clothes horse - how I wish I had one of these.

Quick Reply

Latest