The Student Room Group

Do you like gilets?

Scroll to see replies

Lindsey123
I see gilet, I think prick. No idea why.

Same ... Why don't you wear something different instead of following everyone else? I really, really hate them and sometimes when I see a Jack Wills one, I want to kill them!
I poke them on when i'm a bit cold but not putting on another jumper cold.
kiwietnana
Same ... Why don't you wear something different instead of following everyone else? I really, really hate them and sometimes when I see a Jack Wills one, I want to kill them!

How do you think clothing works? Everybody wears something that somebody else wears. Surely if what you're saying is true for gilets, it's true for jeans, or boots, or handbags, or jumpers, or any other item of clothing? It's practical, it's warm, it's nice. Why shouldn't you wear it?

It just seems like a really pathetic thing to get worked up over.
Reply 23
Jellynubbin
I'd prefer a jacket, maybe a blazer or something, personally. Too many of the 'cool kids' that are now wearing them, teased me for mine 4 years ago. Not saying you're like that, but that's just my experience.

I hate it when people do that, I wore a checkered shirt a few years before everyone started wearing them, I was called a lumberjack... now every Tom, Dick and Harry is wearing them. Hypocrites
Reply 24
They're lovely :smile:
I wear mine quite often, make sure you invest in a decent one though (even if the ocassional feather pops out of it :biggrin: )
If you have one iota of style. You don't have a gilet.
i have one that i wear quite a lot, i like them. :smile:
Those ugly black padded ones are still worn in Hackney and they look ****.

Please if you consider wearing one get a nice one!!

Though personally nothing beats a lightweight jacket/shirt to cover your arms when it is too chilly for a T shirt.
I wear them and I agree, they're perfect for wearing over hoodies. I didn't even know they were in fashion a few years ago, I couldn't care less about trends tbh :biggrin:. It bugs me when people wear what is in fashion even if it doesn't suit them.
Reply 29
I can't stand the 100 quid Jack Wills ones everyone is wearing to show off and pretend they're well off country folk, when everyone knows they're not.

In general, as a style, I like some of them. I bought a red and grey one last time they were in fashion about 5 years ago and have worn it now and then ever since.
I wore one a long time ago before I came to uni, but I left it at home.

I'd rather just wear my hoodie now, but the gilet was ever so warm.
Reply 31
Personally, I think they look **** but in any case, most people wear things which I consider to be ****. Wear a light coat, it just looks way better.
Reply 32
Shyness is nice, but
After pondering the matter further I have concluded that Bret Mckenzie is the only man that is allowed to wear a gilet. But he is a sexy mutha'ucka.

Ther are too many mutha'uckas and they're 'ucking with my shi'.
Reply 33
Soo sloaney. I just dislike them because the people who wear them always seem to be your typical sloane ranger. Not a great look in my opinion, but depends how you wear it I suppose.

On a separate note, both my parents own them...but they are also in their mid 50's.
Reply 34
teddybomb
Soo sloaney. I just dislike them because the people who wear them always seem to be your typical sloane ranger. Not a great look in my opinion, but depends how you wear it I suppose.

On a separate note, both my parents own them...but they are also in their mid 50's.

To be fair, Princess Diana was a Sloanie and she was hardly a nasty person :smile:

But also, being a hooray Henry isn't particularly desirable. I'll be honest though, I'm not like that at all - even if I do dress like it.

I like the preppy style but I don't like the stereotypical personality. Best of both worlds in my opinion! :smile:

I wear Jack Wills and I don't care if it makes me look like I'm up myself, I and the people who know me understand that I'm not like that and that's fine by me :smile:
Reply 35
I've had mine for ages and then Jack Wills brought out that blue one with the fur hood and they went mad with them. Then superdry followed suit and we now have a clone gillet army :frown: I'll stay with my PRL one thank you.
Reply 36
Reems
I've had mine for ages and then Jack Wills brought out that blue one with the fur hood and they went mad with them. Then superdry followed suit and we now have a clone gillet army :frown: I'll stay with my PRL one thank you.

I love Ralph Lauren.

:smile:
Reply 37
JemSevenV
To be fair, Princess Diana was a Sloanie and she was hardly a nasty person :smile:

But also, being a hooray Henry isn't particularly desirable. I'll be honest though, I'm not like that at all - even if I do dress like it.

I like the preppy style but I don't like the stereotypical personality. Best of both worlds in my opinion! :smile:

I wear Jack Wills and I don't care if it makes me look like I'm up myself, I and the people who know me understand that I'm not like that and that's fine by me :smile:

To be fair, I work in Windsor, so the amount of pretentious gilet-wearing Eton boys I encounter every day may have affected my opinion slightly...:rolleyes:
Reply 38
teddybomb
To be fair, I work in Windsor, so the amount of pretentious gilet-wearing Eton boys I encounter every day may have affected my opinion slightly...:rolleyes:

That's an extreme though... Eton is upper class without a doubt. They're bascially guaranteed to be like that!

Those are the people who pay stupid amounts to go to the Jack Wills parties, aka plonkers.

Windsor is nice though :smile:
Nah, waistcoats for the win :sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest