The Student Room Group

Weird Question on all saints job application

SO yeah, applying for a job cause I'm broke. Last page of job application, got no idea how to answer said question

"How would you style a customer and sell them key items from our current collection? "

Anyone more sartorially aware than me able to gimmie some tips on solver this poser? Like really.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Something like... "I'd make them look distinctive like DNA".

Say something outrageous. A line or two that GRAB the reader. They see tonnes of these crappy application forms every day. Make yours STAND OUT.
Reply 2
Yeah, yeah of course, but like, I'm basically wanting someone to answer the question for me, then I'll put it in to my own wacky words.
I'm as broke as it gets.
Reply 3
Well, do you know much of their current collection? Find a few absolutely key, in-fashion pieces and wind them into an outfit. Then expand on what you'd do to really convince the person that they had to have this item.
I'm really sorry but I don't think you deserve a job if you can't be bothered to sit and think for 5 minutes, on how to make your application stand out.

Use your initiative. Think outside the box.
Reply 5
trouble.kissesx
I'm really sorry but I don't think you deserve a job if you can't be bothered to sit and think for 5 minutes, on how to make your application stand out.

Use your initiative. Think outside the box.

It's a totally useless question, considering the work you're actually expected to carry out as a part time sales assistant. I just spent a bunch of time answering "what inspires you?" and "describe an all saints customer", so forgive me if I've not to the energy to answer yet another entirely superfluous question that has nothing at all to do with the reality of the job I'm applying for (read: slave who folds clothes and tidies)

Do my thinking for me, wise guy.
Reply 6
If you haven't got the patience to deal with a SLIGHTLY irritating application form you can do in your own time, you haven't got the patience to deal with hundreds of VERY irritating customers on a Saturday morning.

You ain't retail material darling.
Wow, some bitchy replies in this thread. The man was simply asking for some suggestions/inspiration, what mean people you are.
bete noire
Yeah, yeah of course, but like, I'm basically wanting someone to answer the question for me, then I'll put it in to my own wacky words.
I'm as broke as it gets.

Read the bold part. Erm, where does that say inspiration? To me, that reads "Write it for me and do the hard part, then I'll re-word it."

I'm sorry but that's part of the job. I get people coming up to me and asking how to team one item with another, and effectivly style them, and yes - I am a part time sales assistent. You can't always ask a manager or someone higher, there simply isn't the time, and besides you will be working there so you should be willing to help the customer should they need it!

Maybe retail isn't for you? And especially not All Saints. They like people with individuality, maybe you should take a look in the shop and think. Everyone has a brain, you just need to use it.
Reply 9
trouble.kissesx
Read the bold part. Erm, where does that say inspiration? To me, that reads "Write it for me and do the hard part, then I'll re-word it."

I was talking about the other questions on the application, what are you talking about?

trouble.kissesx

I'm sorry but that's part of the job. I get people coming up to me and asking how to team one item with another, and effectivly style them, and yes - I am a part time sales assistent. You can't always ask a manager or someone higher, there simply isn't the time, and besides you will be working there so you should be willing to help the customer should they need it!

Maybe retail isn't for you? And especially not All Saints. They like people with individuality, maybe you should take a look in the shop and think. Everyone has a brain, you just need to use it.

Hm, whatever, really. I'm not asking for your opinion on anything, just the best way to answer the question. I've worked in retail before and have tonnes of retail experience, and I've got plenty of individuality I just don't know how to answer that question in particular.

If you do, help me out, please. if you don't, pipe down.
Reply 10
Melissa_S
If you haven't got the patience to deal with a SLIGHTLY irritating application form you can do in your own time, you haven't got the patience to deal with hundreds of VERY irritating customers on a Saturday morning.

The two really aren't very comparable. I've done plenty of Saturday morning shifts, they're easier to do than filling out application forms.

And, I'm not your darling, Melissa.
Melissa_S

Lol, I have no patience with application forms but used to manage an extremely busy cafe and always managed to keep a smile on my face. Some people have different strengths and weaknesses!
OP- how about you go into the shop or check the website, find one particular "look" eg military/ whatever, and put together an outfit, and then talk about how you would sell it based on the cut, how flattering it is, try to find out what the customer is looking for and matching the clothes to their needs etc.
That was a rubbish answer, but hope you can find something useful amongst all the babble :biggrin:
Reply 12
I'll try my best.
Melissa_S

Melissa has spoken.

But really, you can write something about how you would perhaps form links between what they actually want, and some of the key items. Soap and hand towels, for example (if hand towels are a key collection item). Advertisers do it all the time.
Reply 14
Say things like you would ask the customer what they are looking for, find them a variety of choices, then piece together a look they feel comfortable with, then add on sales: shoes, bags, belts.

They basically want to know that your good at customer service and selling. I can imagine All Saints being big on daily targets ect.
Because I am female I would describe what I would pick out for another female, but it might help you a little bit.

First of all think about the key trends for Spring/Summer 2010, this shows you are aware of what is going on in the fashion world and take some sort of active interest.

I mean if you look at blogs like this - http://iwantigot.geekigirl.com/2010/01/18/spring-summer-2010-runway-fashion-trends/ and this http://www.fashionising.com/trends/b--Spring-2010-Fashion-Trends-Womens-SS-2010-1288.html a lot of what has been seen on the runway that will translate to the high street is listed and examples with pictures given.

Then if you look at the All Saints website you can pick out things that will tie in with this. When serving a customer your response to them should be really personal, be ready to tailor your approach to the particular needs to each individual you serve by asking them open ended questions to find out what they want. If I had free range I would personally choose the Poseiden top in chalk, because the draping is pretty current and vintage floral patterns seem quite appealing at the moment and put this with the 37 Kari shorts and Kai flat sandals for the daytime. It fun and feminine whilst having a little bit more edge. The Poseiden top can also easily be taken into the evening by changing the shorts for the Ettin Ashby skinnies. Denim will pretty much always be in. Put on a blazer for the military feel then add a few larger but still dainty accessories, the Imala cuff and earrings maybe and heels, on the website I quite liked the black Martha shoes. Accessories are easy to link sell but often really make an outfit.

I mean that wasn't that hard, it didn't involve major amounts of thought and if you click on something on the website it even suggests items to possibly go with it. In terms of selling the idea I'd play up the benefits of each piece, how they are unique to All Saints and involve showcasing all the best ideas taken straight from the runway that everyone can wear. Plus how good/flattering is the outfit you've chosen going to make someone look and feel and is it unique enough to warrant the price tag? You have to make someone feel like they can't leave without buying those clothes.
Reply 16
NatalieMT
Because I am female I would describe what I would pick out for another female, but it might help you a little bit.

First of all think about the key trends for Spring/Summer 2010, this shows you are aware of what is going on in the fashion world and take some sort of active interest.

I mean if you look at blogs like this - http://iwantigot.geekigirl.com/2010/01/18/spring-summer-2010-runway-fashion-trends/ and this http://www.fashionising.com/trends/b--Spring-2010-Fashion-Trends-Womens-SS-2010-1288.html a lot of what has been seen on the runway that will translate to the high street is listed and examples with pictures given.

Then if you look at the All Saints website you can pick out things that will tie in with this. When serving a customer your response to them should be really personal, be ready to tailor your approach to the particular needs to each individual you serve by asking them open ended questions to find out what they want. If I had free range I would personally choose the Poseiden top in chalk, because the draping is pretty current and vintage floral patterns seem quite appealing at the moment and put this with the 37 Kari shorts and Kai flat sandals for the daytime. It fun and feminine whilst having a little bit more edge. The Poseiden top can also easily be taken into the evening by changing the shorts for the Ettin Ashby skinnies. Denim will pretty much always be in. Put on a blazer for the military feel then add a few larger but still dainty accessories, the Imala cuff and earrings maybe and heels, on the website I quite liked the black Martha shoes.

I mean that wasn't that hard, it didn't involve major amounts of thought and if you click on something on the website it even suggests items to possibly go with it. In terms of selling the idea I'd play up the benefits of each piece, how they are unique to All Saints and involve showcasing all the best ideas taken straight from the runway that everyone can wear. Plus how good is the outfit you've chosen going to make someone look and feel and is it unique enough to warrant the price tag? You have to make someone feel like they can't leave without buying those clothes.

Yeah, this'll do, cheers.
bete noire
Yeah, this'll do, cheers.

I gave you an example but you are going to have to think about it for yourself on a day to day basis should you get the job, so do some research and seem interested in the company. They might ask you to dress a mannequin for example or it's quite common at interview to be given an item to then have to describe how you would sell it. They might even ask you what you know about All Saints!

Plus they will judge you on what you wear and how trained your eye is to pick things that go together, so a little practice looking on the All Saints website wouldn't go a miss. Just saying I personally would do all those things in preparation for a potential job because it's caught me out previously.
What about saying something completely different like "I'd have to style the outfit based on the customers look, everyone is an individual blah blah blah"
Reply 19
NatalieMT
I gave you an example but you are going to have to think about it for yourself on a day to day basis should you get the job, so do some research and seem interested in the company. They might ask you to dress a mannequin for example or it's quite common at interview to be given an item to then have to describe how you would sell it. They might even ask you what you know about All Saints!

Plus they will judge you on what you wear and how trained your eye is to pick things that go together, so a little practice looking on the All Saints website wouldn't go a miss. Just saying I personally would do all those things in preparation for a potential job because it's caught me out previously.

Yeah, not that I don't totally appreciate your help here, Blanche, but don't patronise me too much.

I can think for myself, and I've been to job interviews before. I'm not going to copy what you've written verbatim, I'm not a moron. I could dress a mannequin, and at least in my opinion opinion, myself, quite well, I just couldn't put it in to words on paper or an application. My interest in fashion is more of a knowing looks I dig, what I like, where to buy it from and how to put things together kind of deal, as opposed to any of that technical Spring Line, Autumn Line, Catwalk and Tailoring mumbo jumbo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending