The Student Room Group

Have I got any chance getting in with...

Hi, can anyone help please? Totally freaking, just had a talk at college for people wanting to become vets and medics. They seemed to be suggesting to have any hope of getting in we would need 10 a*'s at GCSE and that we would need to come from a local comprehensive not a grammar, like me although I did come from just the local primary before.
I got 5a*'s, 6a's and a c, taking the right a levels, got loads of work experience really. Do you think I stand a chance of getting in, so is there any truth in what they've said, or am I just wasting my time?
Thanks!
Tasha
x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There is NO truth in what they've told you!! No you definitely don't need straight a*'s at GCSE, so don't panic!! Your grades are fine :smile: go for it!
Reply 2
tasha...x
Hi, can anyone help please? Totally freaking, just had a talk at college for people wanting to become vets and medics. They seemed to be suggesting to have any hope of getting in we would need 10 a*'s at GCSE and that we would need to come from a local comprehensive not a grammar, like me although I did come from just the local primary before.
I got 5a*'s, 6a's and a c, taking the right a levels, got loads of work experience really. Do you think I stand a chance of getting in, so is there any truth in what they've said, or am I just wasting my time?
Thanks!
Tasha
x

you do not need 10 A*s, your GCSEs are great, it also doesn't matter what sort of school you're at. as long as you have enough, quality, work experience and achieve a minimum of AAB at A level then you should be fine :yep:
Reply 3
oh good was really scared! thank you :biggrin: well fingers crossed for next year! xxx
Reply 4
tasha...x
Thanks!
Tasha
x

They are talking rubbish. I have 3A*s and 6As, your GCSEs are better than mine. As long as you get the ten weeks minimum varied work experience (4 weeks at at least two vets, 6 weeks other animal experience), you've got a fantastic chance. Do you know where you'd like to apply?
Reply 5
oh good thanks :smile: and yeah definately RVC and Nottingham and then two of Liverpool, Bristol or possibly Edinburgh (although its a hell of a long way away!) where did you apply to? (and wow thats brilliant with your offers :smile:
Reply 6
Liverpool, RVC, Bristol and Nottingham :smile: And thank you, I didn't find out until Friday (for RVC) and Monday (for Liverpool)! I was convinced I was going to get four rejections.

Definitely go for Liverpool :yep: It's fantastic :biggrin:

Have you visited/are you going to visit any of them? I would really recommend doing that. I thought I'd hate Liverpool and fell in love with it, and I thought I'd love Nottingham and hated it!
Reply 7
oh wow well done! and yeah i've visited nottingham twice, RVC and liverpool and am doing bristol in april :smile: and thats really funny so far nottingham has been my favorite and honestly Liverpool scared me a bit! but RVC did seem lovely oh well, hosetly if any ever end up giving me an offer thats where i'l go im not too picky!
Reply 8
tasha...x
oh wow well done! and yeah i've visited nottingham twice, RVC and liverpool and am doing bristol in april :smile: and thats really funny so far nottingham has been my favorite and honestly Liverpool scared me a bit! but RVC did seem lovely oh well, hosetly if any ever end up giving me an offer thats where i'l go im not too picky!

Liverpool scared you? Haha! Nottingham terrified me, I didn't want to leave my hotel. And I just hate the idea of living in countryside for 5 years.

What sort of work experience have you got at the moment?
Reply 9
tasha...x

A person of taste clearly RVC > Liv any day :p:
samz56
There is NO truth in what they've told you!! No you definitely don't need straight a*'s at GCSE, so don't panic!! Your grades are fine :smile: go for it!

Omg samz did you not get in for vet med for 08 and 09?? Congratulations on your unconditional offers!!! you must be so happy(:
Reply 11
ahh well i live in the country now so the whole city thing scared me! The only reason london didn't I think is because i spend so much time shopping there! and i've had work experience in vets, dairy, stables, cat breeders, and sanctuaries which comes to 27 weeks so far what did you have?
GCSEs count for virtually nothing when applying for Uni. They may be taken into account but they won't be a deciding factor.
Reply 13
oh good thanks :smile: was so scared earlier!
Your results are find, dont panic.
Reply 15
tasha...x
ahh well i live in the country now so the whole city thing scared me! The only reason london didn't I think is because i spend so much time shopping there! and i've had work experience in vets, dairy, stables, cat breeders, and sanctuaries which comes to 27 weeks so far what did you have?

2 years stables, 1.5 years kennel job, 1.5 years one day a week at a SA vets (+ several full weeks), 1 week different SA vets, 1 week equine vets, 2 weeks lambing, 1 week dairy, 1 week pig farm, 1 week wildlife hospital, 1 week exotic animal unit and umm, I think that's it. Using Liverpool's way of working it out (8 hour days, 5 day weeks), it was over 50 weeks. Mental. Try and get some lambing, it's the most fun ever! Whereabouts do you live?
Reply 16
im doing lambing second week april hol! - really excited me and the horse are travelling up to devon :smile: and in this little village on outskirts of essex! literally middle of nowhere just our house fields and one or two little cottages that this really old man owns who lives little way away bit isolated really!
Reply 17
laurenl93
Omg samz did you not get in for vet med for 08 and 09?? Congratulations on your unconditional offers!!! you must be so happy(:

Nooo I didn't :frown: but I have now!!! And yep I am sooooooo amazingly happy! Still don't think it has sunk in! :p:
Your gcses are definately fine :biggrin:
Reply 19
oh good thanks :smile: and wow all your offers are amazing :O well done!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending