The Student Room Group

What's the One Thing they don't tell you to pack...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
I wish i never read this thread. Now i'll be broke before the first week.
cool thread! :smile:
Reply 142
Is it true that you have to bring your own cookery and cutlery items when you move into university accommodation??? I was reading the list university made for students what they should bring with them and found that cookery and cutlery items are not provided.... :frown:
Original post by TheBunny
Is it true that you have to bring your own cookery and cutlery items when you move into university accommodation??? I was reading the list university made for students what they should bring with them and found that cookery and cutlery items are not provided.... :frown:

Yea you have to bring your own...

Most unis will sell a kit though of the basic stuff you need which works out fairly cheap...

Or go to the local supermarket which will be stocked up with cheap stuff for students...
Reply 144
Original post by tehsponge
This thread is depressing. I'm coming from overseas so I'll have to buy everything there D:

Fed-ex it!
Reply 145
Great thread :smile: I was wondering whether anyone has ever bought one of the university packs from allunied.com? Are they good value for money/decent quality? I'm talking more along the lines of their kitchen packs as I already have bedding I'll be taking.
Original post by jess.
Great thread :smile: I was wondering whether anyone has ever bought one of the university packs from allunied.com? Are they good value for money/decent quality? I'm talking more along the lines of their kitchen packs as I already have bedding I'll be taking.

I have no idea how much some of those things cost normally, but I'd just buy the stuff myself - seems like a bit of a con.
Reply 147
Original post by jess.

buy from wilkinsons, so much cheaper and you can get everything you need really
Original post by TheBunny

Yeah in most halls you do. My halls provided plates, cutlery, cups and pans and it wasn't that good to be honest I'd rather have bought my own stuff. Because when it's shared everyone uses everything and washes up nothing. If you had one plate each then you'd keep it clean or at least there wouldn't be 8 dirty plates when you want to use one...
Reply 149
AArgh, leaving for halls in september.. So much stuff I would never have thought of D:
Posting so I can come back and read responses later (: Cause my free lesson just ended (N)
Not at uni yet and don't know if they're provided in some halls but I bet loads of people forget toilet brushes. And probably cleaning products in general.

(Mainly important, I guess, if you're in an ensuite and/or have ocd)
Original post by samanthaofficer
I cant wait for September so I'm amusing myself with "What to take to Uni lists".

But .... Just for a laugh

Whats the One thing they DONT tell you you'll need ....

And like on a looong holiday when you forget that one very important thing !!

Be at your funniest.

I don't know if they have that in the list or not, but make sure you have contact numbers for everything:

Taxis
All possible university phone numbers
Local Police number
Some delivery restaurants for when you just want to enjoy an awesome meal (pizza, chinese,...)
Loving Thiss <3 Scared im going to forget something tho
Original post by BalanceCommaGirl
Not at uni yet and don't know if they're provided in some halls but I bet loads of people forget toilet brushes. And probably cleaning products in general.

(Mainly important, I guess, if you're in an ensuite and/or have ocd)

My halls provided them in some rooms but not in others :/
And all the 'old' flats had washing up bowls but the new refurbished flats didn't for some reason.

Ice cube tray/bags will come in handy because water in halls isn't usually very cold.

Earplugs for when your flatmates are being noisy when you want to work or sleep!
Made a list of things I'm planning on taking to UNI in september and uploaded it to google docs for a friend and thought i'd share here.

It doesn't include clothes.
If you want to add than do so at the bottom :P
If you want to edit the have/don't have/don't want than download as excel document or go file>make a copy> than edit the copy and do whatever you want with it

Remember it's fully editable by anyone so any changes you make will last forever.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajj2bjlgdc4tdGxkR3BFazZWRXN2YklxQjVpczc0Z0E&hl=en_US&authkey=CIKcmdAC
fancy dress clothes
measuring jug/scales
hand whisk

amongst the usual array of odd items to take :smile:
Reply 157
I haven't looked through the rest of the thread, so sorry if I say some things already mentioned.
Coat hangers!!
A door stop
Xmas decorations :P (We decided to go out and buy a tree etc and put them up in November in our flat)
Proplus and redbull
Paracetamol
Random fancy dress stuff (And the standard school uniform)
Printer (or just don't leave printing work off until the last minute like I did, when it's inevitable there won't be a computer free at your uni)
Emergency cash in your room
Reply 158
In the 2 years I've been in student accommodation for A levels the things you forget are usually the things you use most often but take for granted, eg decent tea towels (and bath towels) toothbrush holder/caps.

I broke my toilet seat in the first month being here (don't ask me how) and in a house of 47 people nobody had super glue!

all purpose surface cleaner and bleach spray (our cleaner is shocking)
Scales. Aside from the obvious they are really useful for weighing luggage for going away.
Sharpies!
Plenty of socks, as in shared laundry rooms your stuff gets thrown around and socks seem to run away.
(another tip, be SURE of when your wash cycle ends because people are inconsiderate and will just dump your stuff anywhere, on the floor or throw it around, so it will need washing again. Which is expensive!)
Reply 159
My sister's leaving for uni in September and for her birthday in August I'm filling up a shoebox with nice, useful things for uni like sweets, pens, sellotape, a doorstop and some other stuff. This thread is helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending