The Student Room Group

What's the One Thing they don't tell you to pack...

Scroll to see replies

A fat person so if you run out of food you can eat them
Loadzzzzz of coathangers. I never have enough on washing/drying days.
Postcards - handiest things ever!
iPod/MP3 dock - for those nights in the kitchen and because laptop speakers just aren't that good.
Original post by rach_s
egg cups. even if you dont like eggs. nobody brings them, be there to save the day when eggs are rolling around all about the place..

Also, they can be used to replace shot glasses when you run out!
Reply 103
Original post by Ice_Queen
Yes! We once had a corked bottle, we went at it with a pen knife, with a dirty screw (that's how desperate we were to open the wine) and any other small sharp implement we could find!

Pfffft amateur.
Cut off the foil, wrap a towel round the bottle and whack the bottom against the wall.
Cork'll pop out in no time
not at uni yet, but my sister comes back every couple of weeks with a list of stuff she forgot :/
soooo
peeler - as in the potato kind.. not sure if there is another but yeeaah...
shampoo
blue tack
never ending supply of pens, pencils, tippex, pads, post-it notes, elastic bands, staples, glue
fancy dress (there are like a minimum of 4 parties you have to dress up for... unless you're a bit of a social avoider..
COFFEE! or pep pills.. something, ANYTHING with caffeine in...
and teabags
boxes, the plastic type that are really light weight and cheap and fold up really small, you can never have enough boxes
toothpaste...everyone remembers toothbrush but never toothpaste..

and don't bother with dvds, if you've got money to burn just buy a hard drive and get a few hundred films on it
Judging by the stories my friends tell:

A sense of dignity and decorum :wink:
Original post by munn
Pfffft amateur.
Cut off the foil, wrap a towel round the bottle and whack the bottom against the wall.
Cork'll pop out in no time

We didn't have a towel.
Reply 107
We didn't have a towel.

Well then use a t-shirt
Original post by munn
Well then use a t-shirt

It was three am in the middle of a field. In winter.
Reply 109
It was three am in the middle of a field. In winter.

No excuse. The needs of the alcohol outweighs the needs of the few
Original post by munn
No excuse. The needs of the alcohol outweighs the needs of the few

I'm teetotal :p: And none of the walls were particularly stable (we only had those big metal containers).
Air freshener! Some rooms can get pretty dirty at uni and if you want to bring ppl back to your room you don't want it stinkin of sweaty socks and BO!
Camera tripod

Note/postcards. Seriously, I've used so many of the things since starting, they've been lifesavers.

Those small pocket tins of Vaseline for chapped lips. Needed it so much in this cold weather.

First aid kit. I was told I wouldn't need it but what happens last month? I stab myself in the hand.

Plastic carrier bags to use in the bin.

Handiest things ever when hair refuses to behave itself.

A spare computer mouse. I was forced to go without one until I was able to go back home and pick a working one up.

Decent headphones. Great for when a party is blasting out at 3 in the morning and you need to block it out.
Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds

A spare computer mouse. I was forced to go without one until I was able to go back home and pick a working one up.

THAT.

I had my mouse go and luckily i had a mouse joystick built into my wireless keyboard but that sucked and it took like 3 days to get a new one and it was the most annoying thing ever.

For the tiny cost of like £10 for a nice mouse to just have it spare in a cupboard saves so much effort/hassle when yours breaks...
Those multi-plug things, when you get lots of plug holes on a slab,so you can plug in loads of things at one time. If that makes sense. It probably doesn't. :smile:
A vibrator.
Forks. I began this semester with about six/seven forks, and now I have one left. I'm not even sure where that one is at the moment, my room is a mess from packing. :smile:

Earplugs are also great. Homebargains were selling a set of eight foam earplugs for something like 40p not too long ago- no idea if they still are though.

Oh, and air freshener (Oust is my preferred brand) - ESPECIALLY if you're sharing a bathroom with quite a large number of people. I shared with eleven people before switching to an en-suite, and I'm so glad I thought to buy some. :smile:
Pack up your troubles :wink:

Seriously leave it behind, uni is a new life
Reply 118
I don't know if it's the same for everyone else but SO MANY people forgot a can opener! If you actually want to eat beans and soup it is a definite must!
Original post by VictoriaH
I don't know if it's the same for everyone else but SO MANY people forgot a can opener! If you actually want to eat beans and soup it is a definite must!

I found that if you're committed and hungry enough for that can of beans a knife will do the job :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest